Nexus 6 vs pixel 3 xl

Bigleftyinaz

May 23, 2011
Visit site
With only a few days with new pixel, I prefer my nexus 6 . I like the screen over the pixel, with pixel i have to have brightness much higher then the nexus.
The pixel seems too white in color.

typing shouldnt be different,but i make less mistakes typing with my nexus . I just dont know why.

The assistant feature isnt something i need.Dont really use it. I also dont like how much harder it is to wake it up. I have it set for double tap,but it takes 3-4 taps to wake it up. Nexus requites a tap and then just swipe up.Much eaasier

Ill see if my opinon changes in a few days or i'll just haqve to pay restocking fee to return it

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Typing likely is easier on the Nexus 6 because the display is actually wider, making the keyboard (in portrait) larger.

I still have my Nexus 6 and find that while the screen is very good, it isn't capable of getting nearly as bright as the 3 XL. Do you have adaptive brightness set on?

The Nexus 6 is still quite a good phone, though a bit dated. It's perfectly serviceable if you aren't looking to run the latest games, etc, and don't mind it being a bit sluggish relative to the last few generations.

Bigleftyinaz

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Typing likely is easier on the Nexus 6 because the display is actually wider, making the keyboard (in portrait) larger.

I still have my Nexus 6 and find that while the screen is very good, it isn't capable of getting nearly as bright as the 3 XL. Do you have adaptive brightness set on?

The Nexus 6 is still quite a good phone, though a bit dated. It's perfectly serviceable if you aren't looking to run the latest games, etc, and don't mind it being a bit sluggish relative to the last few generations.

I did turn adaptive brightness on. I notice the nexus has a slight yellow hue and could be reason ive neve had eye fatigue or trouble sleeping after using phone right before bed. The pixel seems awfully white in color.The nexus brightness was usually around 25%,the pixel has to be above 55% for me to see it well

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The display brightness slider is not necessarily a linear indicator of actual Percentage. If you set the brightness to 50 percent from the Google Assistant you will what I mean.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I did turn adaptive brightness on. I notice the nexus has a slight yellow hue and could be reason ive neve had eye fatigue or trouble sleeping after using phone right before bed. The pixel seems awfully white in color.The nexus brightness was usually around 25%,the pixel has to be above 55% for me to see it well

Prior to Pie, I would usually set my brightness slider to approx 30% and was fine except when outdoors. With Pie, I now keep the slider around 50-60% except when outdoors. Point is that they changed the slider brightness effect. From 0% it takes longer to brighten up the device, and then after a certain point, it more rapidly brightens than before. Previously the brightness curve was linear, whereas it is not anymore. Pretty sure this was meant to save battery.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

As others indicated, the scaling of brightness is different. At 100%, the 3XL is far, far brighter.

Regarding how white the display can be, that's simply a matter of a vastly better-calibrated display. Whites should be white, not yellow, if you want an accurate reproduction. That said, everyone has their personal preference, so if you prefer the warmer appearance of the Nexus 6, you're not wrong to do so.

As far as impact on sleep cycle, the "Night Light" setting under Display options allows you to filter some of the blue, leaving you with a warmer image. That can be set to turn on at a time, such as 90 minutes before you regularly go to bed, or, if you prefer that altogether, can be left on all the time.

Bigleftyinaz

May 23, 2011
Visit site
As others indicated, the scaling of brightness is different. At 100%, the 3XL is far, far brighter.

Regarding how white the display can be, that's simply a matter of a vastly better-calibrated display. Whites should be white, not yellow, if you want an accurate reproduction. That said, everyone has their personal preference, so if you prefer the warmer appearance of the Nexus 6, you're not wrong to do so.

As far as impact on sleep cycle, the "Night Light" setting under Display options allows you to filter some of the blue, leaving you with a warmer image. That can be set to turn on at a time, such as 90 minutes before you regularly go to bed, or, if you prefer that altogether, can be left on all the time.

The night light setting is way to amber or whatever shade it is.i never thought nexus 6 screen had a yellow hue untill i looked at both screens side by side

Michael Detwiler

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
With only a few days with new pixel, I prefer my nexus 6 . I like the screen over the pixel, with pixel i have to have brightness much higher then the nexus.

typing shouldnt be different,but i make less mistakes typing with my nexus . I just dont know why.

The assistant feature isnt something i need.Dont really use it. I also dont like how much harder it is to wake it up. I have it set for double tap,but it takes 3-4 taps to wake it up. Nexus requites a tap and then just swipe up.Much eaasier

Ill see if my opinon changes in a few days or i'll just haqve to pay restocking fee to return it
Like saying my '72 Pinto is a better car than our '16 Expedition. STOP!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Your not going to get the latest bug fixes ,security updates,OS updates. Eventually you'll have to move on from the nexus 6 .

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I had the Nexus 6. It was a good phone but the max brightness was really dim (substantially lower than 300 nits). Never really bright enough in sunlight. The brightness slider behavior has actually improved to a more accurate scale.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, the camera wasn't a selling point until the Nexus 6P and 5X.

The 6P is on Jerryrigeverything's wall of shame as one of the easiest to bend smartphones ever made. I watched his YouTube video testing it.... it bent like a stick of butter lol. I've read on the forums here of folks bending them in their pockets. I guess Google really has come a long way ;-)

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I hated my Nexus 6 from day one until the day I replaced it with a 6P (which I loved, BTW).

There were many reasons for my feelings about the 6; the curved back was right up there near the top of the list.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I hated my Nexus 6 from day one until the day I replaced it with a 6P (which I loved, BTW).

There were many reasons for my feelings about the 6; the curved back was right up there near the top of the list.

I had the 6p loved it also , sold it but still have 5x . I should of got rid the 5x instead of the 6p but now the device is for fun and little projects .

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
The Nexus 6 was my 1st Google phone and I actually enjoyed it. Minus the horrible camera.

But ya, that is history now. Can't really compare N6 to 3 xl. It's just not fair LOL

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
The 6P is on Jerryrigeverything's wall of shame as one of the easiest to bend smartphones ever made. I watched his YouTube video testing it.... it bent like a stick of butter lol. I've read on the forums here of folks bending them in their pockets. I guess Google really has come a long way ;-)

I'm not sure the Nexus 6P was really that easy to bend in half without creating that diagonal crack in the screen. The main problem with the 6P was all the battery and bootloop issues.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Hahahaha. I once, in a very very far away past, had a Nexus 6. Anyone still remember how horrible cameras were on nexus phones?

Any camera from that long ago is 'horrible' compared to the flagships of today, but for it's time, while not competitive with the best concurrent models, it was still far better than average at the time.

On first receiving my 2 XL I took comparison shots with the Nexus 6, Pixel XL, and Pixel 2 XL, as below (click on the image for a link to the full resolution photos):

There have certainly been improvements (the biggest standout in my eyes from this set being the dynamic range, but the Nexus 6 was certainly serviceable in general situations. Of course, a comparison taken in dim lighting would have yielded far more diverse results.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaeros85