What are you hopeful to see in Q?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I go along with the dark theme (that's supposed to be at system level) and the baked-in recorder. I'd like to see a baked-in method to highlight a block of text to copy (or cut). It's different in different apps. (C'mon, even MS had it in early versions of Windows.) But I'm not going to go for the beta - Pie works with no bugs, and that's more important to me than a new version 6 months early - with bugs. And I'm not about to go bug-hunting - I retired from that.

BTW, remember, all the stuff you'd like to see in Q - Q's already pretty much finished, as far as adding new things. Gestures further refined? Maybe, if they see a want for it, in R.

I agree with the reason for sticking with Pixel -it's the major reason I went for it when I needed a newer phone. Open bootloader, available original ROMs and update files, and you can set your calendar by the releases. But I'll wait until August - the phone does what I want already (and the 2 with Camera 3 is pretty much a 3). Oh, I'd also like to see individual contacts' message tones again. And a proximity screen "turner-offer". I do that with a 3rd party app that uses a screen overlay, but a baked-in, non-overlay, with an on-off switch in Settings would be nice. (I bothered the software developers enough for a while, though, so I'll just take what gets released.)

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Hmmm ... First of all, I'd like them to complete all the features promised with Pie. With I/O probably in May though, I doubt it.

Alright thoughts on Q, then..

- Obviously move the gesture system forward. Get that back function figured out.

- Move App Actions out of the App Drawer and somewhere more visible. I'm voting for replacing the weather card in Feed/Discovery

- Continue to get AL/ML more integrated and increase on device processing for things like location, for example.

- Dark theme.. meh.. can take it or leave it, but thumbs up for those who want that.

- Rework the volume controls. Doesn't effect me, but I recognize others like ringer control, instead of media control, to be easier.

- Increase security and efficiency with third party apps.

Last edited:

Luke18

Nov 24, 2017
Visit site
I go along with the dark theme (that's supposed to be at system level) and the baked-in recorder. I'd like to see a baked-in method to highlight a block of text to copy (or cut). It's different in different apps. (C'mon, even MS had it in early versions of Windows.) But I'm not going to go for the beta - Pie works with no bugs, and that's more important to me than a new version 6 months early - with bugs. And I'm not about to go bug-hunting - I retired from that.

BTW, remember, all the stuff you'd like to see in Q - Q's already pretty much finished, as far as adding new things. Gestures further refined? Maybe, if they see a want for it, in R.

I agree with the reason for sticking with Pixel -it's the major reason I went for it when I needed a newer phone. Open bootloader, available original ROMs and update files, and you can set your calendar by the releases. But I'll wait until August - the phone does what I want already (and the 2 with Camera 3 is pretty much a 3). Oh, I'd also like to see individual contacts' message tones again. And a proximity screen "turner-offer". I do that with a 3rd party app that uses a screen overlay, but a baked-in, non-overlay, with an on-off switch in Settings would be nice. (I bothered the software developers enough for a while, though, so I'll just take what gets released.)
Im pretty sure you can do separate messages tones. I have one set for my wife, my best friend and then the rest of the messages app is the standard one I set.

Sorry forgot to mention I have a 2xl.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
There are a LOT of things I'd like to see in Q:

- Fix the gesture navigations. Right now, they're terrible. They're half-gesture, half-button and slower than the three button setup we had before. Apple's is the gold standard, Google should get as close as they can to that.

- Fix the plethora of bugs Pie has. I'm honestly shocked at how unpolished and buggy Pie has been. The ram management issue, poor video sound recording, photos not being saved, SMS messages not being received, a second artificial notch, Google Assistant suddenly not responding to the key phrase after a couple of days and requiring a restart, issues with reminders through Assistant not working. Some have been fixed, some have not, but it shouldn't have been released like it was. If Android Q is just a sweeping bug fix, I'd actually be pretty happy with that.

- Drastically improve Top Shot. Right now it's pretty much unusable in its current state. Make every image it takes a somewhat decent quality and it could be interesting.

- I'd like built in location-based functions, where I could set it to automatically go to silent when I get to work, and when I leave work, put the sound back on. Would also like more AI integration to make it smarter and hopefully easier to use.

- Build a face unlock similar to iOS.

- Google finally acknowledged that white images lead to faster battery drain, so introduce an OS level dark theme.

That's what is like to see in Android Q. Hoping it's a lot better than Pie.

critta71

Jan 3, 2018
Visit site
after 12 months of using androind 8.0 and now onto 9, I think i would like to see more emphasis put on basic functionality.
What do I mean by this.....
1. Total hands free for driving including reading and replying to text messages.(not all users have new cars that have android auto. Windows has had it for years)
2. The ability to just add someones birthday or other important dates associated to them under their contact information and have this linked back to the calendar. Which will then automatically provide reminders and notifications. (yep windows phone has it)
3. A bigger limit when sending an mms.
4.A glance screen where i can pic up my phone and it lights up showing time and any notifications including missed calls and received msgs. Then if i have unlock it. Yes I know there is AOD but I dont want the screen on all the time.
5. More customization of personalized settings.. (remember the old days of windows computers where you could pic and choose the colors of text.. Outlines. Boxes. etc etc. Then we could truley pic our own themes( if this is already possible someone please correct me)

But i guess I look at it like this "Do the basics well and the rest will seem like a bonus."

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
The gestures need to be more fluid like the iPhone XS line. If they fix (i.e. refine) the gestures and leave everything else the same, I'd be happy.

Edit: I lied. I want a dark theme for all settings and menus.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
There are a LOT of things I'd like to see in Q:

- Fix the gesture navigations. Right now, they're terrible. They're half-gesture, half-button and slower than the three button setup we had before. Apple's is the gold standard, Google should get as close as they can to that.

- Fix the plethora of bugs Pie has. I'm honestly shocked at how unpolished and buggy Pie has been. The ram management issue, poor video sound recording, photos not being saved, SMS messages not being received, a second artificial notch, Google Assistant suddenly not responding to the key phrase after a couple of days and requiring a restart, issues with reminders through Assistant not working. Some have been fixed, some have not, but it shouldn't have been released like it was. If Android Q is just a sweeping bug fix, I'd actually be pretty happy with that.

- Drastically improve Top Shot. Right now it's pretty much unusable in its current state. Make every image it takes a somewhat decent quality and it could be interesting.

- I'd like built in location-based functions, where I could set it to automatically go to silent when I get to work, and when I leave work, put the sound back on. Would also like more AI integration to make it smarter and hopefully easier to use.

- Build a face unlock similar to iOS.

- Google finally acknowledged that white images lead to faster battery drain, so introduce an OS level dark theme.

That's what is like to see in Android Q. Hoping it's a lot better than Pie.

Minor point.....Top Shot is not an OS feature

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
The gestures need to be more fluid like the iPhone XS line. If they fix (i.e. refine) the gestures and leave everything else the same, I'd be happy.

Edit: I lied. I want a dark theme for all settings and menus.
These seem to be the two most common wants for sure.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
2. The ability to just add someones birthday or other important dates associated to them under their contact information and have this linked back to the calendar. Which will then automatically provide reminders and notifications. (yep windows phone has it)

It boggles my mind Google has not made these links yet. Helping information flow like this (organizing the world's information) used to be a strength. I'd like to see more attention paid to this and other examples of organizing my info.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
after 12 months of using androind 8.0 and now onto 9, I think i would like to see more emphasis put on basic functionality.
What do I mean by this.....
1. Total hands free for driving including reading and replying to text messages.(not all users have new cars that have android auto. Windows has had it for years)
3. A bigger limit when sending an mms.
4.A glance screen where i can pic up my phone and it lights up showing time and any notifications including missed calls and received msgs. Then if i have unlock it. Yes I know there is AOD but I dont want the screen on all the time.
5. More customization of personalized settings.. (remember the old days of windows computers where you could pic and choose the colors of text.. Outlines. Boxes. etc etc. Then we could truley pic our own themes( if this is already possible someone please correct me)

But i guess I look at it like this "Do the basics well and the rest will seem like a bonus."

Great ideas but not necessarily OS related improvements.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
How about you Mike , what would you like to see different?

I don't have much that I want. I don't have any issues with gestures but I'm all for improvements. Full Dark Mode implentation would be great. Better volume control accessibility and separate volume for ringer and notifications.