Seriously considering Samsung 10 x+ when it comes out

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Not disputing anything you're saying at all but it's kind of funny that when LG was one of the first ones with a twin rear camera a lot of users of other brands knocked LG. Now we are seeing more than two cameras. Despite how good Pixel has done with digital zooming I would like to see two cameras. I actually would prefer they improve the digital zoom and add a wide lens. I find wide more useful than a telephoto on a phone. It's the thing I miss most about my V20.

Well I knocked LG for being LG. When I had LG phones I didn't mind them and I loved the camera but their processing on the camera + the stability of their devices was definitely not in their favor.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Well I knocked LG for being LG. When I had LG phones I didn't mind them and I loved the camera but their processing on the camera + the stability of their devices was definitely not in their favor.

Without a doubt...LG is there own worst enemy in many ways. Their processing leaves a lot to be desired. Most of the decent auto shots were only in ideal situations. Manual had its limitations too.
LG comes up with a lot of good ideas, Unfortunately their implementation doesn't always make the grade.

Dec 16, 2018
Visit site
Eh...I don't think so. One Plus is still the best bargain for what you get per price imo.
Not if you value monthly security updates and three years of OS support. Personally I'm not a big fan of cheap Chinese spec slabs stuffed with RAM, chunky UI, and bloatware - they're a dime a dozen these days.

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
Not if you value monthly security updates and three years of OS support. Personally I'm not a big fan of cheap Chinese spec slabs stuffed with RAM, chunky UI, and bloatware - they're a dime a dozen these days.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about - Oxygen OS is not chunky nor do they have bloatware. One Plus has a great track record of updating their OS as well.

HOWEVER, I did notice Google dropped the price of the Pixel's yet again. $599 for baby pixel 3 is a really good deal right now. And I guess if you love notch, $699 for the XL...

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Pixel 3 and 3 XL are discounted by $200 dollars now. Assuming this is in light of the S10 announcement.

I reiterate my hopes that competition from Samsung will force Google to step it up with the Pixel 4 models. The Pixel 3 models corrected many of the things the Pixel 2 models got wrong. Great. Now Google needs to elevate the Pixel brand.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Pixel 3 and 3 XL are discounted by $200 dollars now. Assuming this is in light of the S10 announcement.

I reiterate my hopes that competition from Samsung will force Google to step it up with the Pixel 4 models. The Pixel 3 models corrected many of the things the Pixel 2 models got wrong. Great. Now Google needs to elevate the Pixel brand.

I think Google pixel 4 is going be great phone this year... I'm ready for it

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I think Google pixel 4 is going be great phone this year... I'm ready for it

I'm ready, too.

Besides hardware improvements, I sincerely hope Google fixes the gestures, too. There's no two ways about it: Android gestures are broken -- a half-baked, gobbled-together mess. We've all gotten used to them because we have no choice, but Google can do better here. It's worrisome that the Android Q previews show Google may still not get rid of the nav bar space for more usable screen. Just makes no sense...

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I'm ready, too.

Besides hardware improvements, I sincerely hope Google fixes the gestures, too. There's no two ways about it: Android gestures are broken -- a half-baked, gobbled-together mess. We've all gotten used to them because we have no choice, but Google can do better here. It's worrisome that the Android Q previews show Google may still not get rid of the nav bar space for more usable screen. Just makes no sense...

I actually feel like their progression with the system is moving ok. People will always have different opinions about what they should do because ... people. I mean, you still have advocates for the 3 button system hanging around til the end of time.

I feel like Google's in a tougher spot since they develop the base OS for their OEM partners to skin. That's just so many different devices. Hard to find a space so all can function well.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm ready, too.

From rumors Android Q is supposed to bring full gestures for pixels , the space bar is their pixel launcher trademark

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I actually feel like their progression with the system is moving ok. People will always have different opinions about what they should do because ... people. I mean, you still have advocates for the 3 button system hanging around til the end of time.

I feel like Google's in a tougher spot since they develop the base OS for their OEM partners to skin. That's just so many different devices. Hard to find a space so all can function well.

For sure, you can't please everyone, but even objectively speaking, the current gestures don't make much sense. They're not even truly all gestures yet, as there's still a mix of button presses and long presses.

The quick-slide function is perhaps the best example of how broken the gestures are. You have to slide-right, then sort of slide back left a bit, and then you can start sliding right again to quickly flip through your opened apps. It's awkward to initiate and worse, unreliable to actually use. It scrolls way too fast. I would argue the app drawer is also broken and convoluted.

We're all used to it because we have no choice, but being used to it is very different than actually having good sensible gestures. I dislike iOS, but Apple got gestures right. They still don't have a consistent 'back' experience but they have virtually everything else correct. OnePlus and Motorola and a few others have figured out gestures far better than Google, too.

I think Google can do better.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
From rumors Android Q is supposed to bring full gestures for pixels , the space bar is their pixel launcher trademark

Unless I am misunderstanding what we've seen in Android Q's gestures, is it full gestures if you still need to tap to go home or long press to activate Assistant? Granted, I don't think Google has any choice since they want so many things outta the pill, but then I wouldn't call it full gestures.

I'm also not sure I follow that the nav-bar space is the Pixel launcher trademark. You mean the little pill? I sincerely believe Google can still keep the pill there while giving us more screen space. An entire bar at the bottom of the phone for just a pill feels like wasted space to me.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
For sure, you can't please everyone, but even objectively speaking, the current gestures don't make much sense. They're not even truly all gestures yet, as there's still a mix of button presses and long presses.

The quick-slide function is perhaps the best example of how broken the gestures are. You have to slide-right, then sort of slide back left a bit, and then you can start sliding right again to quickly flip through your opened apps. It's awkward to initiate and worse, unreliable to actually use. It scrolls way too fast. I would argue the app drawer is also broken and convoluted.

We're all used to it because we have no choice, but being used to it is very different than actually having good sensible gestures. I dislike iOS, but Apple got gestures right. They still don't have a consistent 'back' experience but they have virtually everything else correct. OnePlus and Motorola and a few others have figured out gestures far better than Google, too.

I think Google can do better.

I definitely agree that they can do better and I feel like the current system is just transitional. I implement the switcher differently, I don't use the pill just swipe with my thumb, so how you describe the pill seems like a frustration point for sure.

I feel like Google is wanting to reduce user need to even go to the app drawer very often. I think this will be a tough user habit for them to change. People who have been on Android for a long time love to go the app drawer a lot, though I believe it to be more of a fidget habit than necessity, so trying to ween them off of doing that as much as they do, will be hard.

Regardless I, like you, am looking forward to the Pixel 4. I think it's going to be a great device! We'll see what happens with Q this spring. The public Beta should open in May, though developers will get their first look next month.Will be interesting to see what they've got cooking.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I definitely agree that they can do better and I feel like the current system is just transitional. I implement the switcher differently, I don't use the pill just swipe with my thumb, so how you describe the pill seems like a frustration point for sure.

I feel like Google is wanting to reduce user need to even go to the app drawer very often. I think this will be a tough user habit for them to change. People who have been on Android for a long time love to go the app drawer a lot, though I believe it to be more of a fidget habit than necessity, so trying to ween them off of doing that as much as they do, will be hard.

Regardless I, like you, am looking forward to the Pixel 4. I think it's going to be a great device! We'll see what happens with Q this spring. The public Beta should open in May, though developers will get their first look next month.Will be interesting to see what they've got cooking.

Agree with a lot here. I don't use the quick-slide gesture either. Just pointing to it as an example of how poorly thought-out gestures are. My favorite thing about Android's gestures is actually the "alt-tab" move, where you quickly slide right to hop between two apps.

The potential is there for Google to really elevate the Pixel line, to a lesser extent with software (namely to improve gestures) but especially with hardware. There's no reason to skimp on hardware just to showoff software superiority. I believe Google can do both. Hoping for a better screen and design, more RAM, useful additional cameras (this is something they understand for the front facing cameras), and bigger batteries would be nice, too.

Hopefully the S10 forces them to compete! I can't wait.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Unless I am misunderstanding what we've seen in Android Q's gestures, is it full gestures if you still need to tap to go home or long press to activate Assistant? Granted, I don't think Google has any choice since they want so many things outta the pill, but then I wouldn't call it full gestures.

I'm also not sure I follow that the nav-bar space is the Pixel launcher trademark. You mean the little pill? I sincerely believe Google can still keep the pill there while giving us more screen space. An entire bar at the bottom of the phone for just a pill feels like wasted space to me.

I have to find the article awhile back, but full gesture meaning swipe like iphones .

No not pill, the search bar it's a pixel launcher trademark that you can't change.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781