Speaking of the notch...

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I guess manufacturers just won't be happy until it's physicality impossible to hold a phone without making unwanted touches on the screen.

Bring back bezels, I say!

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I guess manufacturers just won't be happy until it's physicality impossible to hold a phone without making unwanted touches on the screen.

Bring back bezels, I say!

It's a form vs functionality battlefront...

Give it a few years and we'll see the end result - the Galaxy S15:
GS15.jpg

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
There is no question that I will prefer a phone with a notch to a phone with large bezels. I remember when I had my Pixel 2 and decided I would go check out the iPhone X and my god, I felt like my Pixel was a phone from 2014. The notch isn't perfect but I will take it any day over thick bezels. I really think Google is being stubborn with their "front firing" speakers obsession. How tiny little tweeters built into a phone that face you is more important than having more screen with less bezel is just mind boggling to me.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It's a form vs functionality battlefront...

Give it a few years and we'll see the end result - the Galaxy S15:
View attachment 296981

I've already had a similar thought. Lol

I really think Google is being stubborn with their "front firing" speakers obsession. How tiny little tweeters built into a phone that face you is more important than having more screen with less bezel is just mind boggling to me.

I'd love decent front firing stereo speakers and the ability to hold the phone without needing a case. I'd ask the reverse of you, what's with the obsession of moving towards zero bezels? It seems like the megapixel war with cameras. More isn't always better and there's a point of diminishing returns.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
There is no question that I will prefer a phone with a notch to a phone with large bezels. I remember when I had my Pixel 2 and decided I would go check out the iPhone X and my god, I felt like my Pixel was a phone from 2014. The notch isn't perfect but I will take it any day over thick bezels. I really think Google is being stubborn with their "front firing" speakers obsession. How tiny little tweeters built into a phone that face you is more important than having more screen with less bezel is just mind boggling to me.

What Google did with pix 3 front stereo speakers was great , one of the loudest this year if not the loudest maybe razor phone dont know.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
The Pixel notch is the ugliest feature on a cellphone in the history of cellphones. The inclusion of that ugly, HUGE notch, i addition to the landing pad sized nottom bezel, created the ugliest, most ghastly phone of the decade.

Good. Riddance.

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
What Google did with pix 3 front stereo speakers was great , one of the loudest this year if not the loudest maybe razor phone dont know.

I guess it just comes down to difference of priorities between people since I don't see the point of having loud front facing speakers on my phone at all. If I listen to music, i want it to be good, so obviously I go with headphones or a wireless Bluetooth speaker. If i am playing a game, I only play mobile games when I am stuck waiting in lines in public places, and again no point in having loud speakers that will just annoy other people so I use earbuds or keep the sound down low. If I am at home, I am definitely not gaming on my phone since I have a console. I will take more screen real estate with minimal bezel any day, it serves more purposes.

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
I've already had a similar thought. Lol

I'd love decent front firing stereo speakers and the ability to hold the phone without needing a case. I'd ask the reverse of you, what's with the obsession of moving towards zero bezels? It seems like the megapixel war with cameras. More isn't always better and there's a point of diminishing returns.

I am talking about minimal amount of bezel since obviously you have to have some bezel to prevent accidental screen touches from the edges.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I don't generally listen to music or watch videos without headphones but a lot of people seem obsessed with front firing stereo sound from a phone. I don't feel there's very much stereo separation that it's makes a major difference. I would think top and bottom speakers would be just as good and possibly provide better separation by projecting sound outward.
The Pixel 3XL does have pretty good sound though.

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
I don't generally listen to music or watch videos without headphones but a lot of people seem obsessed with front firing stereo sound from a phone. I don't feel there's very much stereo separation that it's makes a major difference. I would think top and bottom speakers would be just as good and possibly provide better separation by projecting sound outward.
The Pixel 3XL does have pretty good sound though.

Exactly.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I am talking about minimal amount of bezel since obviously you have to have some bezel to prevent accidental screen touches from the edges.
Tell that to Samsung with their curved displays. You get unwanted touches AND distorted images/videos! Lol

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I guess it just comes down to difference of priorities between people since I don't see the point of having loud front facing speakers on my phone at all. If I listen to music, i want it to be good, so obviously I go with headphones or a wireless Bluetooth speaker. If i am playing a game, I only play mobile games when I am stuck waiting in lines in public places, and again no point in having loud speakers that will just annoy other people so I use earbuds or keep the sound down low. If I am at home, I am definitely not gaming on my phone since I have a console. I will take more screen real estate with minimal bezel any day, it serves more purposes.

Yeah I understand your view , I'm Mostly on bluetooth also but would like them to figure a way to use 2 speakers for loud speaker while on calls.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I haven't haven't noticed any distorted pictures or videos. maybe on the s7 edge but the curve is less pronounced on the note 9 and s9+ and no issues with unwanted touches either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith