01-24-2019 05:12 AM
40 12
tools
    Many reports this morning similar to this one:

Google Pixel 4 May Be Completely Notchless, Patents Show

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/google-...ews-29168.html

I admit it, I don't like the notch.

But, I think I would be perfectly fine with a cutout instead. In other words, just a rectangular, rounded edge, cutout just large enough to surround the earpiece/camera/proximity sensor with minimal border.
    01-18-2019 08:59 AM
    I guess manufacturers just won't be happy until it's physicality impossible to hold a phone without making unwanted touches on the screen.

Bring back bezels, I say!
    01-18-2019 09:57 AM
    I guess manufacturers just won't be happy until it's physicality impossible to hold a phone without making unwanted touches on the screen.

Bring back bezels, I say!
    It's a form vs functionality battlefront...

Give it a few years and we'll see the end result - the Galaxy S15:
    Speaking of the notch...-gs15.jpg
    01-18-2019 10:03 AM
    I am fine either way. If it doesn't have one -- cool -- if it does have one -- cool.
    ptkelly and Coop61 like this.
    01-18-2019 10:38 AM
    I dont mind it either way but this time around tone the notch down a little Google.
    01-18-2019 11:27 AM
    There is no question that I will prefer a phone with a notch to a phone with large bezels. I remember when I had my Pixel 2 and decided I would go check out the iPhone X and my god, I felt like my Pixel was a phone from 2014. The notch isn't perfect but I will take it any day over thick bezels. I really think Google is being stubborn with their "front firing" speakers obsession. How tiny little tweeters built into a phone that face you is more important than having more screen with less bezel is just mind boggling to me.
    Eggmundo likes this.
    01-18-2019 11:38 AM
    I dont mind it either way but this time around tone the notch down a little Google.
    I agree like what one plus did.
    01-18-2019 11:44 AM
    I agree like what one plus did.
    Yeah them and few others did it ok also .
    technomom likes this.
    01-18-2019 11:51 AM
    It's a form vs functionality battlefront...

Give it a few years and we'll see the end result - the Galaxy S15:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GS15.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	296981
    I've already had a similar thought. Lol

I really think Google is being stubborn with their "front firing" speakers obsession. How tiny little tweeters built into a phone that face you is more important than having more screen with less bezel is just mind boggling to me.
    I'd love decent front firing stereo speakers and the ability to hold the phone without needing a case. I'd ask the reverse of you, what's with the obsession of moving towards zero bezels? It seems like the megapixel war with cameras. More isn't always better and there's a point of diminishing returns.
    Ben_70 and J Dubbs like this.
    01-18-2019 11:58 AM
    There is no question that I will prefer a phone with a notch to a phone with large bezels. I remember when I had my Pixel 2 and decided I would go check out the iPhone X and my god, I felt like my Pixel was a phone from 2014. The notch isn't perfect but I will take it any day over thick bezels. I really think Google is being stubborn with their "front firing" speakers obsession. How tiny little tweeters built into a phone that face you is more important than having more screen with less bezel is just mind boggling to me.
    What Google did with pix 3 front stereo speakers was great , one of the loudest this year if not the loudest maybe razor phone dont know.
    01-18-2019 12:07 PM
    The Pixel notch is the ugliest feature on a cellphone in the history of cellphones. The inclusion of that ugly, HUGE notch, i addition to the landing pad sized nottom bezel, created the ugliest, most ghastly phone of the decade.

Good. Riddance.
    Eggmundo likes this.
    01-18-2019 12:09 PM
    What Google did with pix 3 front stereo speakers was great , one of the loudest this year if not the loudest maybe razor phone dont know.
    I guess it just comes down to difference of priorities between people since I don't see the point of having loud front facing speakers on my phone at all. If I listen to music, i want it to be good, so obviously I go with headphones or a wireless Bluetooth speaker. If i am playing a game, I only play mobile games when I am stuck waiting in lines in public places, and again no point in having loud speakers that will just annoy other people so I use earbuds or keep the sound down low. If I am at home, I am definitely not gaming on my phone since I have a console. I will take more screen real estate with minimal bezel any day, it serves more purposes.
    01-18-2019 12:19 PM
    I've already had a similar thought. Lol

I'd love decent front firing stereo speakers and the ability to hold the phone without needing a case. I'd ask the reverse of you, what's with the obsession of moving towards zero bezels? It seems like the megapixel war with cameras. More isn't always better and there's a point of diminishing returns.
    I am talking about minimal amount of bezel since obviously you have to have some bezel to prevent accidental screen touches from the edges.
    01-18-2019 12:21 PM
    I don't generally listen to music or watch videos without headphones but a lot of people seem obsessed with front firing stereo sound from a phone. I don't feel there's very much stereo separation that it's makes a major difference. I would think top and bottom speakers would be just as good and possibly provide better separation by projecting sound outward.
    The Pixel 3XL does have pretty good sound though.
    Vega007 likes this.
    01-18-2019 12:21 PM
    I don't generally listen to music or watch videos without headphones but a lot of people seem obsessed with front firing stereo sound from a phone. I don't feel there's very much stereo separation that it's makes a major difference. I would think top and bottom speakers would be just as good and possibly provide better separation by projecting sound outward.
    The Pixel 3XL does have pretty good sound though.
    Exactly.
    01-18-2019 12:22 PM
    I am talking about minimal amount of bezel since obviously you have to have some bezel to prevent accidental screen touches from the edges.
    Tell that to Samsung with their curved displays. You get unwanted touches AND distorted images/videos! Lol
    01-18-2019 12:23 PM
    I guess it just comes down to difference of priorities between people since I don't see the point of having loud front facing speakers on my phone at all. If I listen to music, i want it to be good, so obviously I go with headphones or a wireless Bluetooth speaker. If i am playing a game, I only play mobile games when I am stuck waiting in lines in public places, and again no point in having loud speakers that will just annoy other people so I use earbuds or keep the sound down low. If I am at home, I am definitely not gaming on my phone since I have a console. I will take more screen real estate with minimal bezel any day, it serves more purposes.
    Yeah I understand your view , I'm Mostly on bluetooth also but would like them to figure a way to use 2 speakers for loud speaker while on calls.
    01-18-2019 12:25 PM
    Tell that to Samsung with their curved displays. You get unwanted touches AND distorted images/videos! Lol
    And I will not use those phones because of it. I jumped ship from Samsung after the S7. Curved edges are stupid and pointless.
    01-18-2019 12:25 PM
    Distortion is one of the reasons I won't buy it.
    01-18-2019 02:19 PM
    I haven't haven't noticed any distorted pictures or videos. maybe on the s7 edge but the curve is less pronounced on the note 9 and s9+ and no issues with unwanted touches either.
    01-18-2019 02:27 PM
    I haven't haven't noticed any distorted pictures or videos. maybe on the s7 edge but the curve is less pronounced on the note 9 and s9+ and no issues with unwanted touches either.
    Yeah I didn't have any real issues with it. My hangup w/ Samsung is updates. If a bad bug is found or security flaw.. who knows when it would be patched... but also I don't like all the Samsung bloat since I don't use it.
    mustang7757 and J Dubbs like this.
    01-18-2019 03:00 PM
    Yeah I didn't have any real issues with it. My hangup w/ Samsung is updates. If a bad bug is found or security flaw.. who knows when it would be patched... but also I don't like all the Samsung bloat since I don't use it.
    I agree on the software updates, on the security updates I have to say they been pretty good lately, as for bugs you might not see them until next 1 or 2 security updates which is around same other manufacturers or close to it. Bloat lol is a problem if you dont use their version of apps but in my case I do or uninstall them or disable the ones I dont. I can see it being a headache for some wanting a simpler UI with not duplicate apps or 2 play stores but they have come long ways in trying clean up that stuff and the new UI is a big welcome . If some people remember Samsung from s5 - s7 days or earlier you definitely have to revisit them again because they changed alot .
    01-18-2019 03:10 PM
    Samsung security updates only lag behind Google like three weeks on the major carriers like Verizon. It's been this way since the S7-era. Most of the complaints you hear about are from people owning US unlocked phones since the company only promises quarterly updates for them due to extra certifications for other carriers.
    01-18-2019 04:36 PM
    Distortion is one of the reasons I won't buy it.
    I actually did buy a S9 and used it for 2 weeks before I sent it back for a refund. I don't mind sammy software at all but the distortion and some accidental presses made me hate it. I did like the fact that it had no notch and fairly small bezels.
    01-18-2019 05:22 PM
    Samsung security updates only lag behind Google like three weeks on the major carriers like Verizon. It's been this way since the S7-era. Most of the complaints you hear about are from people owning US unlocked phones since the company only promises quarterly updates for them due to extra certifications for other carriers.
    Ah so that may not be as much of an issue but the stuff I don't use would be the next bit.
    01-18-2019 06:18 PM
40 12