Am I the only person left who turns their phone off at night?

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
On ALL the time. DND at night with only calls allowed. How else can some one reach you in case of emergency?

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
On ALL the time. DND at night with only calls allowed. How else can some one reach you in case of emergency?

I suppose if I had any skills that would be useful to someone with an emergency at 3 a.m. I'd consider leaving my phone on. I don't have such skills. My family knows that when I go to bed I will be out of touch till I get up. My family is bright enough to call an ambulance, the fire department, or the police if they have a 3 a.m. emergency. Those phone calls might help them. A phone call to the old guy wouldn't really help at all.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I suppose if I had any skills that would be useful to someone with an emergency at 3 a.m. I'd consider leaving my phone on. I don't have such skills. My family knows that when I go to bed I will be out of touch till I get up. My family is bright enough to call an ambulance, the fire department, or the police if they have a 3 a.m. emergency. Those phone calls might help them. A phone call to the old guy wouldn't really help at all.
I guess that works if you don't care about knowing something bad happened to a loved one until after you have your breakfast.

Not me, I would want to know right away and be where they are at. Just saying...

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I guess that works if you don't care about knowing something bad happened to a loved one until after you have your breakfast.

Not me, I would want to know right away and be where they are at. Just saying...
This.

You never know when somebody could need something as simple as a ride or a conversation because they are considering something they should not. At this point, my phone has never rung through at an odd hour, but....

PHILIP A LETTIERI

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
Reading threads on overnight issues like battery drain, etc, I find myself wondering if I'm the only person left who just turns off their phone at night. Phone gets a reboot daily, battery gets used about 1/3 less than if always on.... Am I the only one?

No; I charge it full, turn it off and leave it in the living room.

Sotfig

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
I've never shut any of mine off in the15 years I've had a phone. I do however have it on DND and only allow my favorites to contact me at night.

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
I am 35 and leave it on because it's my only phone. I use my Amazon Echo for an alarm clock. My parents are older and my sister has some health issues so there is no way it's ever going off in case something was to happen. It's not about me being able to do anything for them (because I know nothing about being a field doctor lol), it's just being there for them. That is all that is important.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
You have options. I have it set where my starred contacts can get through (wife, parents, etc.) and repeated calls (calls twice in less than 15 minutes). That's good enough for me.
Exactly and you can fine tune DND a bit more if needed. The repeated calls option was very useful once when my son lost his phone and had to use a friend's. Very often teenagers are still partying when parents went already on DND mode :D

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't think it's much about age but from what I'm seeing here and the comments in blog citing this thread most people keep it on.

It's 2019 — do you still turn your phone off at night? https://www.androidcentral.com/its-2019-do-you-still-turn-your-phone-night
Agreed. It's not much about age and fortunately there are some very easy options to filter what can bypass your DND mode. The only "price" is a tiny battery percentage if the phone is unplugged.

There are many reasons for every age to keep the phone always on. Young people don't switch it off as a basic principle, ever. Kind of a religious thing, almost :) And most people have parents, children, loved ones, jobs, business or whatever that could need an emergency call at some point. Set your favourites and a couple more rules and DND will work as a charm.