Pixel 3 vs S9 (S10) and iPhone Xs

VX-VT

Jan 20, 2019
Visit site
I feel like it's time for a refresh from my iPhone 6, which I held on to for nearly 4 years now.

I figured it's time to go with Android this time around and narrowed it down to S9 and the Pixel 3. I am still thinking of the iPhone Xs. It's a solid device but I feel like iOS is on the boring side after all these years. On top of that, it lacks features that have been around for a while now on other platforms. Hard to believe that the Nokia that I had years before the iPhone had a standby screen, and yet the iPhone Xs still doesn't have one today.

Between the S9 (soon the S10) and the Pixel 3, I was leaning towards the S9, up until reading about how Samsung is not exactly a "pleasant" experience. Samsung customer service is non-existent and OS upgrades are behind by centuries.

The Pixel 3 is my primary choice, but I still have concerns that might make me consider going through with the iOS device. The primary is performance. I cannot stand a "laggy" device.

If you happen to have owned (or still own) an iPhone Xs and also have the Pixel 3, could you comment on what your experience is like, and what you would honestly recommend to someone who upgrades phones once in a blue moon? Is the Pixel 3 subject to the same slowdown overtime just like other Androids? Are there issues with UX and stability? Battery issues? Anything else to consider?

cgonzalez82

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
How much of Apple's software so you use on a regular basis? The Apple eco system is often what makes many stay however I have recently moved away from my iPhone X to a Pixel 3 and couldn't be happier.

Everything that I could do on the iPhone I can do on the Pixel and then some, and until recently I was often jokingly named the Apple fanboy amongst friends.

I would try to have a good play with both devices, if you can afford to do so buy both direct from the manufacturer as both Google and Apple will allow you to return the device no questions ask, although sometimes Google will charge a restocking fee but it's minimal and this will then give you 14 days to decide which you prefer.

jabaa

Oct 25, 2018
Visit site
I too had an iPhone 6 forever and got a Pixel 3 a couple months ago. So I can't comment on the iPhone Xs.... but overall I'm very happy with the P3. You're in for a treat though almost whatever direction you go in IMO as lots of improvements have happened to phones in the last four years.

But re: the P3, people say it has just "average" battery life for a 2018 phone, but to me it's great (again in comparison to the iPhone 6). I'm not sure my battery has been below 50% yet-- I just top it off once a day. It charges super fast. And then there's the performance. It's smooth as silk. No lagging, apps pop open super fast. Finally there's the camera, which needs no further comment, but is perhaps the best part of the P3 for me (and almost everyone else).

I'm sure though that the newest iPhones are just as good really. The buzz of trying a non-iPhone has been fun but that wears off eventually. So I'd say I agree with the above comment re: ecosystem. If you're already immersed in Gmail, Google docs, Google Photo (as I was even though I always had iPhones), it's kind of a no brainer to me to say get the P3. If you're invested in Apple's ecosystem, it probably makes sense to stick with a new iPhone.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I feel like it's time for a refresh from my iPhone 6, which I held on to for nearly 4 years now.

I figured it's time to go with Android this time around and narrowed it down to S9 and the Pixel 3. I am still thinking of the iPhone Xs. It's a solid device but I feel like iOS is on the boring side after all these years. On top of that, it lacks features that have been around for a while now on other platforms. Hard to believe that the Nokia that I had years before the iPhone had a standby screen, and yet the iPhone Xs still doesn't have one today.

Between the S9 (soon the S10) and the Pixel 3, I was leaning towards the S9, up until reading about how Samsung is not exactly a "pleasant" experience. Samsung customer service is non-existent and OS upgrades are behind by centuries.

The Pixel 3 is my primary choice, but I still have concerns that might make me consider going through with the iOS device. The primary is performance. I cannot stand a "laggy" device.

If you happen to have owned (or still own) an iPhone Xs and also have the Pixel 3, could you comment on what your experience is like, and what you would honestly recommend to someone who upgrades phones once in a blue moon? Is the Pixel 3 subject to the same slowdown overtime just like other Androids? Are there issues with UX and stability? Battery issues? Anything else to consider?

My wife went from the 6S to the X and always complains that it's the same phone. I don't totally agree with her but I do agree that it's that going from iPhone to iPhone does feel similar.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
My wife went from the 6S to the X and always complains that it's the same phone. I don't totally agree with her but I do agree that it's that going from iPhone to iPhone does feel similar.

Women lol
My wife's the same , iPhone x is a difference coming from previous generations especially the gestures no home button only face Id or pin unlock. But software side most phones are supposed to feel same from one to next they cant completely disconnect you from their phones.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
How will it address my concerns with Samsung that I pointed out in the OP?

I have both the note 9 and s9+ security updates have been very good but software updates will come late. Both phones are in pie beta . Since pretty much the s8 /s8+ which I also have there hasn't been any lags or issues you hear about from previous Samsung devices. You cant go wrong with pixel or s9 both solid phones but s9 has more features if you like that type of thing.

Gdraft#WN

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently riding a 3XL, but used an original XL since day one that they were available.

If lag is a concern, then there is only one android phone to consider. Google.

My kid needed a new phone, so I decided if anyone was getting a new one it was me. 😊.

My original XL runs as buttery smooth as the day I got it. I only turned it off a few times a year. The thing just runs.... And still runs like day one.

My kids are the envy of their friends, as they have phones that work... Always, without lag or delays.

If the Apple ecosystem is not important to you, but lag and updates are. Then you don't really have a choice as only 1 vendor checks all those box's

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
If you have lag, then you want to go with pixel 3.

Let me through something else in the mix. OnePlus 6T. I have it along pixel 3 xl. It's even smother and faster than pixel 3. Not kidding.

Much cheaper as well if you are looking for CRAZY good phone and don't want to break the bank. It's a monster of a phone.

BillyBreathes

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Quick question regarding this, I have read that the Pixel 3 camera and the Oneplus camera aren't even in the same ballpark. What's your thoughts? It would make sense considering the price difference, just curious.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Quick question regarding this, I have read that the Pixel 3 camera and the Oneplus camera aren't even in the same ballpark. What's your thoughts? It would make sense considering the price difference, just curious.

Camera on the pixel is better, the 1+6 takes good pictures but not all the time but when it does you wont be disappointed.

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
Absoutely consider the One Plus if you want a lag free, smooth experiance phone. I honestly think One Plus does Android better than even the Pixel can. I switched from Galaxy to Pixel, then Pixel to iPhone X. I used a One Plus in between but sent it back only because i thought it was too tall of a phone, everything else was just great. I can tell you that for me, Galaxy phones have tons of features but you pay for all of those extras by having to deal with some lag and hiccups.

The Pixel is buttery smooth, as is the iPhone. You can't go wrong with either choice when it comes to software. I would personally let the little things decide, like how important is the W1 chip to you? How much do you enjoy AI in your phone? Do you want an always on display, or rather have a phone with incredible standby time? It's the little things that sway the decision in regards to Pixel vs iPhone imo. Or I guess one could say the big thing which is that price tag lol.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Recommendation threads are always difficult. Hard to help when there's just not a ton of user profile available. Is lag the only consideration or are other things involved on the list as well like what @Vega007 mentioned above? 1+ not a bad choice, but is OP on Verizon? If so, then getting that to work may be more than what he's wanting to go through.

Has OP had an Android device before? If so, S9 could be the better choice. If not, maybe Pixel is the better choice as it's simpler to navigate.

Just a lot of different factors that we just don't know.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Recommendation threads are always difficult. Hard to help when there's just not a ton of user profile available. Is lag the only consideration or are other things involved on the list as well like what @Vega007 mentioned above? 1+ not a bad choice, but is OP on Verizon? If so, then getting that to work may be more than what he's wanting to go through.

Has OP had an Android device before? If so, S9 could be the better choice. If not, maybe Pixel is the better choice as it's simpler to navigate.

Just a lot of different factors that we just don't know.

I always recommend if you can go to the stores and try them out see what you like and do research on forums and YouTube .

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I always recommend if you can go to the stores and try them out see what you like and do research on forums and YouTube .

Indeed. Selecting technology can be a bit of a challenge sometimes, IMO. I don't want to derail OP's thread, because they are looking for feedback in a sincere way. But even the three devices they are considering are different in so many ways once you go beyond the obvious comparisons (battery life, camera etc).

alodar101

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
There are lots of opinions here. Call quality goes from great to it sucks. Camera is great or over rated. Memory management sucks..or just works if you leave it alone. Colors are natural, or faded. Sound is awesome or metalic. The phone broke from a 10' drop but not a 6' drop. The real question is, what matters to you? Go try these things for yourself. Then take what you saw and read the forums, read other peoples take on what you saw with your eyes. I had the iPhone, 6,7, 8, x and Xs. The samsung 8 note, and the pixel 2xl. Apparently, the notch sucks. so I'm told. I could not make up my mind until I stopped reading these forums and watching YouTube things about what was wrong with the particular phone I was using. I went out and tried and/or bought what ever phone I was considering...and found out my self The questions I took back to the forums. I realized I liked my colors natural, not enhanced. I don't need 9,000 apps open at once. I'm hard of hearing...but the phone I chose I can hear fine with...whether on the speak or holding it to my ear . Call quality is good. So the phone I chose, I chose for my likes and dislikes, for my list of important things. You should do your research, then walk away and do yourself an eye test. Whatever phone you chose will be...well...your choice...made by you, for you.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site

P3 is still better than the S9 at most things. Not sure that lag on Pixels is a thing, why do you think it would be?
It'll be fine as a 2-3 year device, but if you're planning on using it for 4-5 years, I would say go with the new iPhone.
Battery life is good, but not "amazing". But no flagships have "amazing" battery life.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
P3 is still better than the S9 at most things. Not sure that lag on Pixels is a thing, why do you think it would be?
It'll be fine as a 2-3 year device, but if you're planning on using it for 4-5 years, I would say go with the new iPhone.
Battery life is good, but not "amazing". But no flagships have "amazing" battery life.

I'll give 4 flagships that have amazing battery life
Note 9
Huawei mate pro 20
Pixel 3 xl
1+6

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khalio1234