02-18-2019 09:43 PM
33 12
tools
    So I've had this long running issue where the keyword 'Hey Google' stops working and the phone doesn't respond when I say the keyword. I have to restart the phone and when I do, it starts working again, but after a couple of days, guaranteed it'll stop reacting to my hey Google voice command.

Anyone have this issue or aware of a setting/fix for it? It's really irritating.

EDIT: I try to go to the Tips & Support section to contact Google about it and I get greeted with this:

Why is this phone so, so, so incredibly buggy...
    Vega007 likes this.
    01-23-2019 05:51 AM
    So I've had this long running issue where the keyword 'Hey Google' stops working and the phone doesn't respond when I say the keyword. I have to restart the phone and when I do, it starts working again, but after a couple of days, guaranteed it'll stop reacting to my hey Google voice command.

Anyone have this issue or aware of a setting/fix for it? It's really irritating.

EDIT: I try to go to the Tips & Support section to contact Google about it and I get greeted with this:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...a3df8da61e.jpg

Why is this phone so, so, so incredibly buggy...
    Mine hasn't run into that issue , maybe try factory reset if your having few problems or buggy.
    01-23-2019 09:25 PM
    I almost always use "squeeze" for the Assistant. But whenever I use "OK Google" it always works too. So I'm not experiencing your issues.

Also, when I go to the Tips & Support section to contact Google I always get this:

Ok/Hey Google, keyword stops working after a couple of days-screenshot_20190123-112105.jpg

I'm not aware of any current bugs with how I use my 3 XL.
    01-24-2019 02:25 AM
    Mine hasn't run into that issue , maybe try factory reset if your having few problems or buggy.
    Well I've factory reset the phone. Ok Google keyword works, but it would work after resets. And on the plus side, the Tips & Support page now works properly. Fingers crossed the factory reset resolved my issues...
    mustang7757 likes this.
    01-24-2019 04:57 AM
    Well I've factory reset the phone. Ok Google keyword works, but it would work after resets. Here's hoping whatever the issue was has been fixed.....
    It sounds like you had multiple issues going on.....a factory reset was probably a good idea ;-)
    Phones always suprise me with how good they work after a factory reset when you've been living with multiple bugs for a while.
    01-24-2019 05:05 AM
    It sounds like you had multiple issues going on.....a factory reset was probably a good idea ;-)
    Phones always suprise me with how good they work after a factory reset when you've been living with multiple bugs for a while.
    Yeah, phone seems to be smoother after the factory reset. Probably as all the cache in apps have been wiped. So far so good.

EDIT: Seems like battery life is slightly better too? Not sure if it's placebo, or if it actually is better than what I had before. I'll need to try for a few days and see how it goes, but so far things are looking good.
    mustang7757 and J Dubbs like this.
    01-24-2019 06:14 AM
    hopefully it stays that way.
    01-24-2019 08:31 AM
    I have a similar problem as well. I notice it more when I'm connected to Andriod Auto and I try the voice command and it doesn't work.

I don't have the issue with Tips and Support section. Just with Ok/Hey Google not responding. And like you, a restart clears it up, but only for some time.

Please let me know if the factory reset is key to fixing this.

Thx.
    01-24-2019 10:25 AM
    I am also experiencing the issue with the "OK Google" hotword not activating. A simple restart seems to fix the issue.
    01-24-2019 02:20 PM
    I've had this problem the last few days also. Restart fixes it for a while. Not sure what to do.
    01-25-2019 08:22 AM
    I've had this problem the last few days also. Restart fixes it for a while. Not sure what to do.
    Maybe need factory reset also
    brosko likes this.
    01-25-2019 09:17 AM
    Yes, but I'd rather not. I just got done setting up my passwords etc. A hard reset with the power button has fixed it for now (last 24 hours anyway)
    mustang7757 likes this.
    01-25-2019 11:04 AM
    Also whatever is causing this it will most likely be fixed/go away.
    01-25-2019 11:05 AM
    Yes, but I'd rather not. I just got done setting up my passwords etc. A hard reset with the power button has fixed it for now (last 24 hours anyway)
    I Know sometimes it's a pain to do the reset but the other OP said it lasted only couple days with soft reset. I guess see how it goes.
    01-25-2019 11:10 AM
    A pressed and held the power button for a good 30 seconds until it restarted. I always thought that was a "hard reset" and a "soft reset" was just restarting the device normally, with a Factory reset being more complete and thorough than either? Obviously I could be (and most likely am) wrong. I'm sure the problem will most likely fix itself sooner or later anyway. Over the last 10 years I've seen it happen a bunch of times with Android/Google.
    01-25-2019 11:23 AM
    A pressed and held the power button for a good 30 seconds until it restarted. I always thought that was a "hard reset" and a "soft reset" was just restarting the device normally, with a Factory reset being more complete and thorough than either? Obviously I could be (and most likely am) wrong. I'm sure the problem will most likely fix itself sooner or later anyway. Over the last 10 years I've seen it happen a bunch of times with Android/Google.
    Soft reset is restart and hard is factory reset.
    brosko likes this.
    01-25-2019 11:31 AM
    Mine does this with Android auto as well. Will randomly stop working but then fine after a restart. It used to do this with my note 8 with an older version of Waze back when but this is pretty consistent every few days. Does everyone having this problem use Waze on Android auto?
    01-29-2019 07:35 AM
    If we think of how we're supposed to reboot a computer regularly, that is how we need to approach these 'phones" They are computers that can also call a phone number. I don't get a dial tone <sarcasm. Someone needs to come up with a more appropriate monikar for these micro supercomputer tracking AI devices. Basically, I guess, they have almost reached the point of being a AI robot without the hardware. Rebooting is a necessity.
    Using Google voice along with Android auto has given me glitches which I attribute to the code running for 2 va apps simultaneously. Then while driving I tell it to pull up my weather radar and read out a message, what could go wrong?
    So many new anon posts with problems that are usually fixed by a cleared cache and a reboot.
    Sorry for the rambling. Still on the first cup.
    mustang7757 and Zeus369 like this.
    01-29-2019 07:55 AM
    If we think of how we're supposed to reboot a computer regularly, that is how we need to approach these 'phones" They are computers that can also call a phone number. I don't get a dial tone <sarcasm. Someone needs to come up with a more appropriate monikar for these micro supercomputer tracking AI devices. Basically, I guess, they have almost reached the point of being a AI robot without the hardware. Rebooting is a necessity.
    Using Google voice along with Android auto has given me glitches which I attribute to the code running for 2 va apps simultaneously. Then while driving I tell it to pull up my weather radar and read out a message, what could go wrong?
    So many new anon posts with problems that are usually fixed by a cleared cache and a reboot.
    Sorry for the rambling. Still on the first cup.
    I agree..
    01-29-2019 09:00 AM
    New name ideas-
    - Personal Internet & Mobile Phone - PIMP
    Used in a sentence 'My new pimp has thin bezels and no notches'

-Location, Application & Internet Device - LAID
    Used in a sentence ' I've got to get a Laid, my old one died'

-Handheld Internet & Phone device - HIP
    Used in a sentence - 'I need my Hip to do almost everything nowadays.'
    Yup, bored.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    01-30-2019 06:11 AM
    New name ideas-

Yup, bored.
    Lol... interesting
    01-30-2019 08:48 AM
    To clear up possible confusion, pressing and holding power button until it restarts is like simulating a battery pull. (like the good old days we had removable batteries).
    Pressing power, then restart is the regular re-start way, but that way it keeps certain items and processes in Cache (thus it takes less time to boot up vs. the press and hold method)
    brosko likes this.
    01-30-2019 10:55 AM
    New name ideas-

Yup, bored.
    ...No.
    01-30-2019 01:14 PM
    To clear up possible confusion, pressing and holding power button until it restarts is like simulating a battery pull. (like the good old days we had removable batteries).
    Pressing power, then restart is the regular re-start way, but that way it keeps certain items and processes in Cache (thus it takes less time to boot up vs. the press and hold method)
    Yeah, that's what I always thought. It seems that a press and hold of the power button until restart has fixed it for me. It's been working now for several days. A regular restart would only fix it for hours or a day at most it seemed.
    01-31-2019 08:03 AM
    New name ideas-

Yup, bored.
    Phone Internet and Computer - PIC.
    As used -' I'm going out, let me grab my Pic.'
    01-31-2019 03:20 PM