Another one of these threads...Please go easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

usedtolovephones

Jun 14, 2018
Visit site
I'll disagree with you on this. I think that for a long time, system updates have been all about bugfixes and security patches. I would say there's a difference between a system version upgrade and a system update (the latter of which is usually maintenance). It's just a semantic issue, I guess. Would you rather Google and OEM's call them "patches" rather than "updates"? Because that also wouldn't be completely accurate either, since some of these updates also add a new feature here and there.

Can you please list more than 2 features which have been added in a monthly 'update'? Or even just more than 1?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

usedtolovephones

Jun 14, 2018
Visit site
https://www.androidauthority.com/february-2019-security-patch-features-950490/

https://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/649644/google-pixel-smartphones-get-night-sight-new-update/

New features added with system updates were more common in the past -- nowadays, a lot of features can be added via updates to Play Services or server-side changes. My main point is that system updates have been all about bugfixes and security patches for a while now.

I won't go too much into this now. These 'updates' are only app updates. No new 'feature' has been added or subtracted system wide.

I agree that security and bugfixes are essential, but no new phone suffers from bugs anyway. For me these are just security patches and shouldn't be considered synonymous to updates. At least iOS updates break something so they can fix it in the next one. Haha.

It's alright. We don't have to agree on everything.

Lastly, I'm a Pixel user. I love my Pixel. Can't stand iOS. But this has to be said. Google is being really lazy lately.

Cheers!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Like I said before, this seems like a semantic issue. I would venture to say that adding something like Night Sight is much more than just an app update, but perhaps that's just one nerd's opinion:p. New system features will typically be reserved for actual OS version upgrades (but that being said, both Google and Apple are starting to hit a wall in terms of how many helpful new features they can add). And I would reiterate that the triumphant parade of new features that we used to see from previous version upgrades has gotten tempered more recently by the ability to update Play Services on the fly (instead of saving everything up for a system update).

Anyway, glad you enjoy your Pixel!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Google and Apple are starting to hit a wall in terms of how many helpful new features they can add

It's to the point where a change in basic design of smartphones is going to bring about the next wave of innovation; candy bar slab has probably gone as far as it can without some kind of redesign. If Glass would have taken off, that would have been kind of big. User Interaction like in 'Minority Report' for example.

OP: Once you get used to the OS, I would look at Nova and maybe icon packs. Those can do a lot to add your own flair top your screens.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I won't go too much into this now. These 'updates' are only app updates. No new 'feature' has been added or subtracted system wide.

I agree that security and bugfixes are essential, but no new phone suffers from bugs anyway. For me these are just security patches and shouldn't be considered synonymous to updates. At least iOS updates break something so they can fix it in the next one. Haha.

It's alright. We don't have to agree on everything.

Lastly, I'm a Pixel user. I love my Pixel. Can't stand iOS. But this has to be said. Google is being really lazy lately.

Cheers!

I would like to add the February update added 2 new features 1. Live transcibe 2. Sound amplifier

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hahaha man this can go forever. I have a Pixel XL as well. I just went to apkmirror and downloaded both on it. Those are just apps mannn.

But it's okay.

Peace.

They are new accessibility features
You don't need to sideload them , its ready available in playstore ,If you have a pixel 3 device its in accessibility setting , but you have a pixel XL so might have to download those features to your phone

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
They are new accessibility features
You don't need to sideload them , its ready available in playstore . If you have a pixel 3 device its in accessibility setting , but you have a pixel XL so might have to download those features to your phone

It was part of the update and it's integrated into the system UI

Status
Not open for further replies.