Another one of these threads...Please go easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AugustVance

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello Everyone,

Long Long time iPhone user here seriously pursuing the move from iOS to Android and getting the Pixel 3 (Not XL). The last Android phone I used was a Note 3 I believe, it was some time ago. Currently I am on an iPhone Xr, and lately, iOS just isnt doing it for me anymore. The only thing currently keeping me on iOS is of course.. //drumroll// imessage. I have been talking it over with a buddy of mine and it looks like the best option is google photos for sharing photos/videos. I dont send tons of videos usually but photos are the main thing (hence wanting to get pixel 3) I would like a seamless way of doing it. I hardly and I mean hardly use any of the extra features in iMessage. They are nice, and I mostly keep in contact with iOS users but I am don't staying on a platform im not 100% happy because of other people I keep in contact with.

Sorry for the long probably not even necessary story.

To my questions:

What are some good android apps? Besides the basic multi platform apps, are there anything

Is the google photos app the best way to share photos/videos? with users who use the app and dont use the app?

any suggestions? tips? advice? I am really wanting to make the switch.

Thank You.

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
The funny part to me is how many people on iOS think moving to Android is a daunting task. It really isnt and you shouldnt be worried about being able to do everything you need to do after you switch over.

Regarding some good android apps: That really depends on how you use your phone. Im sure all of us could recommend hundreds of good apps, but if you dont need them, its a waste of a thread. I personally have no issues with any of the stock Google apps and then download the additional ones I need that arent on the phone already.

As to sending photos, I just do it through MMS/text. Ive never had any problems doing it and I send to people with both Android and iPhone all the time.

The main thing to remember before you switch is, TURN OFF iMESSAGE before you factory reset your iPhone, or put your SIM in the Pixel. Otherwise you will have a murderous time getting SMS to work properly.

ThaiBruin

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I definitely don’t think there’s anything from app perspective that you can do on an iPhone that you can’t do on an Android phone. I have both an iPhone for work and a personal Pixel 3 XL (but have ALWAYS had Androids as personal phones). If you’re not big into animojis and stickers, then you’re not going to miss iMessage outside of seeing the little typing bubbles and read status of your messages, though this IS coming to Android by way of RCS. However, it won’t be anywhere near as pervasive for at least another generation of phones since both the phone and the carriers need to support the feature. I have a few text threads going with fellow Pixel 3 owners with RCS, and it’s nice!

usedtolovephones

Jun 14, 2018
Visit site
I think there are some things you need to look out for which 'most' of the Pixel owners here won't admit but it's true.

Android Pie is no where, and I mean it, it's no where as polished as iOS. I'm talking in terms of UI navigation, gestures, design, animations and etc. You might take these for granted on XR but you'll notice them once you switch.

Also, just being the devil's advocate here, if you're not into customisation and everything, iOS is almost the same if not better as an operating system. And don't fall for the daily updates argument, it's just placebo. Google keep pushing out hollow updates to make pixel diehards happy.

Objectively speaking, pixel 3 won't be able to come close the battery life on the XR. Pixel 3 won't be able to come close to the built quality of the XR. If you're into accessories, Pixel 3 won't be able to come close to the support XR has.

On the other hand, Pixel 3's always on display will be the best thing that is ever going to happen to you. Pixel 3's camera is also the best thing that is ever going to happen to you too. The screen is better. A decent file system is nice to have. First party cases are really nice. Of course, fast charging will change your life altogether.

I won't discourage you to make the change as change is always good but just know that you will be leaving an amazing amazing phone that is the XR.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I see you are a relatively new user - welcome to Android Central, and potentially to the world of Android and the mighty Pixel! I use a Pixel 2 (smaller version) and love it!

Please feel free to write as much or as little background information as you want - it's all beneficial and it helps us to know why you are thinking about switching platforms!

As for apps, there are many awesome ones to choose from! I'll recommend a couple that I think are good - I'm biased though, of course! I highly recommend Zedge - it's a free app that offers ringtones, notification tones, icon packs, and wallpapers! I've been using it for years! My husband's ringtone changes almost monthly!

If you're into calendar apps, I currently use Business Calendar. The calendar widget is really customizable, even if you don't get the pro version that costs a few bucks.

I use Textra off and on and have used it for a few years now - it's a texting app run by a really devoted app development team that has a lot of features and customization options available! The Pro version is only a couple of dollars and the team is quick to respond to issues or questions.

For pictures,I just send MMS pictures to contacts. My in-laws use iPhones and they always get clear images from me.

With regards to advice, as someone who switched from BlackBerry to Android a few years ago: don't do too much all at once! You may become overwhelmed. You'll get used to everything in a few days, so why rush? Maybe do one "big" thing a day - change your wallpaper, add a few widgets, download some new apps, etc.

Welcome again, and please let us know what you decide!

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
I am not going to quote the long response that usedtolovephones made, but it is fair, other than the daily updates thing. Who gets daily updates other than the PH-1? lol. The more updates you get, the more your phone has issues imo. You want your monthly security patches but past that its not a big deal. But yeah, I agree what he says in regards to the XR vs Pixel 3. If you do make the switch, I would keep that XR handy in case you decide to go back.

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Regarding the whole update thing....Its once a month, its a security patch with some extra goodies, not a big deal. When was the last time apple issued an update that didnt have a security flaw, break something, or need a fix within days? I would say well before iOS10.

AugustVance

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think there are some things you need to look out for which 'most' of the Pixel owners here won't admit but it's true.

Android Pie is no where, and I mean it, it's no where as polished as iOS. I'm talking in terms of UI navigation, gestures, design, animations and etc. You might take these for granted on XR but you'll notice them once you switch.

Also, just being the devil's advocate here, if you're not into customisation and everything, iOS is almost the same if not better as an operating system. And don't fall for the daily updates argument, it's just placebo. Google keep pushing out hollow updates to make pixel diehards happy.

Objectively speaking, pixel 3 won't be able to come close the battery life on the XR. Pixel 3 won't be able to come close to the built quality of the XR. If you're into accessories, Pixel 3 won't be able to come close to the support XR has.

On the other hand, Pixel 3's always on display will be the best thing that is ever going to happen to you. Pixel 3's camera is also the best thing that is ever going to happen to you too. The screen is better. A decent file system is nice to have. First party cases are really nice. Of course, fast charging will change your life altogether.

I won't discourage you to make the change as change is always good but just know that you will be leaving an amazing amazing phone that is the XR.

Thank you for this.

Customization is exactly the reason why I am wanting to switch back. I want to be able to do alittle more with my device.

I dont deal with alot of accessories for my iphone anyway. I use a windows PC and I do own a ipad but its shared with family members so we have a family universal icloud account that we buy our movies on and have it and our apple tv associated with just that account.

I know the OS isnt as polished, but from what videos I have seen it doesnt seem bad. Im not going to say I am not verse into tech because I used to be in the rooting business long ago. I just took a step back to enjoy iOS and now I am wanting to get back into the game of Android and enjoy tinkering alittle here and there now. (Dont think I want to root and flash roms anymore).

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
(Dont think I want to root and flash roms anymore).

Even though you can, I havent since my Nexus days. From the first Pixel on, I felt there really wasnt much I wanted to change that Google wasnt doing for me. Or maybe I got tired of it. But Ive been pretty happy with the changes implemented by Google.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What are some good android apps? Besides the basic multi platform apps, are there anything

Is the google photos app the best way to share photos/videos? with users who use the app and dont use the app?

any suggestions? tips? advice? I am really wanting to make the switch.

Since you like customization, definitely try a 3rd party launcher app like Nova.

I agree that Google Photos is the best way to share photos and videos. It's most convenient when the other user has Google Photos as well (which works totally fine on iPhones), but if they don't, you can also easily share the link. The only issue would be for people who don't (or refuse to) have a Google account. With a Pixel, you also get the benefit of unlimited backup storage of photos at full resolution, which completely removes the anxiety of losing important pictures. (With non-Pixel phones, you can still get unlimited backup storage at "High Quality," which is slightly compressed, but I've never been able to detect a significant degradation of image quality.)

If you don't already have one, go out and spend a few bucks on a Chromecast -- setup and use is easy, and Chromecast is powerful and versatile.

The previous comment about Android not being as polished as iOS makes me think about the times I have to use an iOS device. I know this is because I'm steeped in Android devices and their use is second nature to me, but when I use an iOS device, I actually find the UI to be relatively nonintuitive. And when I use an Android app that is clearly a lazy port from the iOS version, the UI can be just plain confusing and irritating. Not that the iOS UI is bad -- it's just that you get used to what you get used to.

The "hollow updates" comment is fairly irrational. Monthly security patches are important, especially in today's cybersecurity wasteland.

usedtolovephones

Jun 14, 2018
Visit site
You're welcome!

Yes, then it sounds like you're really going to enjoy the pixel.

The first thing you'll probably encounter is the wallpaper, and boy are they amazing on the Pixel 3. You'll absolutely love the live wallpapers collection! They bring the phone to life.

Best of luck! What color are you thinking?

Anastayja1

Trusted Member
Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I have a Pixel 3 and XS Max. Truthfully, I like them both but prefer the iPhone when I am doing business things. For example, with my iPhone I can open Excel attachments etc directly on my phone without having to download any other apps. With the Pixel I can't and that's annoying. If you aren't going to be using the Pixel for work purposes I don't think you will find the transition hard at all. The Pixel is a very enjoyable phone to use. Plus, being able to customize your device is also nice. As far as apps go, I only use what I need so can't really make suggestions. What I would suggest is that if it is financially possible for you to keep both then you should definitely do so.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I use both IOS and Pixel Android on a daily basis. If I had to pick one it would be Pixel. The only reason I still use IOS is because I have to for work. It's really a matter of personal choice, needs and also a matter of opinion as to which one is better.

Last edited:

usedtolovephones

Jun 14, 2018
Visit site
Since you like customization, definitely try a 3rd party launcher app like Nova.

The previous comment about Android not being as polished as iOS makes me think about the times I have to use an iOS device. I know this is because I'm steeped in Android devices and their use is second nature to me, but when I use an iOS device, I actually find the UI to be relatively nonintuitive. And when I use an Android app that is clearly a lazy port from the iOS version, the UI can be just plain confusing and irritating. Not that the iOS UI is bad -- it's just that you get used to what you get used to.

The "hollow updates" comment is fairly irrational. Monthly security patches are important, especially in today's cybersecurity wasteland.

Consistency is key. Android Pie has very little of it. Oreo was much, much coherent in terms of UI navigation and animations. There are a lot of loose ends in Pie e.g. App Drawer, Gestures and the back button to name a few. Not calling them bad, just inconsistent. Apple on the other hand has done an amazing job with whatever's left of iOS. There's very little which you can do but what you can it does it consistently.

Also, I'm sure you've seen threads here with people 'looking for changes' after the updates. The word 'update' has been associated with 'new' for quite a while now and Google knows it. They're selling security 'patches' as updates now. Going from Android P to Q is an update. Going from January Security Patch to February isn't. So yes, security is good with Android Pie but updates aren't.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I agree that Google Photos is the best way to share photos and videos. It's most convenient when the other user has Google Photos as well (which works totally fine on iPhones), but if they don't, you can also easily share the link. The only issue would be for people who don't (or refuse to) have a Google account. With a Pixel, you also get the benefit of unlimited backup storage of photos at full resolution, which completely removes the anxiety of losing important pictures. (With non-Pixel phones, you can still get unlimited backup storage at "High Quality," which is slightly compressed, but I've never been able to detect a significant degradation of image quality.)

If you don't already have one, go out and spend a few bucks on a Chromecast -- setup and use is easy, and Chromecast is powerful and versatile.

....and to add to your comments. The monthly updates are not just security patches.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site

I'll echo the Nova sentiment. I don't know if you'll want to jump into a launcher that quickly, but I find it infinitely more polished than either LG's or Samsung's launchers, but that's just me. A lot of people prefer Samsung's take on Android. I like a setup closer to Google's. The beauty of Android. Make your phone your own.

JHStewart1023

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
I have both an iPhone Xs Max and the pixel 3.. there are certain things I use either device for but honestly I always go back to the pixel... there's just something I really like about this device.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Also, I'm sure you've seen threads here with people 'looking for changes' after the updates. The word 'update' has been associated with 'new' for quite a while now and Google knows it. They're selling security 'patches' as updates now. Going from Android P to Q is an update. Going from January Security Patch to February isn't. So yes, security is good with Android Pie but updates aren't.

I'll disagree with you on this. I think that for a long time, system updates have been all about bugfixes and security patches. I would say there's a difference between a system version upgrade and a system update (the latter of which is usually maintenance). It's just a semantic issue, I guess. Would you rather Google and OEM's call them "patches" rather than "updates"? Because that also wouldn't be completely accurate either, since some of these updates also add a new feature here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12