Google searches and Google images load SO slowly... Thinking about changing DNS to off or private...

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Your Google searches in - the Assistant? A browser (which browser)? Can you give an example of a search that is bottlenecked?
Is this happening on both cellular and Wi-Fi?

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Sort for the lack of details...

Cellular or wifi.
Chrome browser
Any searches involving Google - then clicking on the images tab take forever. The results slowly populate and then freeze for 10 seconds before I'm able to scroll...

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you disable DNS, you'll really see slow - like no connection at all.

Either use the one your WiFi gives you, use the router address itself (the Gateway address) or use Cloudflare (1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1). (Cloudflare is faster than even Google.) For mobile data, either the one your carrier gives you or Cloudflare (if you can change the DNS setting).

But understand - DNS just gives your device the numerical address for the canaonical address (in other words, you put in "aol.com" and it gives you 124.108.115.87. That's all DNS does. Changing the DNS server you're using doesn't change the speed of your connection.)

Slow image load is either a bad encryption in WiFi (don't use TKIP or TKIP+AES, use AES - it's not only faster, it's more secure), but that doesn't apply to mobile data. If you're seeing it on both, it's Chrome nor working right, not enough RAM available or something like that. Once you see the image start loading, you're way past doing a DNS lookup.

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
If you disable DNS, you'll really see slow - like no connection at all.

Either use the one your WiFi gives you, use the router address itself (the Gateway address) or use Cloudflare (1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1). (Cloudflare is faster than even Google.) For mobile data, either the one your carrier gives you or Cloudflare (if you can change the DNS setting).

But understand - DNS just gives your device the numerical address for the canaonical address (in other words, you put in "aol.com" and it gives you 124.108.115.87. That's all DNS does. Changing the DNS server you're using doesn't change the speed of your connection.)

Phone won't let me enter 1.1.1.1 - the save option Greys out when I type the final 1

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Sort for the lack of details...

Cellular or wifi.
Chrome browser
Any searches involving Google - then clicking on the images tab take forever. The results slowly populate and then freeze for 10 seconds before I'm able to scroll...
Hmm, not sure what to say. I fired up Chrome, typed 'Google Pixel phone' and hit enter and results came flooding in. Selected the 'Images' tab and scrolled through tons of information. This was all on a Wi-Fi connection.
I'm using the default connection setup (not Cloud flare).

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Phone won't let me enter 1.1.1.1 - the save option Greys out when I type the final 1
See screenshot.
90eee5dc32b24ccb1aaa854276650947.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy