Apps started auto-updating since March update

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok this is weird, and annoying.

I have App Auto-Updates turned off in the play store, but since I installed the March update on Monday, it started auto updating apps even though I still have that feature turned off.

First I noticed yesterday that 3 stock apps that I have disabled somehow got enabled and the play store auto updated them by itself. I went ahead and disabled them again.

This morning, I was looking in the play store for updates, and noticed that Facebook was updated 44 minutes ago. Now I didn't do that, it seems it did it itself.

This is annoying as I don't want this thing doing updates itself without my permission.

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Cant help you with that, I have mine set to auto update over wifi. Not sure why I would worry about updating without permission, if you could explain that to me? However, I will try turning my auto update off and see if I can recreate what youre experiencing.

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Cant help you with that, I have mine set to auto update over wifi. Not sure why I would worry about updating without permission, if you could explain that to me? However, I will try turning my auto update off and see if I can recreate what youre experiencing.

Control. I want to control when apps update after I look and decide if I want it to.

That's like saying why don't I give my wife access to my bank account? Because I control when and how my money gets spent that I worked for, not someone else. :)

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Control. I want to control when apps update after I look and decide if I want it to.

I don't have a direct answer, but I do agree with you on not auto updating. I try to read reviews and app info first because sometimes the app changes in a way that people don't like. That usually becomes evident in the reviews.

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site

That's like saying why don't I give my wife access to my bank account? Because I control when and how my money gets spent that I worked for, not someone else. :)

I dont see that as the same argument. Updating functionality of an app is different than changing its actual permissions on the phone(which you can always go in and change). But again, why would you not want to update an app? Have you ever said no to an update? Did that app not work as expected anymore? Also, I went in to try to change my permissions and I only have Auto Update: Over any network, Over Wifi only, and Dont auto update apps. I didnt see an "ask permission" option.

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I dont see that as the same argument. Updating functionality of an app is different than changing its actual permissions on the phone(which you can always go in and change). But again, why would you not want to update an app? Have you ever said no to an update? Did that app not work as expected anymore? Also, I went in to try to change my permissions and I only have Auto Update: Over any network, Over Wifi only, and Dont auto update apps. I didnt see an "ask permission" option.

Mooncatt posted above that explains it perfectly.

Also, I didn't say there was a permission setting, I said I don't want apps updating without "my" permission.

I also have mine set to "Don't auto-update" apps in the play store settings. It might just be a coincidence though, but never had that happen before, and it suddenly just happened twice since I put on the March update. Plus it was really weird that three apps I had Disabled got re-enabled and updated without me doing it.

And yes, I have intentionally not updated some Apps in the past. It could be for various reasons, but usually it's because of a redesign that I don't like. So I prefer to look at what's new first and see what people say before I update.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I don't say no to updates as a rule

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I also prefer to choose when/if to update an app. Just always done it that way. FWIW, mine is still set to not auto update after the latest system update. No change.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I have App Auto-Updates turned off in the play store, but since I installed the March update on Monday, it started auto updating apps even though I still have that feature turned off.
All I can suggest is to Force stop, Clear cache and Clear data for the Google Play Store application and then fire it up again and make your preferred settings.
That certainly shouldn't have happened, and didn't happen on my Pixel 2 XL after the March update.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ok this is weird, and annoying.

First I noticed yesterday that 3 stock apps that I have disabled somehow got enabled and the play store auto updated them by itself. I went ahead and disabled them again.

This morning, I was looking in the play store for updates, and noticed that Facebook was updated 44 minutes ago. Now I didn't do that, it seems it did it itself.

This is annoying as I don't want this thing doing updates itself without my permission.

You have the option also to turn auto update for each individual app you don't want updated or you also have the option if a app gets updated to uninstall the updates.

Attachments

• 7850.jpg
    7850.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 17

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
But again, why would you not want to update an app? Have you ever said no to an update?

It's rare but I've done this before. QuickPic and Weather Timeline were a couple that I declined to update after these apps were acquired by new owners. Recently, I declined to update Pocket Casts that removed a feature I used. So yeah, it happens.

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
It's rare but I've done this before. QuickPic and Weather Timeline were a couple that I declined to update after these apps were acquired by new owners. Recently, I declined to update Pocket Casts that removed a feature I used. So yeah, it happens.

I totally understand now and apologize if I seemed so quick to jump on that question.

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Well I guess it was just a fluke, because I haven't seen it happen since.

The only thing I did which probably didn't really do anything, was I turned Auto Update ON, rebooted the phone a little later and turned it back OFF. After that no more auto updates.

My next step would have been to clear the cache on the play store.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I do the same - no auto updates - and before I update anything, I save an .apk of the app, in case the "update" is a "downdate". Then I can uninstall the update and install the older one. (If there's data, I save it first, then restore it after.)

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I do the same - no auto updates - and before I update anything, I save an .apk of the app, in case the "update" is a "downdate". Then I can uninstall the update and install the older one.
It's unfortunate that Google has made this such a crapshoot - the better implementation would be to allow the user to roll back to the previous version of the application because developers (particularly corporate content) often screw something up, or totally change the UI, and it wou be nice to just be able to go back to the preferred release without all this extra work.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It's unfortunate that Google has made this such a crapshoot - the better implementation would be to allow the user to roll back to the previous version of the application because developers (particularly corporate content) often screw something up, or totally change the UI, and it wou be nice to just be able to go back to the preferred release without all this extra work.
And then you get the apps where they publish an update but don't change the "what's new" description.

*cough*Facebook*cough*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18