Ok this is weird, and annoying.

I have App Auto-Updates turned off in the play store, but since I installed the March update on Monday, it started auto updating apps even though I still have that feature turned off.

First I noticed yesterday that 3 stock apps that I have disabled somehow got enabled and the play store auto updated them by itself. I went ahead and disabled them again.

This morning, I was looking in the play store for updates, and noticed that Facebook was updated 44 minutes ago. Now I didn't do that, it seems it did it itself.

This is annoying as I don't want this thing doing updates itself without my permission.
    03-06-2019 09:41 AM
    Cant help you with that, I have mine set to auto update over wifi. Not sure why I would worry about updating without permission, if you could explain that to me? However, I will try turning my auto update off and see if I can recreate what youre experiencing.
    03-06-2019 09:55 AM
    Cant help you with that, I have mine set to auto update over wifi. Not sure why I would worry about updating without permission, if you could explain that to me? However, I will try turning my auto update off and see if I can recreate what youre experiencing.

Control. I want to control when apps update after I look and decide if I want it to.

That's like saying why don't I give my wife access to my bank account? Because I control when and how my money gets spent that I worked for, not someone else.
    brosko and Rukbat like this.
    03-06-2019 11:26 AM
    Control. I want to control when apps update after I look and decide if I want it to.
    I don't have a direct answer, but I do agree with you on not auto updating. I try to read reviews and app info first because sometimes the app changes in a way that people don't like. That usually becomes evident in the reviews.
    Tritonemusic and Wiley_11 like this.
    03-06-2019 11:30 AM

That's like saying why don't I give my wife access to my bank account? Because I control when and how my money gets spent that I worked for, not someone else.
    I dont see that as the same argument. Updating functionality of an app is different than changing its actual permissions on the phone(which you can always go in and change). But again, why would you not want to update an app? Have you ever said no to an update? Did that app not work as expected anymore? Also, I went in to try to change my permissions and I only have Auto Update: Over any network, Over Wifi only, and Dont auto update apps. I didnt see an "ask permission" option.
    03-06-2019 11:34 AM
    I dont see that as the same argument. Updating functionality of an app is different than changing its actual permissions on the phone(which you can always go in and change). But again, why would you not want to update an app? Have you ever said no to an update? Did that app not work as expected anymore? Also, I went in to try to change my permissions and I only have Auto Update: Over any network, Over Wifi only, and Dont auto update apps. I didnt see an "ask permission" option.
    Mooncatt posted above that explains it perfectly.

Also, I didn't say there was a permission setting, I said I don't want apps updating without "my" permission.

I also have mine set to "Don't auto-update" apps in the play store settings. It might just be a coincidence though, but never had that happen before, and it suddenly just happened twice since I put on the March update. Plus it was really weird that three apps I had Disabled got re-enabled and updated without me doing it.

And yes, I have intentionally not updated some Apps in the past. It could be for various reasons, but usually it's because of a redesign that I don't like. So I prefer to look at what's new first and see what people say before I update.
    HyperM3, Tritonemusic and brosko like this.
    03-06-2019 11:55 AM
    I don't say no to updates as a rule
    cindylike24 likes this.
    03-06-2019 11:55 AM
    I also prefer to choose when/if to update an app. Just always done it that way. FWIW, mine is still set to not auto update after the latest system update. No change.
    03-06-2019 12:24 PM
    I have App Auto-Updates turned off in the play store, but since I installed the March update on Monday, it started auto updating apps even though I still have that feature turned off.
    All I can suggest is to Force stop, Clear cache and Clear data for the Google Play Store application and then fire it up again and make your preferred settings.
    That certainly shouldn't have happened, and didn't happen on my Pixel 2 XL after the March update.
    03-06-2019 08:35 PM
    I agree with GSDer try that and see what happens something got out of whack.
    03-06-2019 10:11 PM

First I noticed yesterday that 3 stock apps that I have disabled somehow got enabled and the play store auto updated them by itself. I went ahead and disabled them again.

This morning, I was looking in the play store for updates, and noticed that Facebook was updated 44 minutes ago. Now I didn't do that, it seems it did it itself.

This is annoying as I don't want this thing doing updates itself without my permission.
    You have the option also to turn auto update for each individual app you don't want updated or you also have the option if a app gets updated to uninstall the updates.
    Attached Thumbnails Apps started auto-updating since March update-7850.jpg  
    03-06-2019 10:16 PM
    But again, why would you not want to update an app? Have you ever said no to an update?
    It's rare but I've done this before. QuickPic and Weather Timeline were a couple that I declined to update after these apps were acquired by new owners. Recently, I declined to update Pocket Casts that removed a feature I used. So yeah, it happens.
    brosko likes this.
    03-07-2019 11:04 AM
    It's rare but I've done this before. QuickPic and Weather Timeline were a couple that I declined to update after these apps were acquired by new owners. Recently, I declined to update Pocket Casts that removed a feature I used. So yeah, it happens.
    I totally understand now and apologize if I seemed so quick to jump on that question.
    03-07-2019 11:13 AM
    Yeah definitely no auto update. You gotta scrutinize it first imo
    03-10-2019 08:50 PM
    Well I guess it was just a fluke, because I haven't seen it happen since.

The only thing I did which probably didn't really do anything, was I turned Auto Update ON, rebooted the phone a little later and turned it back OFF. After that no more auto updates.

My next step would have been to clear the cache on the play store.

Thanks for all the feedback.
    03-11-2019 03:03 PM
    I do the same - no auto updates - and before I update anything, I save an .apk of the app, in case the "update" is a "downdate". Then I can uninstall the update and install the older one. (If there's data, I save it first, then restore it after.)
    Tritonemusic and J Dubbs like this.
    03-11-2019 04:23 PM
    I do the same - no auto updates - and before I update anything, I save an .apk of the app, in case the "update" is a "downdate". Then I can uninstall the update and install the older one.
    It's unfortunate that Google has made this such a crapshoot - the better implementation would be to allow the user to roll back to the previous version of the application because developers (particularly corporate content) often screw something up, or totally change the UI, and it wou be nice to just be able to go back to the preferred release without all this extra work.
    J Dubbs and mrpackerguy like this.
    03-12-2019 12:49 PM
    It's unfortunate that Google has made this such a crapshoot - the better implementation would be to allow the user to roll back to the previous version of the application because developers (particularly corporate content) often screw something up, or totally change the UI, and it wou be nice to just be able to go back to the preferred release without all this extra work.
    And then you get the apps where they publish an update but don't change the "what's new" description.

*cough*Facebook*cough*
    03-12-2019 02:43 PM
    And then you get the apps where they publish an update but don't change the "what's new" description.
    *cough*Facebook*cough*
    "Bug fixes and performance improvements"
    *choke*Google*choke*
    03-12-2019 03:22 PM
    Does anyone need water in here
    Mooncatt and J Dubbs like this.
    03-12-2019 03:40 PM
    Been having this same problem. Disabling auto updates is the only thing that has worked, but it makes many paid apps not work. I've had it automatically update apps and the apps stop working. I uninstall the new version and reinstall the old. Then it works for 15 minutes until auto update does it's damage again. Google is blaming Samsung, even though the problem is being reported on ALL brands, including Google's own pixel. When I pointed that out, they said it's still Samsung. WTH?? ZDNet has confirmed the issue but won't stare down Google.
    03-29-2019 09:31 AM
    Disabling auto updates is the only thing that has worked, but it makes many paid apps not work.
    I have no idea what this is supposed to mean - in the whole time I've been using an Android phone I've had "Auto-update apps" turned off and I've never seen a problem with paid apps failing to work because of it.
    03-29-2019 11:02 AM

I had this happening too. I found it was because my Samsung had Play Store & Galaxy store. I had auto update off in one & not the other. Wish app & several others kept updating even tho I had turned off that in Play Store.
    Regarding Facebook & Messenger updates, some phone's & later OS like mine have an app called Facebook Manager & Messenger Manager which override store settings on updates. U need to disable both these manager apps in Settings/Apps to greet control back over them.
    Hope this helps. I beloved everyone should have the choice to update or not, seems app designers keep finding ways around people not wanting to update. Besides it fills your phone memory up unnecessarily, esp if you don't use ask app often. Not to mention, the data they use if thou need to meter it.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    11-02-2019 02:41 AM
    If something's working good there's no need to update it, change is never good just for the sake of change....in fact it's usually bad......bad for your app, bad for your phone, and bad for your pocketbook
    11-03-2019 01:32 AM