Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm huge networking and phone geek, currently have a Verizon Galaxy s8 but I've had a Nexus 6p before was going to get the OnePlus 6t but Verizon has a good deal on the pixel 3 XL $400 off so I'm excited to get the pixel 3 XL! Also obviously the pixel 3XL has much better speakers, and the better camera! What is everyone using for SMS? Textra or Android messaging? And for the people here that have a pixel 3 XL on Verizon, does your RCS feature work? Thanks for your feedback. Can't wait to get mine!
    03-09-2019 01:13 PM
    Welcome

I just use the standard messaging app but if I were to stray Textra is a good one and take a look at the Verizon messages app.

RCS is enabled on my phone, however I have no one that I can use it with at the moment.
    03-09-2019 01:25 PM
    Ah I gotcha unfortunately. I've been testing both applications. Textra has nice Android auto integration. Once I get the oixel 3 XL, Im definitely going g to give messages a serious fo again! I'm sick of Galaxy phones. I was forced to upgrade. My Nexus 6p suffered from that horrible bootloop issue. Miss stock Android purists phone!
    03-09-2019 01:44 PM
    Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm huge networking and phone geek, currently have a Verizon Galaxy s8 but I've had a Nexus 6p before was going to get the OnePlus 6t but Verizon has a good deal on the pixel 3 XL $400 off so I'm excited to get the pixel 3 XL! Also obviously the pixel 3XL has much better speakers, and the better camera! What is everyone using for SMS? Textra or Android messaging? And for the people here that have a pixel 3 XL on Verizon, does your RCS feature work? Thanks for your feedback. Can't wait to get mine!
    I would encourage you to use Messages. Welcome back.
    03-09-2019 01:47 PM
    I would encourage you to use Messages. Welcome back.
    Well, why thank you so much! Why do you encourage messages vs. Textra though?
    03-09-2019 01:49 PM
    Well, why thank you so much! Why do you encourage messages vs. Textra though?
    The chat feature of RCS
    03-09-2019 01:50 PM
    The chat feature of RCS
    Gotcha. Makes sense. I'll go back to messages then. Ha
    Michael Detwiler likes this.
    03-09-2019 01:53 PM
    Welcome Eric!
    I use stock message , I don't like to download 3rd party apps for native apps for reason to enjoy what stock Google experience brings
    Michael Detwiler and J Dubbs like this.
    03-09-2019 01:57 PM
    If you want RCS support, then you're pretty much limited to the Messages app. AFAIK the only other SMS app that supports RCS is Samsung's messaging app which you won't have since you just moved away from Sammy. But that information was based on mid December info. So take 3-4 month old info with a grain of salt. For all I know, more 3rd party SMS apps may support it.

To be fair though, Google's Messages app has improved leaps and bounds over the past year.

That being said... At this time I have maybe a few contacts out of hundreds that have services (and in some cases devices) that support RCS. So results vary when I send messages depending on whether RCS is supported at their end.
    03-09-2019 03:42 PM
    Since you're already on Verizon I'd recommend Message+ https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ssaging.vzmsgs - it has Glympse integrated (I happen to use that feature pretty often) and has had RCS for quite a while (if you're communicating with other Verizon folks anyway).
    03-09-2019 05:54 PM
    Double the vote for Verizon's Message+, and you can get an app for using it on your computer, too, which is really handy!
    03-11-2019 12:47 AM
    Double the vote for Verizon's Message+, and you can get an app for using it on your computer, too, which is really handy!
    Message + will also allow you to install it on a tablet and make wifi phone calls. I used to do that at at friends cabin and on trips out of the country before wifi calling was available on phones. I even installed it on an old iPhone and made calls with that.
    Nowadays I use the stock Google app.
    03-11-2019 01:51 AM
    Okay so I'm having a little difficult decision with which case i would get for the phone. I'm going to get the pure white color because it looks the best in my opinion. I was thinking either the Peel case or something very minimal. Such as the pure white marble dbrand skin. When I bought my Galaxy so, I didn't realize how slippery with the edge screens the phone was, and I wound up dropping the phone and cracking it 3 times on pavement unfortunately. It's the first phone I've ever dropped that I've owned. I'm not rough on my phones at all. I just need a case that'll protect that'll actually protect the back and sides of the phone.
    03-11-2019 09:21 AM
    Okay so I'm having a little difficult decision with which case i would get for the phone. I'm going to get the pure white color because it looks the best in my opinion. I was thinking either the Peel case or something very minimal. Such as the pure white marble dbrand skin. When I bought my Galaxy so, I didn't realize how slippery with the edge screens the phone was, and I wound up dropping the phone and cracking it 3 times on pavement unfortunately. It's the first phone I've ever dropped that I've owned. I'm not rough on my phones at all. I just need a case that'll protect that'll actually protect the back and sides of the phone.
    Ringke makes good phone cases. Remember that anything minimal offers minimal protection.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    03-11-2019 09:42 AM
    The Peel case isn't much more than scratch protection plus it changes the color of your phone.
    03-11-2019 09:46 AM
    Ringke makes good phone cases. Remember that anything minimal offers minimal protection.
    Oh yeah I know absolutely. I mean I figure as long as ive got a good grip on the phone, I won't drop it but I know what you mean. I just want something super minimal with a good grip on it.
    The Peel case isn't much more than scratch protection plus it changes the color of your phone.
    Yeah I just want to to protect surface of the phone. I figure as long as it's easy to pick up off of flat surface have a good grip on it then should be all right.
    03-11-2019 09:53 AM
    Oh yeah I know absolutely. I mean I figure as long as ive got a good grip on the phone, I won't drop it but I know what you mean. I just want something super minimal with a good grip on it. Yeah I just want to to protect surface of the phone. I figure as long as it's easy to pick up off of flat surface have a good grip on it then should be all right.
    It also doesn't have a raised front so recommend a get a screen protector.
    03-11-2019 09:58 AM
    Yeah. I know. I was also looking at clear cases on Amazon, just trying to figure out what I want.
    03-11-2019 10:06 AM
    Yeah. I know. I was also looking at clear cases on Amazon, just trying to figure out what I want.
    I went with ESR tempered glass clear case
    03-11-2019 11:11 AM
    I went with ESR tempered glass clear case
    Thanks for the suggestion I have to take a look at it.
    03-11-2019 11:20 AM
    I played around with the stock messaging app and to me it's boring and not configurable. I use Chomp and I'd think, for android users who like to fiddle around with all kinds of settings, they'd want something in a text app like that. Chomp can change both in the conversation list and the text screens: background color, fonts, font size, font color, font appearance, bubble colors, bubble shapes, set auto-timed text messages daily or weekly or monthly (I have my bank account balance auto-texted to me everyday at 3:30pm). There's also quick compose from home screen and lots of different themes, and conventional settings like blocking, etc. Really a fun experience for texting which I use quite a bit with my family.
    03-11-2019 11:34 AM
    You know, I tried chomp SMS for a while a couple years ago. That's why I started using Textra for the customization. To me though, Android messaging for some reason works faster and sends out MMS messages faster than the other application still. and as long as Android messaging support RCS on the pixel it's a go. You're right though, the other applications do have a lot more customization so it just depends on what you really really want an application. How do you like using chomp SMS so far though?
    03-11-2019 11:41 AM
    You know, I tried chomp SMS for a while a couple years ago. That's why I started using Textra for the customization. To me though, Android messaging for some reason works faster and sends out MMS messages faster than the other application still. and as long as Android messaging support RCS on the pixel it's a go. You're right though, the other applications do have a lot more customization so it just depends on what you really really want an application. How do you like using chomp SMS so far though?
    I still really, really like it. Several years ago I paid to become a PRO user. It removed ads, but quite frankly, I don't remember ads on CHOMP. And I don't even remember what extra features I got with PRO. But another thing is that if something is quirky or not working or you have a suggested feature to add, when you send a message to support, they actually answer you back! I really like the customization features, because as my close-up sight has gotten worse with age, making the text size bigger is a great help without having to slap on readers.
    03-11-2019 03:48 PM
    I still really, really like it. Several years ago I paid to become a PRO user. It removed ads, but quite frankly, I don't remember ads on CHOMP. And I don't even remember what extra features I got with PRO. But another thing is that if something is quirky or not working or you have a suggested feature to add, when you send a message to support, they actually answer you back! I really like the customization features, because as my close-up sight has gotten worse with age, making the text size bigger is a great help without having to slap on readers.
    plus I'm glad you like chomp SMS. I love Android messages again. Especially when RCS feature works for me on my pixel 3XL! just out of curiosity, for everyone's ambient display, do you keep it always on, or just when you receive a new notification by picking up the phone or double tapping on the lock screen? Does keeping it always on drain a significant amount of battery?
    03-11-2019 10:32 PM