04-01-2019 02:14 PM
55 123
tools
    Nope, if that's the hardware we are getting, it's not enough of a change to upgrade from 3 xl.

I am a camera Sucker. Unless the Pixel 4 brings something crazy to the table, the hardware design change alone not going to win me over from my solid 3 xl.

Thoughts?

Source:

https://bgr.com/2019/03/15/pixel-4-r...n-leak-render/

New render might give us our first look at Google’s Pixel 4 design-d1j8r-usw0-aa1-nr-m.jpeg
    03-15-2019 06:14 PM
    All I want is bigger battery and wide angle cam front and back
    chrispmoto likes this.
    03-15-2019 07:29 PM
    I think it's a bit change bc anything removing the huge notch is a big upgrade. Still love my pixel 3 xl..
    J Dubbs and eric002 like this.
    03-15-2019 08:18 PM
    Renders are interesting if for nothing else but to start a discussion ... I'm not too into hardware. I just feel it's getting to the point of being a commodity and not really a differentiator as much as it used to be.

That said, that particular design looks kinda wide, no ..?
    sixty_four and brosko like this.
    03-15-2019 09:28 PM
    If they went with this design the navigation bar will probably still take up screen lol. When other companies give you more options.
    03-15-2019 11:46 PM
    put in 6gb of ram and a bigger battery and this is what the pixel 3 should have been.
    chrispmoto likes this.
    03-16-2019 06:43 PM
    Wonder if the second camera is an ultrawide or telephoto.
    03-16-2019 06:46 PM
    Wonder if the second camera is an ultrawide or telephoto.
    I hope telephoto but I am thinking wide angle.
    03-16-2019 06:57 PM
    Nope, if that's the hardware we are getting, it's not enough of a change to upgrade from 3 xl.

I am a camera Sucker. Unless the Pixel 4 brings something crazy to the table, the hardware design change alone not going to win me over from my solid 3 xl.

Thoughts?

Source:

https://bgr.com/2019/03/15/pixel-4-r...n-leak-render/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d1j8r-usw0-aa1-nr-m.jpeg 
Views:	48 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	300193
    No comment until the time limit is up.

Only a TV Superman series in black and white fan will understand.
    03-16-2019 09:32 PM
    I hope telephoto but I am thinking wide angle.
    I'm thinking it will get wide angle. They already do a great job with digital zoom with only one lens.

I'm partially jaded because I find wide lenses much more fun.
    03-16-2019 09:34 PM
    I'm thinking it will get wide angle. They already do a great job with digital zoom with only one lens.

I'm partially jaded because I find wide lenses much more fun.
    I also wouldn't even mind if they stick with one lense if they went with the absolute best lens and bump in sensor size.
    03-17-2019 03:39 PM
    I also wouldn't even mind if they stick with one lense if they went with the absolute best lens and bump in sensor size.
    I'm not sure they can increase sensor size by much without increasing the depth of the device.
    03-17-2019 06:04 PM
    That's the P4 I want to buy. Didn't get a 3 so will upgrade my 2XL
    03-19-2019 04:46 PM
    The renders don't make sense. Front and Rear cams are in the same place.
    DMP89145 likes this.
    03-19-2019 07:06 PM
    The renders don't make sense. Front and Rear cams are in the same place.
    Also, chin is large.
    03-20-2019 03:16 AM
    I wouldn't object to a little better battery life which normally would mean a larger battery, but hoping the efficiency gains of a 7nm chip over the 845 at 10nm might provide enough.

Regarding camera, while I do continue to believe that Google could maintain class-leading photo performance with a single lens, I am hopeful that they add a 2nd lens to the rear to allow for wide angle shots or maybe integrate a 10x optical zoom (mechanics of which can all be done without increasing the camera bump - Oppo has already provided proof-of-concept). A 2nd lens also could enable untold wizardry via their AI/ML.

A bump in RAM is do, not so much because it is critically needed, but because it will provide a little more headroom for apps over the next few years, and the cost of same has come down a good bit now that higher RAM modules are more mainstream.

Other than that, I don't find that the Pixel 3 XL has any shortcomings that need to be addressed other than the obvious notch.

I do truly hope Google doesn't make a lemming move with an in-screen FPS, though. The rear FPS has been perfect in performance and in a location which is more functional ergonomically in nearly every instance (how often are you interacting with your phone on your desk without picking it up to do something other than check nature of notifications, which can be done without unlocking the phone?).
    03-21-2019 08:34 AM
    I wouldn't object to a little better battery life which normally would mean a larger battery, but hoping the efficiency gains of a 7nm chip over the 845 at 10nm might provide enough.

Regarding camera, while I do continue to believe that Google could maintain class-leading photo performance with a single lens, I am hopeful that they add a 2nd lens to the rear to allow for wide angle shots or maybe integrate a 10x optical zoom (mechanics of which can all be done without increasing the camera bump - Oppo has already provided proof-of-concept). A 2nd lens also could enable untold wizardry via their AI/ML.

A bump in RAM is do, not so much because it is critically needed, but because it will provide a little more headroom for apps over the next few years, and the cost of same has come down a good bit now that higher RAM modules are more mainstream.

Other than that, I don't find that the Pixel 3 XL has any shortcomings that need to be addressed other than the obvious notch.

I do truly hope Google doesn't make a lemming move with an in-screen FPS, though. The rear FPS has been perfect in performance and in a location which is more functional ergonomically in nearly every instance (how often are you interacting with your phone on your desk without picking it up to do something other than check nature of notifications, which can be done without unlocking the phone?).
    In screen FPS may be the future and here for awhile. It's actually not as bad as some of the critics make it out to be.
    03-21-2019 07:50 PM
    In screen FPS may be the future and here for awhile. It's actually not as bad as some of the critics make it out to be.
    There's no question that appears to be where the market is heading, and I'm not suggesting it's bad - the question is, even should it gets to the performance levels of a modern capacitive FPS (which I wholly believe it will)... if it doesn't offer a general improvement in functionality/ergonomics in more situations than it diminishes it when compared to what has been the standard solution, why?

Apart from the minority use case I mentioned, the only other benefits I can think of are the ability to provide one less seam around which to have to seal against water/dust ingress and better aesthetics of a smooth back - the former of which I've never heard being an issue for anyone, the latter a legitimate point, but one I'd forego in a heartbeat to maintain a secure unlocking system that is managed reflexively through muscle memory.
    03-22-2019 08:16 AM
    There's no question that appears to be where the market is heading, and I'm not suggesting it's bad - the question is, even should it gets to the performance levels of a modern capacitive FPS (which I wholly believe it will)... if it doesn't offer a general improvement in functionality/ergonomics in more situations than it diminishes it when compared to what has been the standard solution, why?

Apart from the minority use case I mentioned, the only other benefits I can think of are the ability to provide one less seam around which to have to seal against water/dust ingress and better aesthetics of a smooth back - the former of which I've never heard being an issue for anyone, the latter a legitimate point, but one I'd forego in a heartbeat to maintain a secure unlocking system that is managed reflexively through muscle memory.
    All great points
    03-22-2019 08:50 AM
    I agree: https://9to5google.com/2019/03/22/galaxy-s10-pixel-4/

Using the Galaxy S10 reminds me where Google needs to improve with the Pixel 4

Google needs to follow more Samsung, less Apple. Samsung is doing something notably different than Apple by avoiding the notch, opting to lean into their screen processing and general hardware strengths. I really like what I've seen with the S10 and would more than welcome them to the Pixel.

This article nails it. None of this should be hard for Google to do for the Pixel 4.
    03-22-2019 10:43 PM
    I agree: https://9to5google.com/2019/03/22/galaxy-s10-pixel-4/

Using the Galaxy S10 reminds me where Google needs to improve with the Pixel 4

Google needs to follow more Samsung, less Apple. Samsung is doing something notably different than Apple by avoiding the notch, opting to lean into their screen processing and general hardware strengths. I really like what I've seen with the S10 and would more than welcome them to the Pixel.

This article nails it. None of this should be hard for Google to do for the Pixel 4.
    I have no doubts the pixel 4 will be amazing phone .
    onthecouchagain likes this.
    03-22-2019 10:56 PM
    if it doesn't offer a general improvement in functionality/ergonomics in more situations than it diminishes it when compared to what has been the standard solution, why?
    That same question has been asked and answered regarding the headphone jack. Go figure.
    03-22-2019 11:57 PM
    I have no doubts the pixel 4 will be amazing phone .
    For 3 years now, pixel phones always laged behind when it came to hardware design. Why would it be different this time? I don't see it. Google seems to not care that much about hardware, I mean look at that notch, slammed on there with no regards to appealing design.

Remember too that Google didn't give you wireless charging or water resistance until 2018 lol. For the record, I have pixel 3 xl and love the phone, but truth has to be told.
    03-23-2019 08:29 AM
    For 3 years now, pixel phones always laged behind when it came to hardware design. Why would it be different this time? I don't see it. Google seems to not care that much about hardware, I mean look at that notch, slammed on there with no regards to appealing design.

Remember too that Google didn't give you wireless charging or water resistance until 2018 lol. For the record, I have pixel 3 xl and love the phone, but truth has to be told.
    I'll give you that Notch bad design by Google how they went about it .
    But rest of the phone is premium, performance been stealer for me .
    I believe they will come out 2019 with great phone because they know they have to compete and I hope they do the Samsung punch hole design because it looks good , the specs it's getting SD 855 7nm processor and minimum 6gb ram which will make this thing really fly and keep apps longer in memory. The Al processing for camera is still the best and now they will probably add dual camera to the rear so I'm not concerned with the camera department , do want them focus on video though. Don't forget this will be their 4th generation they going in right direction.
    DMP89145 likes this.
    03-23-2019 08:54 AM

Remember too that Google was never touted for their hardware and not everyone cares about the notch. The reason it's so tall is because they decided to leave the front firing speakers in place. There were also a number of phones that didn't offer wireless charging or water resistant much before Pixel.

There is no perfect phone. I have the 3XL, S10+ and the iPhone X. They all have their strengths and weaknesses
    Eggmundo likes this.
    03-23-2019 09:51 AM
55 123