My girlfriend and I recently bought Google Pixel 3 XLs. It's her first android phone, she switched from an iPhone so her install was a fresh install. Meanwhile I did the transfer over cable from my Pixel XL to my new Pixel 3 XL.

I have an app behaving completely differently on two identical phones. It only opens in landscape and gives an error saying it was designed for an older version of Android on my phone. It behaved the same way on my original pixel. I've deleted cache, deleted storage, force stopped, uninstalled, removed from my app library in the store. It opens fine on her phone in portrait mode and no errors.

The specific app in question is Cosplanner. I would assume it's related to transferring my files and settings from my old phone or how old my android account is. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced something similar or have a fix that doesn't involve starting over from scratch.
    03-19-2019 05:50 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! What version of the app is shown in Settings>Apps​ on both phones? Is it the same version or different?
    03-19-2019 08:17 PM
    I have an app behaving completely differently on two identical phones. It only opens in landscape and gives an error saying it was designed for an older version of Android on my phone. It behaved the same way on my original pixel....It opens fine on her phone in portrait mode and no errors....I would assume it's related to transferring my files and settings from my old phone.
    I'd agree with your assessment; if you had set up your device from scratch I would have expected the same behavior as what you see on her phone.
    However, the error that you were seeing is probably correct - that application hasn't been updated since 2017 so who knows what it may be relying on that has been deprecated from the OS. Yours is not the only complaint about landscape orientation (look through the comments in the Google Play Store).
    Finally, you didn't mention if both of you are using the application standalone or if you're both syncing to their website or what - that might have a bearing on the behavior if you're doing different things.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    03-20-2019 12:43 AM
    GSDer
    This error only appears upon the first time opening it after installing it so it's before you even get to a login. I did see the reviews originating from Pixel Xl were having this issue and I never used it due to that. I don't see any reviews originating from Pixel 3 XLs.

B. Diddy
    Both of our phones say that it's the most recent version of the app(2.3.2)

So I've reinstalled it a number of times on my phone with varying degrees of removing app data from my phone before uninstalling. I've also tried installing an older .apk I found outside the play store and updating it to see if that might jog it out of the issue. I've also tried powering the phone off and on before reinstalling.
    Attached Thumbnails Apps behaving differently in the exact same phone?-screenshot_20190320-233725.jpg   Apps behaving differently in the exact same phone?-screenshot_20190320-233628.jpg  
    03-21-2019 12:08 AM
    Hmm, very strange. I don't remember seeing that error when I was running Android Pie (9.x) on my Pixel 2 XL; I only noticed it once I installed the Android Q Beta. Of course it may be because I generally only install currently supported apps on my phone. In any case I can't explain the behavior - just for the heck of it I installed it on my Pixel 2 XL running the Android Q Beta and I did receive that error but the app seems to run in portrait orientation as you expect.

Have you checked your Display settings? Perhaps if you turn off the auto rotation option that'll force it to run the way you want. Settings -> Display -> Advanced -> disable 'Auto-rotate screen'
    03-21-2019 12:42 AM