Wireless charging stand

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Everyone wanted wireless charging. I loved it on my Nexus5 and was sad when they got rid of it on later generations. However, you cant have a metal back if you want wireless charging.

Theres the rub. You can either have glass or plastic. How many people would shell out $1k for a phone with a plastic back and still consider it "premium". The nicest phone I ever held with a solid plastic frame was an HTC One(the original). That was solid feeling as hell. However, would I pay a grand for a phone like that? Nope. So, in order to have the wireless charging, we need the glass back.
I completely agree.. when the pixel 2 phones didn't have wireless charging customers were forgivable but they were still pissed off at Google. If the Pixel 3s did not have wireless charging, most people probably wouldn't buy them. Reality of the situation is is the fact that you just have to be super careful and safe with the phone.. Especially the fast wireless charging.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Everyone wanted wireless charging. I loved it on my Nexus5 and was sad when they got rid of it on later generations. However, you cant have a metal back if you want wireless charging.

Theres the rub. You can either have glass or plastic. How many people would shell out $1k for a phone with a plastic back and still consider it "premium". The nicest phone I ever held with a solid plastic frame was an HTC One(the original). That was solid feeling as hell. However, would I pay a grand for a phone like that? Nope. So, in order to have the wireless charging, we need the glass back.

Shelling out a thousand dollars doesnt change for me because a phone feels premium. Besides, there are other materials like ceramic.

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Shelling out a thousand dollars doesnt change for me because a phone feels premium. Besides, there are other materials like ceramic.

I couldnt imagine the cost jump if the phone incorporated ceramic. Id gladly think it was worth a grand if they finally used sapphire glass.

mrpackerguy

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
I use a $16.00 Seneo (cheap chinese) 4.5 star rated charging stand from Amazon that works great for me. It doesn't fast charge even though it says it does on the stand itself, but it charges fast enough while I'm at work and I can top off my Pixel before going home for the night.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
all righty, so out of curiosity, how many pixel 3 owners actually bought the pixel charging stand for quick wireless charging? See, for me I have my old Samsung quick charger but it's not pixel 3 compatible quick charging so either deal with slow wireless charging which I have been for the past 2 weeks or I use though wired charger that came in the box. Which I am using right now. And I can tell it's a quicker faster charge than the slow regular charge and my Samsung wireless charger. I'm not spending 80 bucks for wireless charger I'm trying to search on eBay for the lowest price, but haven't really been too successful unfortunately.

Pixel 3 only fast charges wirelessly with the pixel stand , i bought 2 of them under 70.00 when they had the deals plus my 50.00 coupon from Google.
You can wireless charge with Samsung fast charger but wont be be fast like the pixel stand.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Pixel 3 only fast charges wirelessly with the pixel stand , i bought 2 of them under 70.00 when they had the deals plus my 50.00 coupon from Google.
You can wireless charge with Samsung fast charger but wont be be fast like the pixel stand.
Oh yeah I know that. I'm also giving my old Samsung fast charger to a co-worker in the future, besides I like to quick charge feature of the wired and the pixel stand charging option. I'll just have to wait for a good deal from Google or from some other store to come about.

As a side note, it's great that the 3XL has wonderful wonderful batteries endurance. I get a day and a half of juice the way I use it including charging it via Android Auto in my car!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Oh yeah I know that. I'm also giving my old Samsung fast charger to a co-worker in the future, besides I like to quick charge feature of the wired and the pixel stand charging option. I'll just have to wait for a good deal from Google or from some other store to come about.

As a side note, it's great that the 3XL has wonderful wonderful batteries endurance. I get a day and a half of juice the way I use it including charging it via Android Auto in my car!

I agree I get the same

sn0warmy

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
When I ordered my Pixel 3 XL from Google back in November, I bit the bullet and ordered two wireless pixel stands for it. One for my nightstand and one for my office.

I've since switched to the Galaxy S10 (First non-Pixel/Nexus phone in 6 years). The Pixel 3 XL is sold but the Pixel stands still do the trick for the S10. Only downside is no fast charging, but that hasn't effected my usage.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Well well good for you. Honestly though, for the amount of times I'll actually charge my pixel 3 XL, the wire charger is nice and only because I like the fast quick charging. Having the charging stand is nice I'll have to keep it in consideration for the future.

John Caputo1

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
When I ordered my Pixel 3 XL from Google back in November, I bit the bullet and ordered two wireless pixel stands for it. One for my nightstand and one for my office.

I've since switched to the Galaxy S10 (First non-Pixel/Nexus phone in 6 years). The Pixel 3 XL is sold but the Pixel stands still do the trick for the S10. Only downside is no fast charging, but that hasn't effected my usage.

Same here; I bought 2, office and home. I traded my 3 XL for an S10, and still using the stanks. I used it for my Galaxy Buds too. :)

Overall, I'd say the stands aren't worth it. I have no use for the BT connection to the phone, and nothing interesting to put on the display when in the stand, so basically any flat charger would work just as well for me.

Since I have them, as long as they work with my current phone, I'll keep using them, but I wouldn't recommend them.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Same here; I bought 2, office and home. I traded my 3 XL for an S10, and still using the stanks. I used it for my Galaxy Buds too. :)

Overall, I'd say the stands aren't worth it. I have no use for the BT connection to the phone, and nothing interesting to put on the display when in the stand, so basically any flat charger would work just as well for me.

Since I have them, as long as they work with my current phone, I'll keep using them, but I wouldn't recommend them.
Yeah I completely agree. I find it very hard to justify spending even 50 bucks on the pixel stand. Like I said, I will be giving a co-worker at work my old galaxy quick charge stand cuz I can't stand slow charging even though it takes all night long. And for the amount of time that I'll actually need to plug in my phone to the charger I can use the wire charger for now. My phone's always charging in the car off USB for Android Auto.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah I completely agree. I find it very hard to justify spending even 50 bucks on the pixel stand. Like I said, I will be giving a co-worker at work my old galaxy quick charge stand cuz I can't stand slow charging even though it takes all night long. And for the amount of time that I'll actually need to plug in my phone to the charger I can use the wire charger for now. My phone's always charging in the car off USB for Android Auto.

You get the Samsung fast charger that's universal with my other phones , but pixel fast charger wireless is only for pixel ..smh

Matt Aldrich

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
all righty, so out of curiosity, how many pixel 3 owners actually bought the pixel charging stand for quick wireless charging? See, for me I have my old Samsung quick charger but it's not pixel 3 compatible quick charging so either deal with slow wireless charging which I have been for the past 2 weeks or I use though wired charger that came in the box. Which I am using right now. And I can tell it's a quicker faster charge than the slow regular charge and my Samsung wireless charger. I'm not spending 80 bucks for wireless charger I'm trying to search on eBay for the lowest price, but haven't really been too successful unfortunately.

I ended up with 3, didn't pay full price for any of them though. Use the $50 from Google for pre-order. Then got another one from Best Buy on black Friday sale for $49.99. The 3rd I also got from Best Buy bundling products. Paid $59.99 for that one.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I ended up with 3, didn't pay full price for any of them though. Use the $50 from Google for pre-order. Then got another one from Best Buy on black Friday sale for $49.99. The 3rd I also got from Best Buy bundling products. Paid $59.99 for that one.
Wow,good for you.

baldypal

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
It's a tough drop in the bucket for sure. I talked both my mom and my mom-n-law into buying me a Pixel Stand for Christmas b/c i'd rather have it as a gift, than spend my own cash on it. especially two. but i felt i needed one for both at home (bedside table) and at work. i do really like it. if i spent my own money, i would look to ebay or craiglist for a cheaper price.

Mongoose40

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I bought mine on sale at Best Buy for $40. At $40 it's a steal for the wireless fast charging, a long USB c cable, and wall wart. $80 is too much though so I only got it when it was on sale. Luckily I found the same while looking for alternative charging pads from Anker. To buy the cable, plug, and pad 3rd party was about the same as the $40 OEM pad which does the true fast charging. I just wish I can figure out why sometimes it slow charges. I think temperature related as I only notice slow charging if my screen was on and I was using the phone before putting it on the pad

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21