I would like to buy Pixel 3 but I am afraid of its RAM management and battery life

anon(8911628)

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
Hello people, iPhone 8 user here. I am going to change my daily smartphone and Pixel 3 looks perfect to me. I see no reason why should I pay extra for X or Xs so I was thinking hard about Android device. In this case I went to my local market to "touch" Pixel 3 and I felt in love with it. The things I like are:

- minimalistic and nice build quality,
- great OLED display,
- its camera makes me crazy, dual-selfie cameras too!
- stereo sound,
- pure Android,

I have almost decided to buy it but I went back home to read more about this phone. Then I saw a lot of negative feedback about its RAM management and battery life. Many people say that Pixel 3 has a problem to keep some apps in RAM. Is it true?
I am not a power user, I don't play. I use only social apps and web browser, that's all but I would not like to see some basic app under refreshing.

The second negative I have read about is battery life. I have watched a few reviews on YouTube and some people were compaing about this. Some of them said that the SoT of Pixel 3 is about 2-4 hours. Woah, really?

BUT

Many of those reviews were made after Pixel launch, so I hope that Google has fixed many issues in this smartphone. Please guys, I need your feedback.

Michael Detwiler

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Hello people, iPhone 8 user here. I am going to change my daily smartphone and Pixel 3 looks perfect to me. I see no reason why should I pay extra for X or Xs so I was thinking hard about Android device. In this case I went to my local market to "touch" Pixel 3 and I felt in love with it. The things I like are:

- great OLED display,
- stereo sound,
- pure Android,

I have almost decided to buy it but I went back home to read more about this phone. Then I saw a lot of negative feedback about its RAM management and battery life. Many people say that Pixel 3 has a problem to keep some apps in RAM. Is it true?
I am not a power user, I don't play. I use only social apps and web browser, that's all but I would not like to see some basic app under refreshing.

The second negative I have read about is battery life. I have watched a few reviews on YouTube and some people were compaing about this. Some of them said that the SoT of Pixel 3 is about 2-4 hours. Woah, really?

BUT

Many of those reviews were made after Pixel launch, so I hope that Google has fixed many issues in this smartphone. Please guys, I need your feedback.
Battery life is not an issue. I have P2XL. Also, I love how it handles RAM management. My 1 and 1/2 year old device is still very fast. The 3 is an improvement. Buy the XL version.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
It seems to only have a problem because it has 4GB RAM and the competition has 6GB or 8GB, like the OP6 or Note 9. So it doesn't really have a problem. It just has less RAM in the first place so it will keep less apps open.

qtrxist

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
It is like iPhones where often times bashed with low ram but apps are really well managed. My P3 is quite fast moving from app to app. Battery is good. Social media, emails, calls, spotify, leaves me 20% by bedtime.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
4GB of RAM may not be much compared to the monstrous 6GB/8GB/10GB/12GB of new flagships but it will be just fine unless you are a power user who likes to have a dozen apps open and running/syncing in the background in my experience. The iPhone X only had 3GB of RAM and still managed to blitz most/all Android phones in speed.

anon(8911628)

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
Battery life is not an issue. I have P2XL. Also, I love how it handles RAM management. My 1 and 1/2 year old device is still very fast. The 3 is an improvement. Buy the XL version.
I have heard that Pixel 2 still rock and sometimes works ever better than Pixel 3 when it comes to keep something in RAM what is really weird to me.

Buy the XL version.
No, thank you. Its size is a little big to me.

It seems to only have a problem because it has 4GB RAM and the competition has 6GB or 8GB, like the OP6 or Note 9. So it doesn't really have a problem. It just has less RAM in the first place so it will keep less apps open.
Yes I know it. More RAM does better job but people describe this memory as something insufficient for comfortable usage.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

- great OLED display,
- stereo sound,
- pure Android,

BUT

I dont think you would be disappointed in the pixel 3, the stuff you hearing are some that have issues, what about the ones are having great experience? just like any other device you'd buy from any manufacturer some will have issues others wont . If you like the pixel 3 I say go for it .

robinhelenehebert

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
After 7 months I'm still happy with mine. I have this and an iPhone XR and both have their strengths and quirks. The Pixel is what I favor though. I have the 3XL.

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
at this point I'd just wait for the pixel 4. from early leaks it seems Google is going to fix some of the hardware decisions they made in the past.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
A below-average battery on the Pixel 3 (when you have phones with 3300+ mAh capacity, sub 3000 mAh batteries seem small) may just have to be something that you have to live with (no phone is perfect). Keep in mind the efficient processor, cleaner software and smaller screen compared to other flagships though...

I suspect many users would get the Pixel 3 XL for the better battery life but it may be too big, expensive or they might not like the design (the massive notch).

As for the RAM @kaaleth, 4 GB will be more than enough if you’re not a power user.

Hope that helps ;)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Even if you are somewhat of a power user, 4GB is enough for now. How much RAM does an app tale? MBs? Even 100MBs? That leaves space for about 20 apps in RAM at once. I regularly have 3 apps running at once in a 2, and have no problem. Of course if you're running PUBG, you need 2GB just for that. But for most of the apps we usually run, 4GB is plenty.

As for the battery, true, 2915mAh is a bit small, which is why I carry a small (7000mAh) power pack in my pocket if I may be out without power for a while (the 2 has a 2700mAh battery, making it worse).

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
If you're apprehensive about any device in any way... Don't get it, flat out. Too much anxiety with waiting and looking for any little issue/problem...

This coming from a HUGE Pixel fan too...

Michael Detwiler

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I have heard that Pixel 2 still rock and sometimes works ever better than Pixel 3 when it comes to keep something in RAM what is really weird to me.

No, thank you. Its size is a little big to me.

Yes I know it. More RAM does better job but people describe this memory as something insufficient for comfortable usage.
I thought the 2 XL was too big for me at first but you do get used to it.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site

Nah. Some reviewers are just spoiled by the big RAM phones where they open something 2 hours ago and they come back to it and it doesn't need to reload and just picks up where they left off. I'm using an S9 with 4GB RAM as my daily driver and it's fine.

chrispmoto

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
I have had absolutely zero issues with my Pixel 3XL and I am sure you will be fine.
The battery may not be the best, but I have yet to have had it die during the day.
I do have a charger handy tho pretty much in all my frequently used places.

Byrese

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
I just got the Pixel 3. In so many ways it's Google's answer to the iPhone. Pure Android, great camera, fast storage updates. The only other Google phone I had was a Nexus 6P. This is definitely an improvement. What highly recommend.

superprime

Mar 18, 2019
Visit site
at this point I'd just wait for the pixel 4. from early leaks it seems Google is going to fix some of the hardware decisions they made in the past.
I agree with this. If the pixel 4 leaks are true, the new phones may come out with 6gb RAM and who knows what other hardware improvements.

anon(8911628)

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for your answers. You guys just gave me a lot of to think. :) 4GB RAM should be fine for social apps and some basic operations, I'm not a power user.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm happy with my Pixel 4--edit: Pixel 3--but then I don't play video games, don't stare obsessively at social media, and don't watch movies or music videos on my phone. Between text messaging, checking Google Maps, and taking a lot of photos I have 1 to 2 hours of screen time a day.

Last edited:

Michael Detwiler

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm happy with my Pixel 4 but then I don't play video games, don't stare obsessively at social media, and don't watch movies or music videos on my phone. Between text messaging, checking Google Maps, and taking a lot of photos I have 1 to 2 hours of screen time a day.
Wow, you already have a 4?