Pixel 3 doesn't reconnect automatically after dropping mobile network signal

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

128 GB, factory unlocked Pixel 3.

Several times a day I walk through different places where mobile network is extremely poor or null (elevators, underground floors, underground parking spaces).
As expected, my phone drops mobile network signal ("Emergency Calls Only" message displayed at upper left corner).

However, after I leave these places my Pixel 3 won't reconnect automatically to the mobile network (even though I'm already in a place with full network coverage). Time doesn't seem to be an issue, half an hour can go by and the phone will be stuck in "Emergency Calls Only" mode.

Only after toggling airplane mode or rebooting my phone does it reconnect to the mobile network.

Is there any fix for this? Not sure yet if it's a carrier or a phone issue...

Thanks in advance,
Ricardo

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Several times a day I walk through different places where mobile network is extremely poor or null (elevators, underground floors, underground parking spaces).
As expected, my phone drops mobile network signal ("Emergency Calls Only" message displayed at upper left corner).

However, after I leave these places my Pixel 3 won't reconnect automatically to the mobile network (even though I'm already in a place with full network coverage). Time doesn't seem to be an issue, half an hour can go by and the phone will be stuck in "Emergency Calls Only" mode.

Only after toggling airplane mode or rebooting my phone does it reconnect to the mobile network.

Thanks in advance,
Ricardo

Sounds like a carrier issue, which carrier you on ?

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

Thanks in advance,
Ricardo

Mine does the same thing and always has. There are times that it will.conmect but I'd say maybe only 10% or less of the times.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like a carrier issue, which carrier you on ?

It doesn't seem like it. My pixel 1 (same exact SIM card, just switched it over to p3) never did that. Also my Nexus 5 doesn't nor does my wife's or son's phones. All on At&t on the same plan. This phone has a little more trouble reconnecting it seems.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It doesn't seem like it. My pixel 1 (same exact SIM card, just switched it over to p3) never did that. Also my Nexus 5 doesn't nor does my wife's or son's phones. All on At&t on the same plan. This phone has a little more trouble reconnecting it seems.
If it shows emergency instead the carrier sign that's most likely a carrier problem

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
If it shows emergency instead the carrier sign that's most likely a carrier problem

Only the pixel 3 does it out of 8 or so phones we have or have had on the same network. So I guess something in the network isn't playing nice with the p3 if it is network related?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Only the pixel 3 does it out of 8 or so phones we have or have had on the same network. So I guess something in the network isn't playing nice with the p3 if it is network related?
Interesting, my pixel 3xl never ran into that issue using Tmobile or Att , network would come from the carrier as it's not wifi having the issue . Which carrier you use?

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
So you seen this in areas that had good coverage?

No It's only when the phone loses reception completely and the bars go hollow to emergency calls only. Like for example going through a tunnel. There's no reception for a minute or so. Every other phone reconnects within 10 seconds or so after exiting the tunnel, but the p3 will just stay stuck with the hollow bars and emergency calls only until you do something to make it "wake up" , like toggle airplane mode or try to make a call (after a few failed attempts saying mobile network not available) it will re connect. Otherwise it will stay without network connection for who knows how long.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
It's like it's not scanning frequently enough for the mobile network whereas other phones are, thus needlessly being without reception.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Not a big deal to me as I almost never completely lose reception (maybe 2-4 times a year), just something I have noticed when it does happen.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I just really noticed it these past 2 months and had a chance to test my theory when I had to go to NYC 2 times and go through the tunnel on the train. Both times only the p3 won't reconnect on its own until coaxed to do so.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I just really noticed it these past 2 months and had a chance to test my theory when I had to go to NYC 2 times and go through the tunnel on the train. Both times only the p3 won't reconnect on its own until coaxed to do so.
Yeah the tunnel their you lose reception briefly

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Hmm.. Sprint customers are having issues that when the phone drops to 3G, it won't automatically reconnect to LTE. Until airplane toggle, or reset. Mine included.....