Turning Digital Wellbeing Off

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone revoked access to their digital well-being?

I'm on day two and my phone seems to be handling ram way better than it has before.. It's also even smoother .. Also my battery seems to be more stable now.. I would like to know if anyone has done this and if they have, what type of benefits have they achieved.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site

I'm on day two and my phone seems to be handling ram way better than it has before.. It's also even smoother .. Also my battery seems to be more stable now.. I would like to know if anyone has done this and if they have, what type of benefits have they achieved.
Interesting I want to try that. Are you on Android Q or P? Also how are you revoking access to digital well-being?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Interesting idea. I believe Jeremiah is talking about Usage Access. Go to Settings>Apps>Special App Access>Usage Access​, and turn off Digital Wellbeing's usage access there.
@Jeremiah Bonds, I'll give it a try. I've never found any use for Digital Wellbeing anyway!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

I've done this since day 1, but didn't notice anything different

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
There was a Reddit thread/article on r/Android and r/GooglePixel saying that turning off usage access for digital well being resolves all stuttering and lag that plagues the Pixel 3.
I turned off mine couple of days back after seeing that and doing fine here. I didn't have much issues to begin with other than the occasional lag in certain apps suddenly. I'll see how this goes.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
But you have a 2 XL, right? I don't think the 2 series had an issue with RAM.

Yeah both 2xl and 3xl
I never experience Ram issues on the 2xl, on 3xl was not able to load camera and you tube same time in beginning but was address with updates . But I never used digital well being and since the pixel 3xl we had post about it early on I said never used and disabled it .

https://forums.androidcentral.com/g...935324-digital-wellbeing-who-really-care.html

https://forums.androidcentral.com/google-pixel-3-pixel-3-xl/920080-memory-issues.html

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Disabled it the 2nd day i got my Pixel 3 @ launch and my device has always run great. I dont have any battery issues but im a low-medium user so its possible my usability is low...my battery could go two days. I honestly saw no benefits of using DWB, if anything its a processor hog for the benefit of Googles benefit to beta test or learn about use behaviors. Meh, disable it and be happy you did.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Disabled it the 2nd day i got my Pixel 3 @ launch and my device has always run great. I dont have any battery issues but im a low-medium user so its possible my usability is low...my battery could go two days. I honestly saw no benefits of using DWB, if anything its a processor hog for the benefit of Googles benefit to beta test or learn about use behaviors. Meh, disable it and be happy you did.
Speaking of camera since Android Q beta 3 even beta 2 but more beta 3 the camera is super fast and being reliable. There was also an update today for timelapse and works great.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Interesting idea. I believe Jeremiah is talking about Usage Access. Go to Settings>Apps>Special App Access>Usage Access​, and turn off Digital Wellbeing's usage access there.
@Jeremiah Bonds, I'll give it a try. I've never found any use for Digital Wellbeing anyway!
Well, never had a problem with my phone's memory on the phone itself since Android keep better came out, just turned off you suggest to visual bang I'm going to continue testing a report back if I see any other civil changes or differences. Now, it's far as my using digital thing it's nice to unwind at the end of the night but if that means performance takes a hit then screw it.

well, slight update. Just turned digital wellbeing off and tried l my Android Auto again and still crashing but I already submitted another second bus log to Google developers so hopefully they fix it ASAP! I'll be on the lookout to see if it see any other changes, or improvements.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Speaking of camera since Android Q beta 3 even beta 2 but more beta 3 the camera is super fast and being reliable. There was also an update today for timelapse and works great.

Good to hear, i never had an issue with the camera loading a few split seconds longer than it should but any improvement is welcome. I havent beta tested Android pre-release since Android 7 (when 6 was out) and dont have plans to, but looking forward to Q when it officially releases.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes, so so far, in beta 3, I've noticed that overall performance as much smoother, switching between applications between the most two or three reason applications is just one swipe away, and the sharing menu opens up a lot faster now.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Good to hear, i never had an issue with the camera loading a few split seconds longer than it should but any improvement is welcome. I havent beta tested Android pre-release since Android 7 (when 6 was out) and dont have plans to, but looking forward to Q when it officially releases.
The main camera issue for me wasn't the launching of the camera yeah it was slower than now but what sucked was when I would got snap a picture there would be like a 2-3 sec delay at times. Same for recording video it would lag for a second or so making the first 2 secs if the video look choppy and losing crazy frame rate for that split second. So I'd always edit the video and cut out the first 2 seconds to remove that initial lag, however that and also apps not using seem to be working great at the moment.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
From what I've heard, performance issues on pixel 3. I think it's more of a pie thing though.

Im on Pie and have had DWB disabled since launch, curious to know what problems there would be. If anything i am betting it improved my performance rather than hampering it. If you come across examples id be curious to check on my side thanks.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Im on Pie and have had DWB disabled since launch, curious to know what problems there would be. If anything i am betting it improved my performance rather than hampering it. If you come across examples id be curious to check on my side thanks.
I just saw some Reddit posts and other people on this form saying that they had it on and then turned it off when they were on pie and it improved their performance. I turn mine back on ..I'm on Q beta 3.