New gestures system & Android Q beta 3

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm on beta 3 of Android Q and so far I'm liking the new gestures system for navigating. It took me a few hours to get used to. At first it was a little confusing but like anything else with practice it gets easier. Now that I sort of got used to it I'm enjoying it. It does feel very similar to iOS when it comes to gestures which is a good thing because apples gesture system is good.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I have to completely agree. when I flashed and installed beta 3 last night like I said, it took a little over an hour which was shockingly long but the new navigation gestures I need you for it is they making iOS a lot but it feels natural and into it. Voice typing seems so much faster, smoother, more intuitive as well. I'm not sure if everyone is aware of this yet, but I was really on Android police.com that in developer settings Google is allowing users to now force a dark mode for every element of the UI. If you going to developer settings and search override, there's an override for dark mode which looks pretty cool. The article states that on some applications it looks broken but for the most part it's pretty good. Also, applications seemed to run a lot smoother.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I have to completely agree. when I flashed and installed beta 3 last night like I said, it took a little over an hour which was shockingly long but the new navigation gestures I need you for it is they making iOS a lot but it feels natural and into it. Voice typing seems so much faster, smoother, more intuitive as well. I'm not sure if everyone is aware of this yet, but I was really on Android police.com that in developer settings Google is allowing users to now force a dark mode for every element of the UI. If you going to developer settings and search override, there's an override for dark mode which looks pretty cool. The article states that on some applications it looks broken but for the most part it's pretty good. Also, applications seemed to run a lot smoother.
Yeah this is awesome I have dark mode turned in as well. Real blacks love it.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah this is awesome I have dark mode turned in as well. Real blacks love it.
Oh snap I had the regular dark mode enabled which was awesome didn't realize there was one that would force it on every app including third party apps. Thanks for the heads up.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Oh snap I had the regular dark mode enabled which was awesome didn't realize there was one that would force it on every app including third party apps. Thanks for the heads up.
Yes I didn't realize that either until I read Android police.com like I said. Especially pretty sweet forces dark mode on everything!

Mr MnmlEngr

May 7, 2019
Visit site
Asked this in a different thread, but I'm an engineer so pardon for wanting more data points...lol

What's your guys' assessment of the new gestures in conjunction with accessing the hamburger button? How does the UI handle it when you're trying to do one or the other?
Really looking forward to see a complete gestures solution from Google.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
New gestures system & Android Q beta 3

Okay, one other area of beta 3 Android Q that finally got fixed, are visual voicemail notifications. Now, I don't get many visual voicemails at all, however, when you get a voicemail Android Q beta 3 will now alert and notify you that you have a voicemail finally!

Last edited:

Mr MnmlEngr

May 7, 2019
Visit site
Re: New gestures system & Android Q beta 3

Okay, one other area of beta 3 Android Q that finally got fixed, are visual voicemail notifications. Now, I don't get many visual voicemails at all, however, when you get a voicemail Android Q beta 3 will now alert and notify you that you have a voicemail finally!

Quick aside, what VVM are you using? I've used Google Voice strictly as a VM app and have never missed a VM.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Quick aside, what VVM are you using? I've used Google Voice strictly as a VM app and have never missed a VM.
I just use the regular visual voicemail through Google phone dialer. I've been had a Google voice account in years.

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site

I just use the regular visual voicemail through Google phone dialer. I've been had a Google voice account in years.

I dont see VVM in Google Dialer. I think that might be carrier dependent(Im on ATT). I have been using Google Voice for years because of this oem absence.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site

I dont see VVM in Google Dialer. I think that might be carrier dependent(Im on ATT). I have been using Google Voice for years because of this oem absence.
I'm on Google Fi and I have it. Screenshot_20190509-142211.jpg

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
With my new Pixel 3 beta is crashing most of my apps I use daily like PayPal,smart news,TD Bank etc need to go back to 9 just to have a funictional device. Anyone else having same issues?

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
With my new Pixel 3 beta is crashing most of my apps I use daily like PayPal,smart news,TD Bank etc need to go back to 9 just to have a funictional device. Anyone else having same issues?
I'm not having any crash issues with the apps I use.

MaxR_A

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
BlackBerry 10 had a great flow to its gesture-based OS. Google should look to that so-called 'inferior' OS for inspiration to fix their own haphazard gesture-based approach in Android Q. Here's to hoping that BlackBerry will introduce a BB10 style launcher for Android Q - that is if they can actually continue to offer devices through their partners in the future.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site

Update

After rebooting my 3 a few times it seems to be working much better now problem solved.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I really like what I'm seeing with Q. Finally, a gesture system that makes sense. And more importantly, the options for users to pick their own preference. This is what Android is about: choice.

Also appreciate them finally bringing a native dark theme. The rest of Q looks pretty good, too.

Hopefully the hardware matches up when the Pixel 4 lands. Besides the necessary specs (RAM, dual cameras on the back), I'm really hoping for a new and better design language overall.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae