I Was Wrong, nobody can do what Google does.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Google has done a great job with their devices and accessories without a doubt. I am a long time smartphone user and use both android and apple, I just picked up the pixel 3 and love it. I carry the pixel and a iPad mini so I have the best of both worlds.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yep you're right it's all about the experience. Google plays is a huge game with software experience.now, the only thing that I really wish Google didn't do was make the pixel stand so expensive! Otherwise I would pick one up. But plugging my phone into a fast charger is not a big deal but it's still nice to have one. I'm not spending 80 bucks on a charger though. Even on eBay that cheapest I found one is $45 which is still a little too expensive considering the amount of time I actually spend charging my phone.

Michael Detwiler

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
You're right, I was an HTC man from Incredible to M8 to 10 (with a pitstop or two with Moto) and didn't see the big deal about Pixel until selling my 10 for the P2XL. Wife has had Samsung. Nothing compares to Pixel. Nothing. (Wife even switched to P2XL)...family always wants to use our devices for pictures because it's just better than their iDevices.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yep yep absolutely correct once again. no other phones camera hardware and software can compare to the pixels. Google knows that! It's one of their bread and butter for the company. I can take a picture of anything and with HDR plus and hands mode turned on all the time, that picture will come out looking great. any silent picture on the pixel looks amazing. And I really don't take video with my phone all that much.The only thing that my older Nexus 6P didn't have that Samsung Galaxy phones had at that time was automatic brightness. So basically what I always did was had to manually remember to adjust the brightness slider from dim to bright depending on where I was indoors or outdoors. Thankfully Google got the hint and created adaptive brightness , and adaptive battery! The big hoopla about Google phones is that the software works with users versus against users or not in users favor... Unfortunately, that's all I would have bought down to. The pixel phone is for everyone. It was never meant to be a niche phone it just became one because of marketing from Samsung from their Galaxy phones on their Galaxy note line of phones. And also to compete against Apple. now, of course, you have Google's marketing of the pixel line for premium phones and then the pixel 3A series for the affordable version of the phone. For the record though, I really do believe that if more and more customers really did use a pixel phone, they would absolutely love it. Now, whether or not that actually happens is another story but you get my point. on a separate point, the one thing I really find annoying fresh came back other Android phones especially Galaxy phones as the fact that I have two different photo apps. Google photos and then the manufacturer's own photo application. And one plus does this too. again, not a streamlined user-friendly experience in my opinion. Because which photo application does the user actually use, without being taught?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I think it's just hoax constructed to keep these giants out of the western market but hey, everybody has their own opinions. No company is more guilty of spying than Google. At this point, honestly, I think we should just let go of this argument because nobody is safe. But that's another debate.

I think MiUi is really amazing. I've used it on their budget as well as high end phones and it's blazing blazing blazing fast, smooth and responsive. Also, it's asthetically uniform all around and I prefer the look more than OneUi. There's that. Their hardware is really beautiful too. I live in the UK so Huawei and Xiaomi are really apparent here. App

Mmmm..... Spying means they do it and you don't know. Google literally tells you up front "We will do (X), (Y), and (Z) if you turn these things on. If you don't want this then turn it off"

Unfortunately, brand value counts in the west. Name matters. Just like Apple Google and Samsung aren't trusted in the east, Xiaomi and Huawei aren't trusted here. What Apple Samsung and Google can learn from these brands, however, (in addition to the amazing reviews Pixel 3a has gotten) the budget and mid-range market is still the place to be. Competition in this space will help bring down the prices and force manufacturers to make better products for that segment.

I simply don't trust them for things that have happened and been discovered. Simple as that. Just like I don't trust OnePlus after they had an "oops" on sending clipboard data to China. That makes me not trust it as much.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yep yep absolutely correct once again. no other phones camera hardware and software can compare to the pixels. Google knows that! It's one of their bread and butter for the company. I can take a picture of anything and with HDR plus and hands mode turned on all the time, that picture will come out looking great. any silent picture on the pixel looks amazing. And I really don't take video with my phone all that much.The only thing that my older Nexus 6P didn't have that Samsung Galaxy phones had at that time was automatic brightness. So basically what I always did was had to manually remember to adjust the brightness slider from dim to bright depending on where I was indoors or outdoors. Thankfully Google got the hint and created adaptive brightness , and adaptive battery! The big hoopla about Google phones is that the software works with users versus against users or not in users favor... Unfortunately, that's all I would have bought down to. The pixel phone is for everyone. It was never meant to be a niche phone it just became one because of marketing from Samsung from their Galaxy phones on their Galaxy note line of phones. And also to compete against Apple. now, of course, you have Google's marketing of the pixel line for premium phones and then the pixel 3A series for the affordable version of the phone. For the record though, I really do believe that if more and more customers really did use a pixel phone, they would absolutely love it. Now, whether or not that actually happens is another story but you get my point. on a separate point, the one thing I really find annoying fresh came back other Android phones especially Galaxy phones as the fact that I have two different photo apps. Google photos and then the manufacturer's own photo application. And one plus does this too. again, not a streamlined user-friendly experience in my opinion. Because which photo application does the user actually use, without being taught?

As someone who is currently running the Pixel 3XL side by side with Samsung S10, I have to admit that's it hard for me to pick one over the other. This is my first Samsung smart device so I'm glad it's not hindered by TouchWiz and it's the only reason I wouldn't look at Samsung in the past.

As far as the camera goes I have to give the edge to the Pixel....it's just incredible. Their digital zoom is really quite good. Just imagine if they coupled that software with a telephoto lens. I don't see that coming to the 4 but I believe it will have a wide angle lens. Can't wait.... I've been a fan of wide-angle since the LG G5. Ironically people used to make fun of the LG and called it a gimmick but now everybody seems to have one. Though I positively prefer the pixel camera, the Samsung is no slouch despite some of the complaints you read about. The video/audio recording is better on the Samsung. For me the pixel is adequate but I don't do a lot of video as I'm more of a picture taker. I would love to see pixel bump up their game though. I have trouble with the fact that they can crank out such great photos while providing a mediocre video experience.

I'm planning a trip to Disney at the end of July and I'm sort of torn as to which camera to use. The Samsung it's just more versatile with its wide and telephoto additions. The Pixel takes pictures more to my liking. In daylight it probably won't matter as much except in situations where HDR+ makes a big difference. I did purchase a Moment lens for Pixel because I had a $100 Google Store credit expiring and couldn't think of anything else to buy. It's drawback is that it's a bit heavy and makes the phone top heavy and harder pocket. It also reduces the telephoto range. I'll probably just end up using both phones at Disney I'm not sure about the Moment lens.

Both phones run pretty smoothly. I don't test them side by side to nitpick which one loads faster because to me fractions of a second are meaningless. The 4GB of RAM on the Pixel have been more than adequate and it keeps up with Samsung's 8GB except for the amount of apps running in the background. Guess what....I don't need apps I opened yesterday or earlier in the day. That's not to say that 8GB isn't an advantage, I just feel that Google does pretty good with it's memory management. I do think they will up their game with the Pixel 4.

For electronic payments, hands down the Samsung wins. I can survive without MST but I really see the benefits now. I can survive without it because I usually carry my credit cards and Google pay does work a lot of places but being able to use it with any any terminal is fantastic. It's funny when you go to use it in a place that only takes Apple pay and the cashier notices that you have a Samsung and they tell you we only take Apple Pay. It's especially hysterical when you go somewhere that doesn't take any form of smart device payment and you go to use it. A few weeks ago I went to use it in the post office and the agent started to tell me how we don't take that here. When it worked those agents in the office looks very interested in it so I explained to them how it worked. Every post office in New York has the same terminals I don't know about the rest of the country. Probably not that critical for them to upgrade and their terminals caps were a lot of other information so it may take them a while to get up to speed.

For timely updates and the ability try beta versions of future operating systems Google can't be beat. I realize that's not important to everyone but it's one of the things that keeps me attached to Pixel.

I do like some of the things Samsung has done with the UI like the edge panel. I also liked the gestures better on the Samsung but that was prior to Android Q beta and it looks like Google must have been listening because that's one of the things many were unhappy with. I was okay with them the way they currently are P but I definitely see the improvement. it was a real pain switching back and forth between phones before because they were completely different. I would often forget which phone I was on and swiped the wrong way.

I don't like a lot of the redundant apps that Samsung puts out but since they're optional it's no big deal. I tend to go with the Google versions of most of the duplicate apps.

If every manufacturer used Google messages instead of trying to reinvent the wheel maybe we'd be miles closer to getting something like RCS working across the board. Google photos is another example of an app that doesn't need duplicity by the manufacturer.

Then there's Bixby....not sure why it exists. Google Assistant is just so much better for me and the squeeze to activate is just so great it feels natural as opposed to having to hit a button. Another example of where it's hard to get used to switching phones.

I also use an iPhone for work and the iOS experience isn't bad, Android just feels much better to me. I do use it for things like FaceTime with family but other than that or work email and phone calls I don't pick it up much.

Is the end I still favor the Pixel, but it's also hard for me to put down the Samsung. At the moment it's on my primary line so I'm using it more. Sort of screwed myself trying the Samsung because I will probably want the Pixel 4 but I do like using Samsung Pay. Between the two phones I really don't need to upgrade but if the Pixel 4 adds a wide-angle camera I'm going to be very tempted. Someone help me stop this madness!

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes I completely agree with you. Samsung makes very very good cameras. There's no denying that. The fact that the pixel camera can still reign Superior against the brand new Samsung S10 phones plus the new 10S Max iPhone and the new OnePlus 7 pro phone really does say something about Google superior software image processing. every single time I show someone a picture that taken from vacation, or just an everyday picture from my phone, they're astonished. Honestly, most of the pictures I've taken look like paintings.

it's interesting, but I also do agree with your thoughts of the video and the pixel 3. And that's one of the running critiques that everyone has of the pixel 3s. It takes the best still images in the world, but it's video capability is okay best. Thankfully, I don't need to take you video pretty much at all. I don't need that I don't rely on that I'm not a videographer etc.

Yes, the phone having four gigs of RAM is more than sufficient because of such great memory optimization and softeroptimization of the phone. And that's my point Samsung's interface TouchWiz or UX requires more resources. That's plain and simple. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I agree with you, having more ram is not a bad thing, but you don't necessarily need it! I've never had an application crash on me when I was needing to use it, or force stop on me or anything like that. same thing with the battery, my battery enduring is absolutely fine put away I use my phone. These newer phones with the bigger screens and those 5G radios inside of them do require a larger milliamp hour battery, but even the S10 plus has a 4000 mAh battery. Is that needed? I'm not so sure. And customers will still complain and wine about battery usage.

Pixels in general are very simple, easy to use phones. I don't see why you need to have a manufacturer specific photos application and note taking application versus the Google counterpart which every Android phone comes with standard. It's confusing for the user.

Last edited by a moderator:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
As someone who is currently running the Pixel 3XL side by side with Samsung S10, I have to admit that's it hard for me to pick one over the other. This is my first Samsung smart device so I'm glad it's not hindered by TouchWiz and it's the only reason I wouldn't look at Samsung in the past.

As far as the camera goes I have to give the edge to the Pixel....it's just incredible. Their digital zoom is really quite good. Just imagine if they coupled that software with a telephoto lens. I don't see that coming to the 4 but I believe it will have a wide angle lens. Can't wait.... I've been a fan of wide-angle since the LG G5. Ironically people used to make fun of the LG and called it a gimmick but now everybody seems to have one. Though I positively prefer the pixel camera, the Samsung is no slouch despite some of the complaints you read about. The video/audio recording is better on the Samsung. For me the pixel is adequate but I don't do a lot of video as I'm more of a picture taker. I would love to see pixel bump up their game though. I have trouble with the fact that they can crank out such great photos while providing a mediocre video experience.

I'm planning a trip to Disney at the end of July and I'm sort of torn as to which camera to use. The Samsung it's just more versatile with its wide and telephoto additions. The Pixel takes pictures more to my liking. In daylight it probably won't matter as much except in situations where HDR+ makes a big difference. I did purchase a Moment lens for Pixel because I had a $100 Google Store credit expiring and couldn't think of anything else to buy. It's drawback is that it's a bit heavy and makes the phone top heavy and harder pocket. It also reduces the telephoto range. I'll probably just end up using both phones at Disney I'm not sure about the Moment lens.

Both phones run pretty smoothly. I don't test them side by side to nitpick which one loads faster because to me fractions of a second are meaningless. The 4GB of RAM on the Pixel have been more than adequate and it keeps up with Samsung's 8GB except for the amount of apps running in the background. Guess what....I don't need apps I opened yesterday or earlier in the day. That's not to say that 8GB isn't an advantage, I just feel that Google does pretty good with it's memory management. I do think they will up their game with the Pixel 4.

For electronic payments, hands down the Samsung wins. I can survive without MST but I really see the benefits now. I can survive without it because I usually carry my credit cards and Google pay does work a lot of places but being able to use it with any any terminal is fantastic. It's funny when you go to use it in a place that only takes Apple pay and the cashier notices that you have a Samsung and they tell you we only take Apple Pay. It's especially hysterical when you go somewhere that doesn't take any form of smart device payment and you go to use it. A few weeks ago I went to use it in the post office and the agent started to tell me how we don't take that here. When it worked those agents in the office looks very interested in it so I explained to them how it worked. Every post office in New York has the same terminals I don't know about the rest of the country. Probably not that critical for them to upgrade and their terminals caps were a lot of other information so it may take them a while to get up to speed.

For timely updates and the ability try beta versions of future operating systems Google can't be beat. I realize that's not important to everyone but it's one of the things that keeps me attached to Pixel.

I do like some of the things Samsung has done with the UI like the edge panel. I also liked the gestures better on the Samsung but that was prior to Android Q beta and it looks like Google must have been listening because that's one of the things many were unhappy with. I was okay with them the way they currently are P but I definitely see the improvement. it was a real pain switching back and forth between phones before because they were completely different. I would often forget which phone I was on and swiped the wrong way.

I don't like a lot of the redundant apps that Samsung puts out but since they're optional it's no big deal. I tend to go with the Google versions of most of the duplicate apps.

If every manufacturer used Google messages instead of trying to reinvent the wheel maybe we'd be miles closer to getting something like RCS working across the board. Google photos is another example of an app that doesn't need duplicity by the manufacturer.

Then there's Bixby....not sure why it exists. Google Assistant is just so much better for me and the squeeze to activate is just so great it feels natural as opposed to having to hit a button. Another example of where it's hard to get used to switching phones.

I also use an iPhone for work and the iOS experience isn't bad, Android just feels much better to me. I do use it for things like FaceTime with family but other than that or work email and phone calls I don't pick it up much.

Is the end I still favor the Pixel, but it's also hard for me to put down the Samsung. At the moment it's on my primary line so I'm using it more. Sort of screwed myself trying the Samsung because I will probably want the Pixel 4 but I do like using Samsung Pay. Between the two phones I really don't need to upgrade but if the Pixel 4 adds a wide-angle camera I'm going to be very tempted. Someone help me stop this madness!

Good write up..and by the way you'll get the pixel 4 😋

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
While I do see why many of us in the West have valid and reasonable concerns about Huawei 5G technology, I don’t see why many vehemently fight against Huawei and Xiaomi phones. Unless you’re a businessman, law, military or political figure, I don’t think that Huawei and Xiaomi have the capacity to or do spy on you via your phone...it would’ve been found out by now. What are they going to steal, your PUBG player account? ;)

Personally, I think that the Samsung Galaxy S series is usually best all-rounder Android flagship. You get great cameras, a relatively clean and intuitive UI (OneUI is more or less bloatware free), sharp curved edge AMOLED displays, modern designs and they have nice features such as IP68, fingerprint, Samsung Pass/Secure Folder, a headphone jack and expandable storage...as well as great performance.

If you want the best software experience and minimalist, quirky designs as well as an extremely useful and versatile camera then Google Pixel phones are for you. They might not have the latest designs or as many nice features as Samsung phones but the way apps and software easily work together is unparalleled. The single lens camera achieves more than what most companies can do with 2 or 3 lenses.

Xiaomi and Huawei phones are fantastic value and spec-wise, but where they fail for Westerners is in the software department...as they are tailored for the Asian market. But if you like iOS but don’t want an iPhone then EMUI will probably suit you.

Personally I don’t understand all the praise that Motorola gets for its phones, which in my humble opinion are nothing special and just look cheap. In the budget/mid-range department they’ve been overtaken for a while by HMD Nokia, which produces better phones which are superior in all aspects, including software (Android One).

As for other brands, LG is a bit of an overpriced dud due to software, Sony phones suffer from inferior cameras and value and OnePlus is generally the go-to for value flagships.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it's an East coast versus West coast thing for Huawei other Chinese manufacturer phones it's just an overall lotion that did not great companies to buy phones from number one number two there are some privacy constraints with them and number three their phones aren't much to write home about. I will still defend Lenovo Motorola because they still make great phones maybe not flagship phones anymore, but still very well built Android phones. Yeah, as far as I'm concerned, LG Android phones are pretty much dead. Samsung Galaxy phones are well around phones but again they're too gimmicky for me I can repeat that enough. Most of the features that Samsung puts forth, most consumers don't even know about, or don't give a crap about using. is Samsung's camera better than Pixel camera? Nope. They have a telephoto lens and it does take better video but that's about it.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
While I agree with OP, I understand why different users like different things. Google's system works really well for me for a number of reasons, and I choose Pixels because I want to utilize that system at it's maximum potential.

I haven't touched a Sammy since a short stint with an S6, but I'm sure they have a competitive offering. For example, the Samsung browser might be great.. BUT, I can't use it on any device like I can Chrome. Google is wherever I want and need them to be.

With the work they are doing in the AI/ML space, grinding more and more heavy processing down to individual devices, I am really looking forward to staying with Google and Pixels for years to come.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
While I agree with OP, I understand why different users like different things. Google's system works really well for me for a number of reasons, and I choose Pixels because I want to utilize that system at it's maximum potential.

I haven't touched a Sammy since a short stint with an S6, but I'm sure they have a competitive offering. For example, the Samsung browser might be great.. BUT, I can't use it on any device like I can Chrome. Google is wherever I want and need them to be.

With the work they are doing in the AI/ML space, grinding more and more heavy processing down to individual devices, I am really looking forward to staying with Google and Pixels for years to come.
That's exactly why I bought my 3XL! I agree with everything you just said. AI/machine learning / strong algorithm is the wave of the future! It always has been. And Google's on the forefront of it. The operating system on pixels is a beast, that's The reason why I bought my phone.

usedtolovephones

Jun 14, 2018
Visit site
But isn't Samsung too expensive? The S line, yes, it's amazing. But what if you don't want to spend that much money on a phone? What happens then? I know that there are maaaaannnyyyy Samsung mid rangers out there but I have no idea what to put my finger on.

Samsung makes sense if you have the means to go all out on them. Other than that, you get a mediocre jack of all trades. With Google, especially with the 3a, you get objectively the best camera and subjectively the best latest software.

See, again, Google is offering a mix of two bests and mediocre rest at every price point. That's a mix which is unparalleled. Everybody else is providing mediocre everything till $600 and then best best best if you have the means to go up.

Google Pixel 3 XL: best camera and software at $800
Pixel 3: best camera and software at $600 to $700
Pixel 2 XL: best camera and software at $500
Pixel 2: best camera and software at $400
Pixel 3a and 3axl: best camera and software at $400 to 470
Pixel 1: almost the best camera and the best software (upgraded to ansroid Q) for $250 and lower

Samsung S10: amazing at everything for $750 upwards
Note line: amazing at everything for $1000
S9 and S9+: good at everything with a good camera for $500 to 750
S8: good set of features and a good camera for $400 to 500

To me, when it comes to Samsung and Google, S9 and the 2 XL make most sense.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Oh, I completely. Samsung and Apple flagship phones are great very expensive premium phones. That's all there is the same bed. but objectively speaking, as you said, with the pixel 3A's you can get the best camera with great software and affordable price for the first time since the Nexus phone is. In addition, sure Samsung Galaxy mid-range phones do exist however, the perspective you said and pretty much user experiences crap! Which means, to the casual buyer a mid-range Samsung phone, it's going to put a nasty taste in their mouths for the Android experience as a hole. Why, because you still have TouchWiz or the Samsung experience over Android with less powerful resources. That equation has never added up.

anon(26457)

May 25, 2010
Visit site
The photo quality of my Pixel 3XL is amazing, but the camera is so sluggish, I have missed a ton of photos. In fact, the whole phone is horrible. I have to reboot a couple times a day just to make it bearable. Yes, I've turned off the adaptive battery and the Digital Wellbeing. So far, I can't tell much difference. I have uninstalled several apps I don't use much as well.

I haven't done a factory reset, but the phone is only 7 months old. Shouldn't need to do that. I wish I had gone with a Note 9 or stayed on an iPhone. Very disappointed.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
Let’s just be clear, Samsung mid-rangers are also quite good and the flagship S line is amazing at everything WHILE remaining more than a hundred pounds cheaper than their Apple equivalent which has less features.

usedtolovephones

Jun 14, 2018
Visit site
Let’s just be clear, Samsung mid-rangers are also quite good and the flagship S line is amazing at everything WHILE remaining more than a hundred pounds cheaper than their Apple equivalent which has less features.
Samsung midrangers are good. But are they best at anything like Google?