Trade In Values

anthonium

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
For any of you that have used Google's trade in option, can you advise how accurate is the credit received for your device? So long as it turns on and it is free of cracks, will Google pretty much give you the highest trade in value specified or do a few minor scratches on the chassis of the phone lower its value?

I have an iphone SE that is in pretty good condition aside from some scratches on the outer edges.

Also, if paying for the device in full with a credit card, will Google then reimburse you back on the card?

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
For any of you that have used Google's trade in option, can you advise how accurate is the credit received for your device? So long as it turns on and it is free of cracks, will Google pretty much give you the highest trade in value specified or do a few minor scratches on the chassis of the phone lower its value?

I have an iphone SE that is in pretty good condition aside from some scratches on the outer edges.

Also, if paying for the device in full with a credit card, will Google then reimburse you back on the card?

I used Google's trade-in to go from the Pixel XL to the Pixel 2 XL. The process was a bit of a nightmare (though it should be noted that it was a new program at the time, and may since have improved) in that it took nearly 6 weeks for them to complete the credit during which time they provided virtually no communication during delays. In the end, they did give the entire quoted credit.

I gave no consideration to the program when the 3 XL came out due to the dramatically lowered values they were offering at the time, though it appears they are now offering better incentives with the 3a / 3a XL release, in particular for older phones - to the point that you'd do better trading in than selling on the open market (in fact, some have gone so far as to buy new ones off of Amazon and then trade them in).

If you do choose to do the trade-in, I strongly recommend you take pictures, or preferably video, of your device making clear the condition of the body, screen, and that it does turn on and is functional, so that in the event they should determine it at a different, lower-valued condition, you have evidence to support a dispute.

I would assume the credit would go to your card - when I got mine it was through Google's contracted credit partner, and they simply credited it there.

anthonium

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I used Google's trade-in to go from the Pixel XL to the Pixel 2 XL. The process was a bit of a nightmare (though it should be noted that it was a new program at the time, and may since have improved) in that it took nearly 6 weeks for them to complete the credit during which time they provided virtually no communication during delays. In the end, they did give the entire quoted credit.

I gave no consideration to the program when the 3 XL came out due to the dramatically lowered values they were offering at the time, though it appears they are now offering better incentives with the 3a / 3a XL release, in particular for older phones - to the point that you'd do better trading in than selling on the open market (in fact, some have gone so far as to buy new ones off of Amazon and then trade them in).

If you do choose to do the trade-in, I strongly recommend you take pictures, or preferably video, of your device making clear the condition of the body, screen, and that it does turn on and is functional, so that in the event they should determine it at a different, lower-valued condition, you have evidence to support a dispute.

I would assume the credit would go to your card - when I got mine it was through Google's contracted credit partner, and they simply credited it there.

Thank you for the advice. That definitely does seem like a long time to get credited. I used Google Finance for my first Pixel device but going forwards I'd rather use my AMEX card who in the event anything happens to the phone, has better replacement/refunding support (in my opinion) when it comes to damaged/lost/stolen devices than Google.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the advice. That definitely does seem like a long time to get credited. I used Google Finance for my first Pixel device but going forwards I'd rather use my AMEX card who in the event anything happens to the phone, has better replacement/refunding support (in my opinion) when it comes to damaged/lost/stolen devices than Google.

AMEX is the better option, as at least some of their cards (if not all) also double the manufacturer warranty (I know that at least the Delta Skymiles variant does) if you pay for the full purchase with the card.

bkrickles

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I've done the trade in process twice now.
I traded my nexus 6P for the 2xl and then the 2xl for the 3xl and both times I received the value I was quoted without any issues.
My intention will be to trade my current 3xl for the 4xl if the payment is about the same.