Battery life

Dismaster

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
I haven't tested for sure yet but it seems like my battery runs down faster since the May update, anyone else have issues?

miller7796

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Yep, and my battery seems worse every month. It dropped 20% overnight just sitting on my night stand. I attempted safe mode a couple weeks ago and still lost 10%.

Reg Robinson

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Hard to be sure, but it sure seems like battery life has suffered lately. I haven't associated the May update with worse battery performance, but I suppose it's possible. Still, there are so many daily variables, who knows

Last edited:

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I would highly suspect third party apps for the battery drain. Third party app developers (especially free ones) are notoriously sloppy when it comes to maintaining and updating apps, particularly when there's any changes in the os.

I don't run any third party apps for that exact reason, and my battery life has been consistently great from day one, with no changes from any system updates ;-)

I've always wiped the cache partition on my phones in the past after a system update of any kind, and I always restart my pixel twice after the initial restart after a system update, and since I have a landline my phones get shut off every night as well. I think the frequent restarts also help things a lot ;-)

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
How can you have no third party apps?! No Instagram, no WhatsApp, no banking app, no weather app etc etc?

I do all my messaging with the built-in Google messaging app, I don't use Facebook, I don't bank on my phone or use it to pay for things with, my pixel gives me extremely accurate weather info on screen... including the current weather all the way up to the 10 day forecast, and reads it to me ;-) .......and I don't game on my phone, too busy for that and I have dedicated game consoles and PC's for my gaming and online banking needs.

What do I really need any third party apps for? Android comes with everything I personally need :-D

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I am not impressed with the battery life on my 3 but with so many options to charge your device it really doesn't matter to me anymore.

farocco

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site
this makes me worried as I just took advantage of the Verizon sale for 499.99 , 24 month deal. maybe should of gotten pixel 3a XL

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
this makes me worried as I just took advantage of the Verizon sale for 499.99 , 24 month deal. maybe should of gotten pixel 3a XL

My Pixel 3, now running Android Q beta, lasts two days if I don't charge it every evening but I do. No Facebook, no Instagram, no social media at all, no games, and I do fine. It also means I don't walk into holes in the sidewalk while staring at my phone.

JohnS305

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site

I wouldn't worry. I can get two days easily with my 3. I'm not a power user, but I use my phone. Facebook, email, YouTube, banking, phone calls, texting. Two - three hours of screen time typically and as I said I can go two days on a charge.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
My Pixel 3, now running Android Q beta, lasts two days if I don't charge it every evening but I do. No Facebook, no Instagram, no social media at all, no games, and I do fine. It also means I don't walk into holes in the sidewalk while staring at my phone.
I couldn't agree more with you! No social media for me at all! I have one puzzle game on my phone. Whenever my phone's on a flat surface I flip it over so the sensor turns off the always on Ambient display. My battery is a beast! I have no issues with it at all!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Lasting 2 days might be true of most phones based on your usage

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Lasting 2 days might be true of most phones based on your usage

I don't doubt that. But, that doesn't address the fact that the complaints about poor batteries rarely mention usage. Perhaps it would be interesting to see phones going toe to toe on battery power not by anecdotal evidence but by timing them running music videos.

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
This from today 2 hours talk time with 7 hours screen on time

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190609-221245.jpg
    Screenshot_20190609-221245.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20190609-221041.jpg
    Screenshot_20190609-221041.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 31

mlbyanks11

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I do all my messaging with the built-in Google messaging app, I don't use Facebook, I don't bank on my phone or use it to pay for things with, my pixel gives me extremely accurate weather info on screen... including the current weather all the way up to the 10 day forecast, and reads it to me ;-) .......and I don't game on my phone, too busy for that and I have dedicated game consoles and PC's for my gaming and online banking needs.

What do I really need any third party apps for? Android comes with everything I personally need :-D

You're not making any sense. So you're pretty much saying dont download any apps? Its not always third party apps. Samsung batteries from my experience just randomly tend to drain weeks at a time then goes back to normal. No one has time to restart their phone several times a day. You're basing usage just off of you. Not factoring everyone uses their phone differently, I have to charge mine at least 3 times or more a day. Samsung phones and battery do not last as advertised and its been a pattern. SO instead of pointing fingers at this app and that app, just face facts battery life is mediocre.

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Just another day with 7 hours SOT and almost 4 hours talk time . Makes me wonder just how much better it would have to be to be considered good.....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190610-202418.jpg
    Screenshot_20190610-202418.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20190610-202436.jpg
    Screenshot_20190610-202436.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 22

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
You're not making any sense. So you're pretty much saying dont download any apps? Its not always third party apps. Samsung batteries from my experience just randomly tend to drain weeks at a time then goes back to normal. No one has time to restart their phone several times a day. You're basing usage just off of you. Not factoring everyone uses their phone differently, I have to charge mine at least 3 times or more a day. Samsung phones and battery do not last as advertised and its been a pattern. SO instead of pointing fingers at this app and that app, just face facts battery life is mediocre.

I was just making a point, third party apps can and do affect the battery life and overall operation of your phone....so folks should consider that when loading your phone down with a million apps you may not even need, then complaining when your battery life is crap and your phone is glitching out.

I'm not against third party apps..... I've used them in the past, I'm just trying to get folks to think about what they put on their phone ;-)

BTW I get 2 days on a charge with my pixel..... just like a lot of other folks here. I also got 2 days on my Moto x pure edition if I wanted to stretch it.... but that was limiting my sot..... that big LCD screen was a battery hog :O

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
My phone's been on for four hours and it says it has only one day (24 hours) and 8 hours left. Oh, woe is me. Of course, I don't play games, don't watch music videos, and don't do what's called social media.