Pixel 3 still makes notifications sounds in vibration

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Right now, even though I'm clearly on vibration mode, many apps will still trigger a notification sounds. I tried to reboot and play around with the settings, but I noticed that the volume of the notifications is seems to be linked with the media volume slider not the ring slider. If I put media slider very low the notification sounds will be very low too. I do own the pixel buds. Just saying maybe there's a connection.

I don't know how to fox this. I'm not on beta I'm on Android 9 may security patch on regular pixel 3. It's getting embarassing at work!

RJMullins

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
*** UPDATE ***

I contacted Google Support, we changed the default sound to "None", restarted the phone, then set the default sound back (I use "Ping" as my default). The phone now vibrates when a new message comes in when the phone is set to vibrate and the media volume is turned up.

*** UPDATE ***

I am experiencing the same, it seems that it just changed within the last two weeks. The media slider is the volume for the notifications. This is the same with Bluetooth on or off. The problem with using DND mode is missing the messages. While at my desk having my phone on vibrate is best so I know when something comes in, but the sounds are playing for everyone to hear.

Recently I purchased Bluetooth headphones, but these are not connected to the phone except when I travel to listen to music and calls.

Any thoughts what changed?
- Bob

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The media slider is the volume for the notifications.
NO! It is not the slider for notification volume; not unless it is completely backwards from Android P to Q, or between Pixel 2 XL and Pixel 3 (both which I find highly unlikely).
If you reboot into Safe mode and turn off Bluetooth (just to be sure) you should be able to confirm this behavior.

RJMullins

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
NO! It is not the slider for notification volume; not unless it is completely backwards from Android P to Q, or between Pixel 2 XL and Pixel 3 (both which I find highly unlikely).
If you reboot into Safe mode and turn off Bluetooth (just to be sure) you should be able to confirm this behavior.

I agree that the media slider should not be the volume for notifications, that was the point of my post, the problem I was having was that the media slider became the volume for notifications. Following the steps I laid out fixed the issue and the media slider is again only controlling the media volume.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markizta