Oleophobic Coating

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, do you think it would be a good idea to try applying Rain-X with a microfiber towel to the screen of our phones, then buffing out? Reason I ask is rain-x is an oliophobic coating.

Rain-X is actually hydrophobic (repels water), not oleophobic. From what I read the other day, it does help a little in that it makes the glass a bit easier to clean (and will certainly bead water) but doesn't handle oils the same way an oleophobic coating would.

There was also a consistent warning - don't use it on plastic screen protectors, and whatever you do, don't get it on anything rubber.

What about those glasses wipes you can pick up from Lens Crafters? Do those contain alcohol?

You'd have to look at the listed ingredients. Looks like this would be a good option: https://www.amazon.com/GreatShield-...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6555786

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Rain-X is actually hydrophobic (repels water), not oleophobic. From what I read the other day, it does help a little in that it makes the glass a bit easier to clean (and will certainly bead water) but doesn't handle oils the same way an oleophobic coating would.

There was also a consistent warning - don't use it on plastic screen protectors, and whatever you do, don't get it on anything rubber.

You'd have to look at the listed ingredients. Looks like this would be a good option: https://www.amazon.com/GreatShield-...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6555788
Yeah I know I got you. Thanks. I won't be applying Rain-X to my smartphone screen after all.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
You know this brings up a good point on maintenance.. Why don't users spend more on proper maintenance care material when they spend hundreds on their tech, specifically mobile devices?

I try to keep mine clean on the regular ...

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
You know this brings up a good point on maintenance.. Why don't users spend more on proper maintenance care material when they spend hundreds on their tech, specifically mobile devices?

I try to keep mine clean on the regular ...

I don't know why people spend money on cleaning materials when clean water and a microfiber cloth does the job just fine.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Is there any harm in putting Rain-X on the screen though? Even though it's a hydrophobic coating. I mean would it help with swiping around on the screen I wonder...