06-12-2019 09:53 AM
35 12
tools
    Had the Pixel 3 since Nov 2018 and I noticed the oleophobic coating seems terrible. Wiping away smudges only makes it worse. Is it just me? Considering to buy a matte screen protector just to avoid this.

This is my only major complaint thus far, everything else has been awesome. Camera is amazing. Overall usage and performance is smooth. Battery life not so much, but I am a very heavy user anyway so I really don't expect my battey to last a full day.
    05-29-2019 12:39 AM
    For me, it's the opposite. I bought some screen protectors when I bought the Pixel 3 but the oleophobic coating is so fantastic I've not put them on. I don't need to clean my screen even once a week.
    rexxsor likes this.
    05-29-2019 07:38 AM
    I don't trust myself with any screen. The armorsuit protector is working well for me.
    rexxsor likes this.
    05-29-2019 08:11 AM
    Had the Pixel 3 since Nov 2018 and I noticed the oleophobic coating seems terrible. Wiping away smudges only makes it worse. Is it just me? Considering to buy a matte screen protector just to avoid this.

This is my only major complaint thus far, everything else has been awesome. Camera is amazing. Overall usage and performance is smooth. Battery life not so much, but I am a very heavy user anyway so I really don't expect my battey to last a full day.
    Did it seem terrible when you first got it, or has it been something you've only grown to notice lately?

Oleophobic treatments do wear over time. If you use any alcohol-based cleansers/wipes to clean your screen, this can dramatically accelerate the deterioration. I can't attest to how long it will remain "good" under normal use as I do keep a screen protector on mine, though.
    rexxsor likes this.
    05-29-2019 08:16 AM
    I've always used a screen protector, so wouldn't know how long it would last but curious.
    rexxsor likes this.
    05-29-2019 08:58 AM
    For me, it's the opposite. I bought some screen protectors when I bought the Pixel 3 but the oleophobic coating is so fantastic I've not put them on. I don't need to clean my screen even once a week.
    That's awesome. How long have you been using the phone?
    05-29-2019 09:15 AM
    Did it seem terrible when you first got it, or has it been something you've only grown to notice lately?

Oleophobic treatments do wear over time. If you use any alcohol-based cleansers/wipes to clean your screen, this can dramatically accelerate the deterioration. I can't attest to how long it will remain "good" under normal use as I do keep a screen protector on mine, though.
    I remember it to be quite good when I first got the phone. Difficult to know exactly when it started to go bad since it is something you only notice once it becomes really bad.
    05-29-2019 09:18 AM
    Going on two months with my 3 and no screen protector yet just haven't put it on and so far no issues with my glass. I will say its much better than my apple devices are they smudge very easily and need cleaning more often.
    rexxsor likes this.
    05-29-2019 09:42 AM
    I remember it to be quite good when I first got the phone. Difficult to know exactly when it started to go bad since it is something you only notice once it becomes really bad.
    It'll wear differently for different people depending on a number of factors, such as how naturally oily your hands/skin are, makeup (if worn), means by which it is cleaned (microfiber cloth is best bet), ambient conditions (salt air, etc). It is just a coating, so will wear.

There are some companies that offer products you can use to reapply an oleophobic coating, though I've never really looked into their cost and effectiveness.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+...c+coating/9682
    rexxsor likes this.
    05-29-2019 10:48 AM
    That's awesome. How long have you been using the phone?
    My sister brought it to me in early January.
    rexxsor likes this.
    05-29-2019 11:15 AM
    Honestly, the oliophobic coating on my 3 XL screen is pretty good. every smart phone screen is going to get fingerprints smudges on it. That's just the nature of technology. I'm anal about cleanliness so I try my best to keep it as clean as possible. However, I will say that with the new gesture UI, having smudges on the screen does help to fluidity of navigating around the operating system. Hahaha
    rexxsor likes this.
    05-29-2019 11:46 AM
    Honestly, the oliophobic coating on my 3 XL screen is pretty good. every smart phone screen is going to get fingerprints smudges on it. That's just the nature of technology. I'm anal about cleanliness so I try my best to keep it as clean as possible. However, I will say that with the new gesture UI, having smudges on the screen does help to fluidity of navigating around the operating system. Hahaha
    That's a very positive attitude towards smudges. Hahaha
    05-29-2019 11:58 AM
    It'll wear differently for different people depending on a number of factors, such as how naturally oily your hands/skin are, makeup (if worn), means by which it is cleaned (microfiber cloth is best bet), ambient conditions (salt air, etc). It is just a coating, so will wear.

There are some companies that offer products you can use to reapply an oleophobic coating, though I've never really looked into their cost and effectiveness.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+...c+coating/9682
    Thanks for the info. Will look into the coating application if it's something I might consider.

You're right, I possibly have oily fingers and am quite a heavy mobile phone user. Also currently living in a warm humid country.

I compared to my friend's iPhone X, which is a year older. The iPhone coating was in a much better state. But yeah, not all factors are the same.
    05-29-2019 12:03 PM
    Thanks for the info. Will look into the coating application if it's something I might consider.

You're right, I possibly have oily fingers and am quite a heavy mobile phone user. Also currently living in a warm humid country.

I compared to my friend's iPhone X, which is a year older. The iPhone coating was in a much better state. But yeah, not all factors are the same.
    actually, I looked into the oleophobic coating you can buy. Unfortunately though, the amazon.com links are broken or they don't exist anymore. at one point years ago I tried to buy some oliophobic coating for one of my older Nexus phones but I never bought anything.
    That's a very positive attitude towards smudges. Hahaha
    Yes, thanks I tried. I mean sure I'm anal and I try my best to keep the phone screen smudge free completely. However, the second you go to swipe around an application on your phone, or send a message out, or do anything on your phone, you're going to get it smudged up! It's inevitable. Sure you can get a screen protector with them smart free advertisement, but in my opinion, screen protectors don't look particularly good on phones. And I've never been so convinced that's screen protectors add that much more layer of protection from drops or spills or falls.
    rexxsor likes this.
    05-29-2019 01:54 PM
    actually, I looked into the oleophobic coating you can buy. Unfortunately though, the amazon.com links are broken or they don't exist anymore.
    Not vouching for the product in any way, but this link still works: https://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Armor...cUvbUpU6555329

Edit - as an aside, it just occurred to me that every screen protector I've ever bought comes with an alcohol wipe to clean the screen before installation... which, of course, damages the coating. Not that big a deal if you'll always have a SP installed, but if you ever later decide to go 'naked' it'll already be partially stripped.
    rexxsor likes this.
    05-29-2019 02:23 PM
    Not vouching for the product in any way, but this link still works: https://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Armor...cUvbUpU6555330
    Actually ironically, that was the product I had looked at years ago! Good find. I mean don't get me wrong, it's an interesting thing to do I just don't know if the phones screen actually needs it.
    rexxsor likes this.
    05-29-2019 02:25 PM
    Not vouching for the product in any way, but this link still works: https://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Armor...cUvbUpU6555691

Edit - as an aside, it just occurred to me that every screen protector I've ever bought comes with an alcohol wipe to clean the screen before installation... which, of course, damages the coating. Not that big a deal if you'll always have a SP installed, but if you ever later decide to go 'naked' it'll already be partially stripped.
    Just out of curiosity, do you think it would be a good idea to try applying Rain-X with a microfiber towel to the screen of our phones, then buffing out? Reason I ask is rain-x is an oliophobic coating.
    05-30-2019 09:28 AM
    We could have some tips of safe phoning. For example, do not pick your nose with the same finger you use to navigate with gestures.
    05-30-2019 10:01 AM
    Not vouching for the product in any way, but this link still works: https://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Armor...cUvbUpU6555710

Some wipes don't contain alcohol. Realistically using an occasional alcohol wipe to install a screen protector won't kill your coating, especially compared to using your phone without a protector.
    05-30-2019 10:05 AM
    Some wipes don't contain alcohol. Realistically using an occasional alcohol wipe to install a screen protector won't kill your coating, especially compared to using your phone without a protector.
    What about those glasses wipes you can pick up from Lens Crafters? Do those contain alcohol?
    05-30-2019 11:44 AM
    What about those glasses wipes you can pick up from Lens Crafters? Do those contain alcohol?
    Most likely. Usually you can smell the alcohol
    05-30-2019 11:49 AM
    Just out of curiosity, do you think it would be a good idea to try applying Rain-X with a microfiber towel to the screen of our phones, then buffing out? Reason I ask is rain-x is an oliophobic coating.
    Rain-X is actually hydrophobic (repels water), not oleophobic. From what I read the other day, it does help a little in that it makes the glass a bit easier to clean (and will certainly bead water) but doesn't handle oils the same way an oleophobic coating would.

There was also a consistent warning - don't use it on plastic screen protectors, and whatever you do, don't get it on anything rubber.

You'd have to look at the listed ingredients. Looks like this would be a good option: https://www.amazon.com/GreatShield-E...cUvbUpU6555786
    05-30-2019 01:14 PM
    Rain-X is actually hydrophobic (repels water), not oleophobic. From what I read the other day, it does help a little in that it makes the glass a bit easier to clean (and will certainly bead water) but doesn't handle oils the same way an oleophobic coating would.

There was also a consistent warning - don't use it on plastic screen protectors, and whatever you do, don't get it on anything rubber.

You'd have to look at the listed ingredients. Looks like this would be a good option: https://www.amazon.com/GreatShield-E...cUvbUpU6555788
    Yeah I know I got you. Thanks. I won't be applying Rain-X to my smartphone screen after all.
    05-30-2019 01:22 PM
    You know this brings up a good point on maintenance.. Why don't users spend more on proper maintenance care material when they spend hundreds on their tech, specifically mobile devices?

I try to keep mine clean on the regular ...
    Coop61 likes this.
    05-30-2019 08:48 PM
    You know this brings up a good point on maintenance.. Why don't users spend more on proper maintenance care material when they spend hundreds on their tech, specifically mobile devices?

I try to keep mine clean on the regular ...
    I don't know why people spend money on cleaning materials when clean water and a microfiber cloth does the job just fine.
    Tritonemusic and Coop61 like this.
    05-31-2019 06:14 AM
35 12