Do you embrace the notch or hide it?

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
So since pre-ordering and receiving my pixel 3 XL I've always embraced the notch. There had been a few times where I used natcho notch all and hide the notch. I liked it because it keeps the clock and status bar at the top while eliminating the notch, however, I hated it when I had my pixel 3 xl on my pixel stands which I have setup to display photo albums. The issue is when displaying photos it shows the notch same thing when playing music from Google play while it's on the pixel stand. Also if I just want to look at the time and I don't have the need to unlock the phone via the finger print reader and hit the power button once to glance at the clock same thing it shows the notch making it inconsistent and annoying for my taste so I ended up embracing the notch. If Google provided us with a way to hide the notch like natcho notch it would be my preferred way to use the phone.

Just recently I tried out the hide cutout feature in the developers option and at first I didn't like it. Then my brother picked up a pixel 3a XL which has no notch but a bezel. I then tried hiding the notch via the developer options again and little did I realized the bezel seems to be more or less the same as the new pixel 3a XL. After forcing myself to use it this way for about a week "which was supper weird at first" now I seem to prefer this over the notch and natcho notch all bc of it'd inconsistency when the screen is locked. Basically looks like a notchless pixel 3a xl or even similar to my old pixel 2 xl experience.

Curious to see how you guys are using your phones. Embracing the notch, natcho notch or hiding the notch via the developer options? I know a lot of people argue that you lose screen if you hide the notch and I totally get that and I was one of those who felt the same where hiding the notch seemed rediculous. Also, my wife had a pixel 3a the smaller pixel and after holding it and setting it up for her I kind of grew to like hiding the notch.

How are you guys rocking yours???

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I completely and the genuinely embrace it. It serves a purpose wide angle selfie and the regular selfie. I honestly find that the people who hide it was software tweaks are ridiculous.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I completely and the genuinely embrace it. It serves a purpose wide angle selfie and the regular selfie. I honestly find that the people who hide it was software tweaks are ridiculous.
Yeah I used to feel the same way too. I think the week that I forced myself to hide the notch was probably like most things a matter of getting used to it. Maybe I liked it after a week bc it made it look different who knows. Funny thing after reading your comment I out the notch back to default and it looks like I have no notch most of the time bc I have a black background, use dark theme and dark theme on apps that support it.

Speaking of which anyone tried to enable override on the developers options to force dark theme on all apps? Seems to be broken with android Q beta 4 and just crashed/closes.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I used to feel the same way too. I think the week that I forced myself to hide the notch was probably like most things a matter of getting used to it. Maybe I liked it after a week bc it made it look different who knows. Funny thing after reading your comment I out the notch back to default and it looks like I have no notch most of the time bc I have a black background, use dark theme and dark theme on apps that support it.

Speaking of which anyone tried to enable override on the developers options to force dark theme on all apps? Seems to be broken with android Q beta 4 and just crashed/closes.
Yes sir, I tried to override developer settings again in beta 4. Settings application force crashes and it won't let you enable it. As far as the notch is concerned, I embrace it I said who cares The iPhone 10 all have notches. No one really grips about that!

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes sir, I tried to override developer settings again in beta 4. Settings application force crashes and it won't let you enable it. As far as the notch is concerned, I embrace it I said who cares The iPhone 10 all have notches. No one really grips about that!
Yeah I went back to it and after looking at it for a couple of minutes having the extra screen on top actually makes a pretty significant difference. Going to continue to keep it on.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I've hidden the notch with the developers option from the beginning. I'll be buying the Pixel 4 XL as it reportedly will do away with the notch. We shall see what happens.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I feel like it's a preference and just a matter of getting used to the notch or getting used to having it off. I think either option really is fine which ever you prefer for yourself.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
While I don't have a Pixel 3.. I'd embrace it. I know I don't have an option to hide it on my iPhone but TBH I only ever notice the notch when reading forums and someone mentions it.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
While I don't have a Pixel 3.. I'd embrace it. I know I don't have an option to hide it on my iPhone but TBH I only ever notice the notch when reading forums and someone mentions it.
Yeah you get used to it. I'd prefer to have a thinner and wider notch like the iPhone than a deeper notch like the xl. But yeah you get used to it. I'm happy with both on it off really.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I thought it'd bother me more than it actually does. There are times when certain apps try to make use of the entire screen, thus cutting off a tiny bit of text which can be a little jarring. And other times, when the notch area isn't used, then the top of the screen has right angles, whereas the bottom has the rounded corners. But overall, I don't care that much as long as it keeps taking amazing photos (which it does).

anon(8648115)

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
I never minded the notch at all, but I also prefer being able to see all my notification and statuses up top. The fact that the developer options gives me that is one thing I love about android.

Also, per my OCD, hiding the notch gives my 3XL a sense of symmetry with the bezels that I never knew I needed. I'll just switch back and forth when I want.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah you get used to it. I'd prefer to have a thinner and wider notch like the iPhone than a deeper notch like the xl. But yeah you get used to it. I'm happy with both on it off really.

Yep. The brain is a powerful thing and ignores things that aren't relevant after awhile.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I never minded the notch at all, but I also prefer being able to see all my notification and statuses up top. The fact that the developer options gives me that is one thing I love about android.

Also, per my OCD, hiding the notch gives my 3XL a sense of symmetry with the bezels that I never knew I needed. I'll just switch back and forth when I want.

I prefer small bezels and a slightly taller phone to get the same size screen without a big chunk of viewing area being affected by a notch.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

The only problem I see with developer option turning notch off is it puts everything under the black bar instead in it , I was hoping Google would do this natively like other manufacturers , so I leave it with the notch .

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
The only problem I see with developer option turning notch off is it puts everything under the black bar instead in it , I was hoping Google would do this natively like other manufacturers , so I leave it with the notch .
That's exactly how I feel as well. If they could accomplish what natcho notch would be awesome. I don't like natcho notch bc it can't hide the notch when in the lock screen.