Android Q beta as daily driver?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm all in with gesture navigation now and the only app I had left that didn't work was a pay stub app from work which now works.
Overall Q is working great.
I completely agree. Like I said in the past, the only experience that's not working for me at all is Android Auto but it is what it is at this point everything else works. The only thing that Google must improve upon are the gestures for home screen and complete UI navigation.

bkrickles

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I completely agree. Like I said in the past, the only experience that's not working for me at all is Android Auto but it is what it is at this point everything else works. The only thing that Google must improve upon are the gestures for home screen and complete UI navigation.

The AA bug is what keeps me away. I can't complete my day to day without it fully functioning. Otherwise, Q is so smooth and snappy.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The AA bug is what keeps me away. I can't complete my day to day without it fully functioning. Otherwise, Q is so smooth and snappy.
Yes I know what you mean. I mean I've had to do work arounds in my car regarding Android Auto. And the more annoying thing is, I love using Google maps in my car but it's really hard to charge it and use my phone at the same time without Android Auto. Every beta stage, I pray to God Google finally fixes Android Auto, but on the issue tracker, there are quite a few of us users at a complaining about Android Auto still. And Android Q won't be ready for production until late September/October.

philesk

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
Installed Q beta4 OTA on my Essential PH-1. So easy. I am so glad I bought the PH-1. My wife and son also have PH-1s. So far no sévère problems. I don't like the full gesture navigation. It feels unfinished and some apps are not compatible particularly when trying to go back to a previous screen the apps go to background. I went back to two button navigation. I also had a small problem with the Wells Fargo banking app - it wouldn't let me do a deposit using the camera and the Peet's Coffee app wouldn't let me transfer $ from a prepaid Peet's card. Both problems were solved by uninstalling and reinstalling the two apps.

So, if you have app problems, I recommend uninstalling from the phone and reinstalling the offending apps from the Playstore.

Last edited:

forestinjersey

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I am using it on my DD, I rolled back yesterday to Pie but updated again within 3 hours. Q is so nice to use and runs with no issues on my 2XL

philesk

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
I can't use Utilita apps to top up my gas and electricity or to check my account. I can't use MBNA credit card and a few I can't remember that I uninstalled. But I have an S7 edge that I use alongside my pixel to connect to my smartwatch and I put those apps onto that phone instead.

You can try uninstalling and then reinstalling the banking and other app from the Playstore. Worked for me.

Jul 18, 2018
Visit site
Yes I know what you mean. I mean I've had to do work arounds in my car regarding Android Auto. And the more annoying thing is, I love using Google maps in my car but it's really hard to charge it and use my phone at the same time without Android Auto. Every beta stage, I pray to God Google finally fixes Android Auto, but on the issue tracker, there are quite a few of us users at a complaining about Android Auto still. And Android Q won't be ready for production until late September/October.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I, too, have had issues with Android Auto. What workarounds have you done that have been successful? I'd love to know!
Well, by work around I really mean other ways of listening to music and what not in my car. Basically I took a serious XM promotional deal for 6 months instead of listening to Google Play music. As far as it charging issue for Google maps in the car, I love to figure that one out. Probably just charging via USB from the other USB port in my car. I don't know what else to do. It does frustrate me, but I'm not going to roll back to Android 9 pie at this point. I mean in all honesty though, for the phone itself, I don't have many other serious major bugs or issues with Q. Other than the gestures being slightly wonky right now

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yep. I use AA every day for maps, calls, texts, general questions. Even MLB at bat. It's my favorite phone / car feature.
Yep yep I mean the only annoying I have without Android auto I can't safely respond to messages while I'm in the car.

hsb1234

Mar 29, 2017
Visit site
Yes. It has been friendly update from very first preview release. One of the bank app started working only after version number got changed to 10.

No major issues so far.:cool:

chp7

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
Daily driver on my Pixel 2 XL, working almost perfect. Jumped off the 3rd beta, but 4th running so much better. Only thing I'm really missing is some of the dark themes (like Google Assistant) no longer working.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I'm in the "Nope." camp. Anything can happen with Beta software, so why take a chance? For that reason, Q was my first beta test on my secondary device.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
AA is fine now. In the early betas Bluetooth could get messed up if you got a phone call but that's all been sorted out. I'm not having any problems now and I love the new interface.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I installed Beta4 as soon as I bought my Pixel 3Xl a few weeks ago and been using it as my DD. Other than Microsoft Launcher, PictureInPicture for Google Maps and quick launch for the camera playing up a little every now and then it's been fine for me and not enough to make me want to rollback.

PGHammer20607

Feb 28, 2017
Visit site
I use it as my daily driver. I prefer the new navigation system. Had to wait a bit for my banking apps to be updated to work on the beta but they are sorted now. Haven't really had any major problems with beta. Had the odd freeze up for a few seconds but that's about it. Haven't found any other apps I can't use

In my case, I was coming from the S7 Snapdragon - therefore, no Pie-isms to unload/unlearn. Therefore, I registered immiediately for the Android beta on Monday (8 July) and have been treating Q as a daily driver. My app core came from Oreo also. So far, nothing has broken app-wise. I'm not rooted, and will likely wait until Q RTWs for that. (Besides, I need proper cabling between my Pixel 3a and my PC.)