Android Q beta as daily driver?

AKFL3TCH3R

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
How many of you all have been running the latest Android Q beta? Has it been worth it and functional as a daily driver? If so, why? If not... Why? 😵 I'm interested in testing it out, though sadly my S8+ has decided to stop turning on altogether, so this 3XL is my only working device right now.

Carl051

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I use it as my daily driver. I prefer the new navigation system. Had to wait a bit for my banking apps to be updated to work on the beta but they are sorted now. Haven't really had any major problems with beta. Had the odd freeze up for a few seconds but that's about it. Haven't found any other apps I can't use

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I've been using every android beta since the start until it goes live for all my devices since the nexus 6p. Although there are more bugs at the start it's never enough to get me to go back to the previous version. I always rock it on my daily driver.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I've been using every android beta since the start until it goes live for all my devices since the nexus 6p. Although there are more bugs at the start it's never enough to get me to go back to the previous version. I always rock it on my daily driver.
Yes, correct. Even though I have my Android auto bug and a few other glitches, I'm still using it still pretty stable.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
That is absolute correct. Depends on which applications you're using That's better. For the most part Android Q is pretty stable. I can't wait for it to be production ready for Android Auto to finally work with my car but that's another story.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Which apps haven't worked?
I can't use Utilita apps to top up my gas and electricity or to check my account. I can't use MBNA credit card and a few I can't remember that I uninstalled. But I have an S7 edge that I use alongside my pixel to connect to my smartwatch and I put those apps onto that phone instead.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Been using the latest beta on my XL as well. Entirely because of the native dark mode and the return of the traditional 3-button navigation
Hahaha you know as much as I tried to use the old three button navigations, doesn't seem natural or normal to me anymore. I'm so used to The feeling of gesture navigations at this point b

anon(8648115)

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Lol the pill navigation was... fine. Apple's implementation is just frankly better on this front of gesture navigation. The new gesture navigation for Q was not well suited for me. I personally just find the classic three button navigation a much more simple solution. If it ain't broke...

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
My banking app still hasn't been updated (small bank), and a few other "developer-type" and other specialty apps haven't, as of Beta 2, so I went back to Pie (which gave Google some good troubleshooting - no more automatic replacement because the phone is in the bootloader, won't get out of it, and the PC doesn't recognize that there's anything plugged into it). I'll wait until release - I'm comfortable with Pie, and really don't need any of the Q changes or additions. (As for gestures, Nova does everything I need. The launcher was one of the first things I replaced on the phone.)

AKFL3TCH3R

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Lol the pill navigation was... fine. Apple's implementation is just frankly better on this front of gesture navigation. The new gesture navigation for Q was not well suited for me. I personally just find the classic three button navigation a much more simple solution. If it ain't broke...

Yeah, my only gripe is that the navigation pill on Q looks really awkward and thin, in other words, doesn't look very optimized 😂

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't recommend to use it because it's in beta and beta itself says that it's under testing. That means that the OS might contain bugs. Atleast not as a daily driver.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

Preach it brother! ;-)

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Don't use it as my daily driver (hate that term) because I have options, but I would have no issue doing so. During the initial beta I only had an issue with my banking app which was fixed rather quickly and Firefox wouldn't load which took awhile but no sweat.
The gestures are an improvement over Pie, although some aren't quite happy but we will never please everyone.

elvee68

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm all in with gesture navigation now and the only app I had left that didn't work was a pay stub app from work which now works.
Overall Q is working great.