New pixel 3XL owner. Callers can't hear me

farmwersteve

Jan 27, 2018
Visit site
I have had this 3XL for about a week or so

I like everything, but when I make phone calls, I see it switches to H fr lol LTE and the callers can't hear me and it cuts out.

I am pn Bell mobility in Canada.

I use a voip for a second line, and it works fine.

So it is something to do with the calling of the phone.

My reception during these poor calls is perfect and am able to download 300+ MBPS , so it must be to do with the phone switching to H bands to make the calls.

Thanks for your help

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
New Pixel, call Google. At very "worst", they'll send you a new phone. (Do it now, while it's still new, or you'll get a refurb.) They may ask you to call them using the phone, or ask if they can call you on it, or something. (Google's customer/tech service is one of the reasons I own one. The phone has to work - there's no "or" after that.)

If they give you your choice, and you have room on your credit card (it doesn't cost you anything - they'll just put a hold on the amount until they get the old phone back), ask for them to ship first, then you'll return. In the US, that takes 2 business days for you to receive the phone (so maybe 3 or 4 to Canada). If you can't do it that way, you have to send the phone back and they'll send you the new one. (I've had about 7 Pixel 2s go through my hands - they never argued about replacing a phone. [I'm still on the second one, though - all the problems - including with the first one - were my doing. (And as someone who used to design stuff like cellphones, I should have known better. But even they didn't, so I don't feel too stupid.) But messing up a manual update, bricking the phone when going from Q beta back to Pie, those were stupid things. On my part. (And even Google didn't know how to unbrick the phone - I found that out when I was awaiting the second replacement for that problem. [The first replacement was defective, in a way that most people would probably never have gotten to.]) Not having the Fingerprint sensor work in cold weather (because my old fingers don't have enough fat in them to maintain shape in the winter?) was something they weren't aware of, and I never designed FP sensors, so I couldn't have known either. (It got to the point that I was half-seriously asking them if they could replace my fingers. Seriously. Their people are nice to talk to, as long as you're polite and don't demand things you're not entitled to.) Then (this went on for weeks, and 4 replacement phones) they started getting some reports from Canada and ... the light went on for both them and me.

farmwersteve

Jan 27, 2018
Visit site
New Pixel, call Google. At very "worst", they'll send you a new phone. (Do it now, while it's still new, or you'll get a refurb.) They may ask you to call them using the phone, or ask if they can call you on it, or something. (Google's customer/tech service is one of the reasons I own one. The phone has to work - there's no "or" after that.)

If they give you your choice, and you have room on your credit card (it doesn't cost you anything - they'll just put a hold on the amount until they get the old phone back), ask for them to ship first, then you'll return. In the US, that takes 2 business days for you to receive the phone (so maybe 3 or 4 to Canada). If you can't do it that way, you have to send the phone back and they'll send you the new one. (I've had about 7 Pixel 2s go through my hands - they never argued about replacing a phone. [I'm still on the second one, though - all the problems - including with the first one - were my doing. (And as someone who used to design stuff like cellphones, I should have known better. But even they didn't, so I don't feel too stupid.) But messing up a manual update, bricking the phone when going from Q beta back to Pie, those were stupid things. On my part. (And even Google didn't know how to unbrick the phone - I found that out when I was awaiting the second replacement for that problem. [The first replacement was defective, in a way that most people would probably never have gotten to.]) Not having the Fingerprint sensor work in cold weather (because my old fingers don't have enough fat in them to maintain shape in the winter?) was something they weren't aware of, and I never designed FP sensors, so I couldn't have known either. (It got to the point that I was half-seriously asking them if they could replace my fingers. Seriously. Their people are nice to talk to, as long as you're polite and don't demand things you're not entitled to.) Then (this went on for weeks, and 4 replacement phones) they started getting some reports from Canada and ... the light went on for both them and me.

Thank-you for your help

I will call them, if I can find their number and try to get a new one sent out.

It is pretty crazy that the phone itself doesn't call!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings>Network>Mobile Networks>Advanced​, and make sure Enhanced 4G LTE is turned on.

farmwersteve

Jan 27, 2018
Visit site
Go to Settings>Network>Mobile Networks>Advanced​, and make sure Enhanced 4G LTE is turned on.

Hey, thanks

Yes it is turned on.
It's strange,

I am just updating all the recent security patches, I hope that helps.
Going to try a Telis SIM card too, to ensure its not a mobile network issue.

Working with Google, told them that I want a new phone of this can't be resolved.

What I really don't want to do is reset my phone then have to set it all up again with the password etc and settings. Thats a process that I hate doing.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hey, thanks

Yes it is turned on.
It's strange,

I am just updating all the recent security patches, I hope that helps.
Going to try a Telis SIM card too, to ensure its not a mobile network issue.

Working with Google, told them that I want a new phone of this can't be resolved.

What I really don't want to do is reset my phone then have to set it all up again with the password etc and settings. Thats a process that I hate doing.
Do you have wifi calling set up and on?

farmwersteve

Jan 27, 2018
Visit site
I don't believe I have Wi-Fi calling
I tried a Telus SIM card and same issue. each call forces it into H network instead of LTE

Google is sending me a new replacement device to try

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I don't believe I have Wi-Fi calling
I tried a Telus SIM card and same issue. each call forces it into H network instead of LTE

Google is sending me a new replacement device to try
Ok hopefully everything gets straighten out with your replacement device.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You didn't confirm that you're in an area that has VoLTE coverage, but I guess I'll assume that you are.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you don't have VoLTE, the phone has to switch down from 4G to 2G or 3G to make the call. Bell Mobility sunsetted its 2G some time between 2017 and 2018, so that means the phone has to use 3G for calls. If you're actively able to download data via 3G while you're on the call, that means the 3G signal isn't being used for calls (there's no simultaneous voice and data on 3G). I'm trying to figure out if voice calls can go over 3G in the first place -- let me look into that.

farmwersteve

Jan 27, 2018
Visit site
hey, so i put my bell sim card back into my BlackBerry key2le

and did some speed tests

speed test shows bell lte when phone app is not in use

but when i make a call, speed test shows 3g and the speed test is much slower results.

but the phone shows it drops to H

so, the data must go over the 3g network while the phone is in use and the phone drops to H+

so I guess the ****ty phone calls on my pixel3xl aren't a result of the network or the phone down shifting.

but it may mean that the antenna in this phone is pretty terrible.

i have my replacement device and am setting it up

I will make some test call with it in the morning.

I just need to put the case and screen protector on it now , which is a pain

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I had another thought -- the phone might be switching down to 3G for data because it's trying to use 4G for calls (but since you don't have VoLTE in your area, that might be why it's having problems). What happens if you turn off that Enhanced 4G option? Maybe that will force the phone to use 3G for the calls.

farmwersteve

Jan 27, 2018
Visit site
I had another thought -- the phone might be switching down to 3G for data because it's trying to use 4G for calls (but since you don't have VoLTE in your area, that might be why it's having problems). What happens if you turn off that Enhanced 4G option? Maybe that will force the phone to use 3G for the calls.

Hey, would 3g be better for calls than H?

I can try that tomorrow

I did just this am upgrade to android Q beta 4 and tried some calls in my barn where the reception and call quality was the worst prior to the upgrade.

They were much better. Perhaps android Q has some new phone improvements?

But I will try tomorrow your suggestions.

I also want to try the replacement phone, maybe it was a hardware issue

I will keep you posted.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
This sounds to me like something your carrier is doing through the SIM. I hate to say it but maybe it isn't going to work well with your carrier?

farmwersteve

Jan 27, 2018
Visit site
This sounds to me like something your carrier is doing through the SIM. I hate to say it but maybe it isn't going to work well with your carrier?

I tried out my blackberry kry2LE and although I never noticed it before, it actually changes the network during phone calls too.

So, it's definitely a carrier thing, but the BlackBerry had really good call quality, so then that leads me to believe that this is a Google pixel3xl Valley quality issue, since the SIM card behaves the same in both phones.

I will be testing out the replacement phone today.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma