New pixel 3XL owner. Callers can't hear me

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings>Network>Mobile Network>Advanced>Preferred Network Type. Can you choose between LTE/CDMA and LTE/GSM/UMTS? If so, is it currently on the latter? Make sure it's on LTE/CDMA.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Bell is a GSM carrier from what I can tell. Also H stands for HSPA which is GSM version of 3G. If you have no VoLTE support, it is quite normal for phones to drop off LTE to use HSPA for phone calls. Also, even on 3G, it supports simultaneous voice and data. Don't confuse that with a CDMA carrier where it can never do simultaneous voice & data on 3G/CMDA.

The issue has nothing to with if your phone drops to H or not. Either the phone is defective or there is something wrong with the carrier.

farmwersteve

Jan 27, 2018
Visit site
Bell is a GSM carrier from what I can tell. Also H stands for HSPA which is GSM version of 3G. If you have no VoLTE support, it is quite normal for phones to drop off LTE to use HSPA for phone calls. Also, even on 3G, it supports simultaneous voice and data. Don't confuse that with a CDMA carrier where it can never do simultaneous voice & data on 3G/CMDA.

The issue has nothing to with if your phone drops to H or not. Either the phone is defective or there is something wrong with the carrier.

Hey

Thanks for the thorough reply.

Those are the same conclusions that I have come to.

I am on the new replacement phone and so far so good.

I've made a few test calls and the people on the other end seem to think the quality is good.

I am going to keep trying to make test calls and report back.

As far as the provider goes, I have tested 2 different providers and the same results.

farmwersteve

Jan 27, 2018
Visit site
well, this new phone has the same issue with the call quality

yesterday I ws making omw calls and the person on the other end could not hear me. I heard them fine, but all they heard was digital garble.

Google thinks it's because I am using a case.

my same aim card in my BlackBerry ia flawless, but could it be the SIM card or the network? I have been using Bell mobility and BlackBerry for years and never had this issue

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
well, this new phone has the same issue with the call quality

yesterday I ws making omw calls and the person on the other end could not hear me. I heard them fine, but all they heard was digital garble.

Google thinks it's because I am using a case.

my same aim card in my BlackBerry ia flawless, but could it be the SIM card or the network? I have been using Bell mobility and BlackBerry for years and never had this issue
Well the odds of getting two bad units in a row are small so it most likely not the phone. As for the case being the problem you can just remove it to test that theory. Since the SIM card is OK elsewhere that might not be the issue but I would try to work with carrier to see if your settings are correct and possibly get a new card to rule that out. If that doesn't resolve the issue, then you're left with trying for another exchange.

farmwersteve

Jan 27, 2018
Visit site
Well the odds of getting two bad units in a row are small so it most likely not the phone. As for the case being the problem you can just remove it to test that theory. Since the SIM card OK elsewhere that might not be the issue but if you can try a new card to rule it out then you're left with to working with the carrier to try to resolve it or trying for another exchange.

Hi there.

It doesn't happen at my home location, so its hard to test it out. It happens when I am out and about.

It's surprisingly hard to test phone calls, with so few contacts that I pick up the phone with anymore, let alone ask them if they can hear me and not be a disturbance.

I guess I should call Google support to test it out and talk to them.

I think it's a bad batch of phone.

lmsor

Jul 11, 2019
Visit site
The odds of getting two bad units is not small. My husband and I purchased the pixel 3's and received them on April 6. We were experiencing call quality issues from day 1. After searching for possible fixes in settings or with our network provider (Telus) in British Columbia, I contacted Google on April 23. They sent instructions for several setting changes, but it didn't help. Then they sent a big list of more instructions, including a factory reset, but no improvement. We asked for a refund, they refused. They offered to send us refurbished phones. I don't want a refurbished phone to replace my new phone. I've asked repeatedly if there is a fix in the works. There are literally thousands of complaints in forums regarding call quality, but support will NOT even acknowledge that the issue exists. I am willing to keep the phone if they could tell me that they're at least working on the issue. I am still emailing them, but am getting no response now. I will NEVER buy a google product again. We can't even have a 30 second conversation without the phone cutting out. It's absolutely useless as a phone.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
The odds of getting two bad units is not small. My husband and I purchased the pixel 3's and received them on April 6. We were experiencing call quality issues from day 1. After searching for possible fixes in settings or with our network provider (Telus) in British Columbia, I contacted Google on April 23. They sent instructions for several setting changes, but it didn't help. Then they sent a big list of more instructions, including a factory reset, but no improvement. We asked for a refund, they refused. They offered to send us refurbished phones. I don't want a refurbished phone to replace my new phone. I've asked repeatedly if there is a fix in the works. There are literally thousands of complaints in forums regarding call quality, but support will NOT even acknowledge that the issue exists. I am willing to keep the phone if they could tell me that they're at least working on the issue. I am still emailing them, but am getting no response now. I will NEVER buy a google product again. We can't even have a 30 second conversation without the phone cutting out. It's absolutely useless as a phone.

Sounds like it's time for another Google class action lawsuit..... there's already one being settled now for the original pixels. I really like the pixel line a lot, but I can't believe that after 3 generations of them, plus the Nexus line, that they're still having so many quality control issues.

It makes me tend to think they're always going to make crap :-(

farmwersteve

Jan 27, 2018
Visit site
oh yeah, Google was quick to send out the refurbished, an easy process and their willingness to send me replacement units so easily tells me that they are well aware of the issues with the new devices

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01