My Pixel 3 will not update

kingrollo

Jul 7, 2019
Visit site
I have had my pixel 3 just over a week. I noticed i kept getting update paused messages. so I connected to wifi and tried to do an update it either pauses and asks me to resume - but then it just says update downloading and installing for hours on end
the version is android 9 - last update November 2018

Any idea or do I need to return my phone ?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I moved this from the 1st gen Pixel forum to the Pixel 3 forum.

Does it always seem to pause when the screen goes to sleep? Are any power-saving modes turned on, or 3rd party battery-saver apps installed?

kingrollo

Jul 7, 2019
Visit site
Its only a week old - Don't think I have changed any default setting - it shows an update is available - but its 1245mb - it warns me of doing this over a data connection - them prompts me to connect to wfi - which I do - it then says update paused a couple of times - then a blue line goes across the top saying - installing system update - underneath it says downloading and installing update - but thats as far as it gets.

I was in a hurry when I set the phone - so skipped the updates - but can't see that would have made any difference.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Patience is the word. If you watch the blue carefully. You'll notice the line moves very slowly. Good luck.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, that's too long.:-\ On other phones, I'd suggest wiping the cache partition, but this isn't an option for Pixels, since they use dual partitions (for seamless updates). I'm guessing there isn't a Cancel button, right? You may need to make sure all of your data is backed up and do a factory reset.

kingrollo

Jul 7, 2019
Visit site
Done a factory reset - problem still persists - also noticed it took 10 minutes to copy 59 contacts across - so the phone may be suspect.
I am sending it back for replacement.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Left it running over night - so around 10 hours ? - is that long enough ?

The blue line whizes back and forth - it doesn't increment at all

The blue line whizzing happens when my update was still downloading. After it starts updating,,the blue line moves so slowly, it's hardly noticeable.
I know how frustrating it can be. I hope you get it fixed.