I have had my pixel 3 just over a week. I noticed i kept getting update paused messages. so I connected to wifi and tried to do an update it either pauses and asks me to resume - but then it just says update downloading and installing for hours on end
    the version is android 9 - last update November 2018

Any idea or do I need to return my phone ?
    07-07-2019 02:38 PM
    You could manually update it. See Google | Full OTA Images for Nexus and Pixel Devices for the update file and instructions. (You might try clearing cache [but not data] once you're in recovery to get rid of that notice.) (I'd start with the December file, and work my way down the list, installing each update in turn.)

Or you could contact Google for a replacement (Pixel Phone Help).
    07-07-2019 03:01 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! I moved this from the 1st gen Pixel forum to the Pixel 3 forum.

Does it always seem to pause when the screen goes to sleep? Are any power-saving modes turned on, or 3rd party battery-saver apps installed?
    07-08-2019 12:54 AM
    Its only a week old - Don't think I have changed any default setting - it shows an update is available - but its 1245mb - it warns me of doing this over a data connection - them prompts me to connect to wfi - which I do - it then says update paused a couple of times - then a blue line goes across the top saying - installing system update - underneath it says downloading and installing update - but thats as far as it gets.

I was in a hurry when I set the phone - so skipped the updates - but can't see that would have made any difference.
    07-08-2019 02:29 AM
    Some of these updates can take a little while to finish -- how long did you wait?
    07-08-2019 03:07 AM
    Patience is the word. If you watch the blue carefully. You'll notice the line moves very slowly. Good luck.
    07-08-2019 04:18 AM
    Some of these updates can take a little while to finish -- how long did you wait?
    Left it running over night - so around 10 hours ? - is that long enough ?

The blue line whizes back and forth - it doesn't increment at all
    07-08-2019 05:47 AM
    Yeah, that's too long. On other phones, I'd suggest wiping the cache partition, but this isn't an option for Pixels, since they use dual partitions (for seamless updates). I'm guessing there isn't a Cancel button, right? You may need to make sure all of your data is backed up and do a factory reset.
    07-08-2019 10:14 AM
    The easiest way (thanks to the a/b update method, the phone is still running even if the update crashed) is to boot into recovery and sideload the update(s) from Google | Full OTA Images for Nexus and Pixel Devices. If that doesn't work, the phone may have some bad eMMC storage, and Google will replace the phone.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    07-08-2019 01:45 PM
    Done a factory reset - problem still persists - also noticed it took 10 minutes to copy 59 contacts across - so the phone may be suspect.
    I am sending it back for replacement.
    07-09-2019 01:58 AM
    Left it running over night - so around 10 hours ? - is that long enough ?

The blue line whizes back and forth - it doesn't increment at all
    The blue line whizzing happens when my update was still downloading. After it starts updating,,the blue line moves so slowly, it's hardly noticeable.
    I know how frustrating it can be. I hope you get it fixed.
    07-09-2019 09:19 AM
    New pixel arrived - same problem - I give up
    07-15-2019 02:17 AM
    That fact that it's happening on a replacement phone makes me suspect that something you habitually install is causing interference. Does the problem persist in Safe Mode? https://support.google.com/pixelphon.../2852139?hl=en
    07-15-2019 12:11 PM