Google Assistant with lock screen

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm guessing this is a security feature of the phone, but when my phone is completely locked and I hit up Google Assistant from the lock screen to perform an action like navigating me via Google maps or asking what my reminders are for the day etc, Google Assistant has me unlock the phone first before performing the action. This is a security feature I'm guessing right?

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing this is a security feature of the phone, but when my phone is completely locked and I hit up Google Assistant from the lock screen to perform an action like navigating me via Google maps or asking what my reminders are for the day etc, Google Assistant has me unlock the phone first before performing the action. This is a security feature I'm guessing right?

Imagine if you lose your phone and someone could pick it up and say "Go Home", and Google maps would take the phone to your house. Would that be a good thing or a bad thing?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Imagine if you lose your phone and someone could pick it up and say "Go Home", and Google maps would take the phone to your house. Would that be a good thing or a bad thing?
Yeah, no, absolutely not. I figured it was for security, just making mention of it. Hahaha

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
It's kind of like thieves stealing cars at the Mall and then telling the GPS to "Go Home". They would then drive the stolen car to the victim's home, use the garage door opener to pull in to the garage, and knowing full well nobody was home, taking their time to find all the valuables! I suppose it could happen that way. :cool:

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Oh no trust me, I completely agree with you. I think it was a security issue and I'm in networking so I understand that firsthand. I was just coming from a convenience standpoint but I assure you, security over rules convenience any day of the week!