07-15-2019 05:03 PM
33 12
tools
    So i got the new security update today and my phone has been very unresponsive when hitting power button to turn the screen on I have to hold the power button for about 15 seconds to get it come on also noticed that my pixel 3 xl is even worse as in unresponsive after removing Off the wireless charger.

Anyone else having issues ?
    07-09-2019 02:15 PM
    Not that extreme, but it is noticeably slower to respond to input in general. Almost freezes sometimes.
    07-09-2019 02:39 PM
    I've been running the update since July 2, and have no problems with it. If I were you, I'd contact Google at Pixel Phone Help. (Aside from being about the best help desk I've ever had the pleasure of using (and I've run help desks - they do a better job than I did), they're good about getting phones to work, even if they have to send you a replacement.)
    07-09-2019 02:40 PM
    ^^^ What Rukbat said! I upgraded two P3XL's with no problems and business as usual.
    Luke18 and DMP89145 like this.
    07-09-2019 03:44 PM
    thanks I'm going to get in touch with Google Pixel support
    07-09-2019 03:46 PM
    ^^^ What Rukbat said! I upgraded two P4XL's with no problems and business as usual.
    I'd like me some Pixel 4's. Lucky.
    07-09-2019 03:56 PM
    ^^^ What Rukbat said! I upgraded two P4XL's with no problems and business as usual.
    Lucky, I wish I could get my hands on a Pixel 4XL!! How do you like it?
    07-09-2019 04:00 PM
    Aren't you special? 4XLs....hmmmmm
    07-09-2019 04:03 PM
    So i got the new security update today and my phone has been very unresponsive when hitting power button to turn the screen on I have to hold the power button for about 15 seconds to get it come on also noticed that my pixel 3 xl is even worse as in unresponsive after removing Off the wireless charger.

Anyone else having issues ?
    Have you tried safe mode to rule out a third party app?
    ptkelly likes this.
    07-09-2019 04:03 PM
    Factory reset I downloaded the day it came out and no issues at all here.
    07-09-2019 04:36 PM
    so I talked with the online chat she had me boot into safe mode everything was okay once I get out of safe mode different story It's taking 5 to 6 minutes for my phone to reboot I did not have a problem until after the security update this morning and I've even rolled back any Google play store app updates that may have come down today.. biggest issue is the screen going blank and having to hold the button ten to 15 seconds to get screen to come back on... sometimes it takes even longer...

I'm going back to online chat It's not as sluggish but it still bothers me that I have to hold this power button for 10 to 15 seconds to get the screen to come back on starting to think the button has gone faulty
    07-09-2019 07:49 PM
    That would be a strange coincidence if the power button went bad at the same time as the update.
    07-09-2019 09:29 PM
    Aren't you special? 4XLs....hmmmmm
    The hand is quicker than the eye and the brain!
    I corrected my original post to read two P3XL's!
    Kate and I both got our 3XL's at the same time!
    They are absolutely identical except for the cases.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    07-09-2019 11:32 PM
    That would be a strange coincidence if the power button went bad at the same time as the update.
    I don't think it did, since it works okay in safe mode.

@bigpapa7272, if it works in safe mode, it's an app you've installed that's just not compatible with the latest update. the big problem id finding it, and if the phone isn't rooted, the best you can do is disable all your installed apps and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't, it's one of the apps you couldn't disable. (Then all you can do is uninstall them, one by one, until you find the culprit. (I'd suggest backing them all up at this point [use App Backup & Restore], so you can reinstall all of them in one shot, except for the one causing the problem.)

If it does, enable them, one at a time, checking the power button after enabling each one. When the power button starts showing the problem again, the last app you enabled is the culprit. Disable it again and email the developer.
    DMP89145 likes this.
    07-10-2019 01:19 PM
    so yesterday I just rolled back and uninstalled anything that updated after the security update.. no dice still major issues with screen not coming on after pressing the power button. I'm getting frustrated and only had this phone a few months
    07-10-2019 08:11 PM
    also getting a lot of system UI is not responding messages
    Davidoo likes this.
    07-10-2019 08:26 PM
    also getting a lot of system UI is not responding messages
    I hate to suggest it but try a factory reset after backing up your files. If you initiate a return most likely Google will ask you to try that anyway. At least you'll be able to tell them you already tried it if resetting forms solve the problem. I also suggest starting with a fresh install.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    07-10-2019 10:17 PM
    Any chance you disabled any system apps or anything like that? If not as others have mentioned try a factory reset before asking for warranty replacement.
    07-10-2019 10:19 PM
    Coincidences are usually strange or no one calls them a coincidence. Correlation does not equal causation or whatever that quote is.

If all the problems reported are accurate and no one else is having a similar problem and a factory reset didn't help, I think it's safe to say it wasn't the security update and is a hardware problem.
    07-11-2019 11:37 AM
    Good news. The blank screen is gone. I did nothing special other than loading whatever updates arrived. The lock screen is back with the dim clock showing. Hopefully those with the problem, has the same luck.
    07-12-2019 03:16 PM
    I just did a factory reset and restore. let's see how it acts tonight. it seems better I'll report back if it pops up again
    Morty2264 likes this.
    07-12-2019 11:28 PM
    sometimes when I press or swipe on the screen it locks up or freezes up sometimes since the security update. it never did that before
    07-13-2019 11:42 AM
    The hand is quicker than the eye and the brain!
    I corrected my original post to read two P3XL's!
    Kate and I both got our 3XL's at the same time!
    They are absolutely identical except for the cases.
    Couple phones!

Sorry, I had to do it.
    TraderGary and Rukbat like this.
    07-13-2019 12:28 PM
    I just did a factory reset and restore. let's see how it acts tonight. it seems better I'll report back if it pops up again
    Yes, please keep us posted on your situation.
    07-13-2019 12:29 PM
    well my phone behave for about an hour then went back to what it's been doing ever since that update on Tuesday..

Google support seemed helpful in the beginning however their idea of a replacement sucks. they offered to replace it however I have to send my phone back first and they telling me I could be without a phone for up to 10 business days which is essentially two weeks before I even get the new phone. no offer of an advance exchange where they put a hold on my credit card or anything like that.
    I don't exactly call that customer service and I don't have an old phone laying around that I can activate because if you remember I had a huge problem with Samsung and carrier financing a few months back.... That forced me to get this phone.
    Maybe this is karma biting me in the keister for leaving LG......
    07-13-2019 02:45 PM
33 12