check

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Usb-C inconsistent connectivity

I've been having the same problem, not only with Android Auto, but also when plugging in at night to charge. A couple of times I woke up to find my 3XL nearly dead.

Both cables - car and home charger - were purchased directly from Google and appear to be physically fine. Concerned about the port on the phone, I went ahead and purchased the Pixel Stand for nighttime wireless charging. Meantime, I still get very inconsistent connections in my car.

I am on the Android Q Beta; are you? I've considered the possibility that it is related somehow, though I'd doubt it.

usedtolovephones

Jun 14, 2018
Visit site

Same here.

Connecting the phone to my PC takes 2 tries most of the times. Using the USB C pixel buds is a pain too. One little stretch and the music pauses.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

This is not sounding good.

Might be time to complain to Google and push for a free replacement...

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Got my Pixel 3 at launch and in the last few weeks been experiencing problems with my physical Usb-C port. For example plugged into my car, sometimes my device will detect USB connected while other times it takes me multiple plug in/out to eventually work. Another Usb-C that I use to charge my switch doesn't work at all anymore, it used to any time I plugged it in. Same now goes for my cable that came with device in box. Anyone else experience a similar issue recently? This is the first time I had physical port give in less than year of owning a phone. I checked to see if anything stuck but looks all clean.
Sorry to hear you're having trouble. Does sound like a bad port. I know it sounds like a reach but try it in safe mode. If it still does it in safe mode then factory reset it. To get a replacement Google might ask you to do it anyway. I once saved having to return a smart device in for an audio problem by doing a reset. Google will replace it but unfortunately you will most likely get a refurb.

Kingfroman

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site

I've been having issues with mine too. When I plug it in to charge, it won't read the charger one way so I have to flip it and it reads it the other way. I have multiple pixel chargers so I know it's not the charger. I'm also on the q beta. It started in the middle of the cycle of beta 2. I'm going to factory reset mine soon and see if that does anything.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

https://youtu.be/OJisCKosTEE

Lint and debris can collect in the port, especially if you carry your phone loose in your pocket. If you search for "How to clean a USB C port" you'll get a lot of hits for videos and articles. The one above is just one I picked even though it's a lightning port. At least the guy isn't speaking Hindi or has an accent from Liverpool or Tunica, Mississippi.

Some recommended needles, some advised against metal, some used plastic probes, and one used some compressed air.

I took an LED light and looked inside my port and the back of the port is shiny metal and reflects light well if it's clean. Mine was. If it had crud I would have seen it.

So, give it a shot.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

So I just examined both the port on my 3XL and the cable I use in the car (it's a real Google cable) under magnification.

Both the phone port and the cable connector are clean and free of lint, etc. I will say that the cable is the end that has "spring" contacts whereas the phone simply has hard contacts printed on a bit of circuit board. So, the only thing I can see going wrong with the phone is possible corrosion/oxidation of the contact surfaces. I'm inclined to believe the problem is the cable.
@chezm said he purchased a new cable for his car and continues to have the same problem. Well, FWIW, back in the early Pixel 3 days, lots of people had problems connecting to Android Auto and/or charging using the same cables they used with their Pixel 2's - me included. Ultimately, it seemed that the only cables that worked reliably were those sold by Google. Read about it here: https://forums.androidcentral.com/google-pixel-3-pixel-3-xl/917224-android-auto.html

I may invest in a new Google cable for my car just to see if it makes a difference.

PS: My current cable works inconsistently when plugged in one way, and not at all when flipped and plugged in the other way.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

I was having trouble with mine. Hard to charge, cable wouldn't stay plugged in, headphone dongle didn't work, etc. Had the port cleaned and it works great.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Knock on wood, but mine has been fine since I got mine on launch day. The cable I use is actually one from Google, when they had a longer cable for sale; the 6' one, when I got the 1st gen Pixel.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

Knock on wood, but mine has been fine since I got mine on launch day. The cable I use is actually one from Google, when they had a longer cable for sale; the 6' one, when I got the 1st gen Pixel.

Mine, too. So was my Pixel 2 and my Pixel and all of my Nexus, although I detest USB micro. I don't carry my phone in my pocket, though.

If there was a small plastic USB c plug to keep debris out of the port I'd probably use one but then I also use a case and a screen protector.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

Mine, too. So was my Pixel 2 and my Pixel and all of my Nexus, although I detest USB micro. I don't carry my phone in my pocket, though.

If there was a small plastic USB c plug to keep debris out of the port I'd probably use one but then I also use a case and a screen protector.
Whenever I think of something someone should make, I search Amazon and usually find someone does make it.

PortPlugs - USB C Silicone Dust Plugs (10 Sets), Compatible with Samsung s10, s8, s9, Note 9, Pixel, Any Type C with Headset Jack (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071L12FX...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6582126

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

So this is the first time a port acting up has been a problem, I don't have a compressed air can or anything like that at the house (maybe I should try my leaf blower lol), using a thin piece of plastic and some paper towel covering I tried to clean the port but don't think it did a good job... Cable won't stay in. Every one using compressed air to clean? Anything else I can use?
Air compressor at 150 psi didn't help me at all. Too mine to a cell repair store, 360 Wireless, and they had me fixed up in 15 minutes. Although they charged me 15 bucks for it.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

Google sent me a replacement for a faulty port a couple of months ago. Just factory reset the phone ahead of time, because they'll ask you to do that before they'll send a replacement.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

FWIW, a new USB-A to USB-C cable, directly from Google, did not change anything regarding Android Auto connectivity. I still get inconsistent connections with the plug in one way and no connection at all when the plug is flipped over.

Amusing when you think about it - wasn't the big selling point for USB-C the fact that you didn't have to look at the plug to see which way to insert it?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

You have a bad connector. Nothing short of replacing the entire circuit board will help.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

You have a bad connector. Nothing short of replacing the entire circuit board will help.

Yes, indeed.

I just finished a chat with Google (Fi) Support; they are shipping the replacement today.

I have to say, I find it odd that, since they are shipping a refurbished device, they are using the full "new" sale price of $999 for the credit hold on my account until my current phone is returned.

Kinda ballsy, I think...

(can I say that? :) )

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

If you have a local repair shop Google contracts with, you can do local repair without this cross shipping. Google contracts with uBreakIfix stores.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis