Pixel 3 w/o a case long term

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I just went from a pixel 3a xl to a pixel 3. One of the things I liked about the pixel 3a xl was the plastic back. I felt like I didn't have to worry as much about the phone breaking. I also hate cases so that worked out for me. Now that I have the pixel 3 and not using a case I'm wondering if anyone else has done the same for an extended period of time and can attest to it's ability to withstand wear and tear.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Not me. I keep remembering the viral video of that girl who got an iPhone for a present and as she opened it, it fell to the floor and the screen shattered. I wish they came out of the box with a case. I like carrying my phone on my belt and my holster is a holster/case combo. Works for me.

I also have a case for my Kindle ereader. I've dropped my phone and my ereader more than once. I've only dropped my laptop once but fortunately it was in a case, too. The laptop case is only for transporting but the laptop doesn't come out of the case till I'm at a table or sitting down where I intend to use it. My only case complaint is for my laptop. My laptop is has odd dimensions so it doesn't actually fit any case. The one I use is a tad too small and most that I can get it in are way too big.

I am looking forward to responses from people who never use cases.

mrpackerguy

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
To each his own, but heck, phones ain't cheap, so why not give a little extra protection. Phones slip out of pockets, out of hands, off tables, etc. There are many cases that don't add much bulk or heft to the phone.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I do buy insurance for those catastrophic type events. I'm asking more so about day to day wear and tear. The little bumps and bruises a phone would get over 10 months of ownership without a case.
To each his own, but heck, phones ain't cheap, so why not give a little extra protection. Phones slip out of pockets, out of hands, off tables, etc. There are many cases that don't add much bulk or heft to the phone.

anthonium

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I do buy insurance for those catastrophic type events. I'm asking more so about day to day wear and tear. The little bumps and bruises a phone would get over 10 months of ownership without a case.

If you don't mind scratches and are confident you won't ever drop your phone, go without a case.

I tried going without a case for a bit but I rather avoid the hassle of replacing a phone. With the glass back on the Pixel 3 I'm not risking it.

I still miss aluminum backed phones. Now those I used caseless and didn't care about scratches or dings. Gave the phone a rugged gone through war look for me (if that makes sense).

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
I usually use a very thin case on all my phones. I have a Tottalee thin leather case on my Pixel 3. It only weighs 1/2 ounce and gives me a great feel. From other reports, the glass back on the Pixel 3 will scratch pretty easily. If you want it without a case, then you will get scratches. The really thin cases probably doesn't give much drop protection, but I like the feel of leather and no scratches when I sell it.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I ended up getting a shell/holster case from Verizon. It's not as thin as the totallee or veil cases but it still doesn't add much bulk. And it gives me a kickstand. I mainly got it for grip and to provide some armor for light drops/bumps

ahiqar

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
I've had the black pixel 3 (not xl) for 5 months. No case. Screen protector only. It's been fine. The only scratch or damage to the phone is because of a drop onto a hard floor that made a slight dent in one corner when the phone slipped out to my pocket when I was sitting in a chair. (The damage is hard to see unless you look closely.) I've dropped it other times with no damage at all.

There are no scratches on the back at all. No damage to the screen at all. It feels great in my hand. Not too slippery. I'm very careful.keep it in front right pocket of pants. Never anything else in that pocket.

I plan to keep going without a case as long as I have the phone.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I got tired of the Verizon shell/holster snap on case and already took it off. I just can't cover this thing up. I just hope that the removal of the case didn't cause any damage. Those snap on cases are tight. I'd mostly be concerned with it squeezing the phone too hard

ahiqar

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
I got tired of the Verizon shell/holster snap on case and already took it off. I just can't cover this thing up. I just hope that the removal of the case didn't cause any damage. Those snap on cases are tight. I'd mostly be concerned with it squeezing the phone too hard
Good for you! You'll enjoy it without the case.

I doubt your case did any damage.

BobLad

May 17, 2015
Visit site
I've had a Pixel3XL since they first came out. I don't have a case on it. I've never used a case or screen protector on any of the four phones I've had. None of them showed any significant signs of wear when I retired them.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac