Has anyone noticed that after you enter the destination, there is no screen that lets you select an alternative route other than the route maps chose?
    08-14-2019 05:06 PM
    Are you sure? If you type a destination or pick one from history, a screen comes up showing the route, time and distance. At least on mine there are grey lines allowing me to choose one of those, along with the time difference for each route. Perhaps you were in a location where there where no alternatives or the alternatives were such that Google assumed that you wouldn't take them. i.e. turning left into an neighborhood when the main route by-passed this unnecessary detour. You should be able to tap any of those grey lines and get a new route.

I feel Google could have done much better with its maps and navigation and have one several occasions written them requesting updates and changes. To date however they have only added missing locations but done nothing to improve their navigation, for example allowing you to exclude roads that are closed for construction or other reasons when the route offered is not viable. This is something VZ Navigator did, which I really liked until they were both charging and placing ads in the app.
    JStu313 likes this.
    08-14-2019 06:25 PM
    Thanks for responding. What you describe is very familiar to me because I've used that screen to do exactly what you described. When I put the same address in this time, the gray routes are not there. Today was the first time I saw the problem.
    08-14-2019 06:58 PM
    When Google fails to offer me the route I want, I just add a destination to force it.
    08-14-2019 09:54 PM
    Has anyone noticed that after you enter the destination, there is no screen that lets you select an alternative route other than the route maps chose?
    I can choose alternatives anytime after I enter the route
    Coop61 likes this.
    08-14-2019 10:24 PM
    08-14-2019 10:25 PM
    Thanks for responding. What you describe is very familiar to me because I've used that screen to do exactly what you described. When I put the same address in this time, the gray routes are not there. Today was the first time I saw the problem.
    Can you show us a screenshot where Google Maps doesn't offer those grey/alternative routes? We could try to duplicate that route and see what happens.
    08-14-2019 10:30 PM
    When I'm driving it shows me alternatives, however you can also freeze the map and show alternatives but hitting the routes button at the bottom and select a grey alternativeGoogle maps-screenshot_20190815-062819_maps.jpeg
    08-15-2019 05:32 AM
    I don't think the screenshots will be helpful. I'm using the full version of Google maps. I've used this route for many years and it always displayed the alternate routes on the 1st screen after I enter the destination. I'm traveling from Clayton NJ to Oceanview DE. The only thing that I did was to try Android Auto. I no longer use it and it's not loaded. I hope I've given you enough to help me. Thanks
    08-15-2019 06:18 AM
    I don't think the screenshots will be helpful. I'm using the full version of Google maps. I've used this route for many years and it always displayed the alternate routes on the 1st screen after I enter the destination. I'm traveling from Clayton NJ to Oceanview DE. The only thing that I did was to try Android Auto. I no longer use it and it's not loaded. I hope I've given you enough to help me. Thanks
    There's only one version of Google Maps.
    I showed you how to access the routes in my prior response. Are you not seeing the icon to pull up routes?
    08-15-2019 08:03 AM
    I checked that itinerary and, as you said, there's no alternative route, but I got one after selecting Vineland as starting point, even taking much more time. I guess Google maps "thinks" that any alternative route for your original search is an unnecessary detour. It's pretty much straight, I think, unless you want to arrive about an hour later.Google maps-screenshot_20190815-125143.jpegGoogle maps-screenshot_20190815-084018.jpeg
    08-15-2019 10:57 AM
    I appreciate your help. But I'm in Clayton NJ not in Vineland. I've used Google maps for years and alternative routes have always displayed. I'm taking the trip tomorrow. I'll just follow my usual route and let Maps adjust my route as I go. I'll keep trying to figure out what the problem is. But thanks for the help,
    08-15-2019 12:47 PM
    There's only one version of Google Maps.
    I showed you how to access the routes in my prior response. Are you not seeing the icon to pull up routes?
    I see the icon but it doesn't bring up alternate routes. Thanks for the suggestion. I know that if I stay with the problem, eventually I'll figure it out.
    08-15-2019 12:51 PM
    I appreciate your help. But I'm in Clayton NJ not in Vineland. I've used Google maps for years and alternative routes have always displayed. I'm taking the trip tomorrow. I'll just follow my usual route and let Maps adjust my route as I go. I'll keep trying to figure out what the problem is. But thanks for the help,
    Yes, I know that and my second screenshot starts in Clayton. Let us know how it goes and how Maps adjusts to your route.
    08-15-2019 01:06 PM
    Oh look, now I get three different routes from Clayton. I think it depends on the ferry schedule.
    Google maps-screenshot_20190815-153105.jpeg
    08-15-2019 01:32 PM
    Thanks for all your help. As I said above, I'm traveling tomorrow. I will give it a big test. Thanks again for your patience and help.
    08-15-2019 02:42 PM
    Make sure you choose avoid tolls
    Thanks for all your help. As I said above, I'm traveling tomorrow. I will give it a big test. Thanks again for your patience and help.
    08-15-2019 02:45 PM
    ;While I know the OP has embarked on their travels this was still getting to me. After looking at the screenshots and reading the banter I found this knowledge nugget, https://smartphones.gadgethacks.com/...-maps-0193097/, which I thought might explain things if the ferry schedule was a factor. I set the departure at midnight and at 1am and the ferry still showed up. So I looked at some of the other options, partly due to mustang7757's comment about toll roads, and the only way I am able to get one and only one routing option is to set the option to avoid ferries. Avoiding toll roads yielded at least two routes, avoiding highways yielded 3 but avoiding ferries only yielded one. Being from the area, I'd bet the OP has turned on avoid ferries at some point forgotten about it and this is the result. I turned on avoid highways once and couldn't figure out why a drive I know only takes 30 minutes was showing up as nearly an hour. It's a very easy thing to do and these options stay on forever until you turn them off. Now while me avoiding highways is something very noticeable because it is literally the fastest way to get around here in the heartland turning on something like avoiding ferries in an area where they are but you're not dependent on them I think could easily be overlooked or forgotten. I think we should have challenged the OP to pick any other location to see if the option returned vs. sticking with the same options we already saw weren't working.
    08-15-2019 08:00 PM