Hello - I have a P3 for almost a year now and have the warranty. Thinking about ponying up the money and getting a replacement for the screen. It's not cracked but it is severely chipped away in about 6-7 spots due to a drop and grind on gravely pavement.

Just wondering if people are seeing a repaired replacement sent or a brand new unit. And if a repaired replacement, are you losing the waterproof support?

On a side note, I do have a repair center in striking distance - it's obviously cheaper but for sure means it just gets repaired on the spot and maybe losing that waterproofing standard?

Thanks!
    09-16-2019 03:58 PM
    2 words.... OtterBox Defender. I have my pixel in one and it's protected like a vault from front to back. I would highly suggest getting the one that comes with a built-in screen protector.
    09-18-2019 05:47 AM
    Hello - I have a P3 for almost a year now and have the warranty. Thinking about ponying up the money and getting a replacement for the screen. It's not cracked but it is severely chipped away in about 6-7 spots due to a drop and grind on gravely pavement.

Just wondering if people are seeing a repaired replacement sent or a brand new unit. And if a repaired replacement, are you losing the waterproof support?

On a side note, I do have a repair center in striking distance - it's obviously cheaper but for sure means it just gets repaired on the spot and maybe losing that waterproofing standard?

Thanks!
    If you go through the Google protection plan, most likely you will get a refurbished unit.....not new. They would give you a new one if they were out of refurbs but that's unlikely. Refurbs are not necessarily a bad thing but you could end up with a device with issues. You can have it swapped out until you get a good one.
    minnemike likes this.
    09-18-2019 06:52 AM
    If you go through the Google protection plan, most likely you will get a refurbished unit.....not new. They would give you a new one if they were out of refurbs but that's unlikely. Refurbs are not necessarily a bad thing but you could end up with a device with issues. You can have it swapped out until you get a good one.
    And to addon you would still have waterproof phone it's refurbished from Google
    minnemike likes this.
    09-18-2019 07:34 AM
    And to addon you would still have waterproof phone it's refurbished from Google
    In theory you would still have a water resistant phone, however there no guarentee that water won't get into the device even on a new phone. Water damage isn't actually covered on any device regardless of its IP rating. If you have a damage protection plan then you are covered.
    minnemike likes this.
    09-18-2019 08:47 AM
    Totally not a fan of screen protectors but it certainly could have saved it... but guys like me buy the protection plan just so we dont have to use one. LOL
    J Dubbs likes this.
    09-18-2019 01:24 PM
    Thanks guys - answered everything I was wondering about among your 3 posts!
    09-18-2019 01:24 PM
    Thanks guys - answered everything I was wondering about among your 3 posts!
    You're welcome, anytime.
    09-18-2019 02:15 PM