Huge downside to no fingerprint on the 4

mrpackerguy

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
Several of my more sensitive secure apps: credit card, bank, use fingerprint scanner to open the app. Maybe they will go to face recognition at some point. Who knows. I think it's a deal killer for me.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
If it works equally good as Apple face unlock, shouldn't be a issue. But if they could of done both would been great.

Emperor

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
definitely going to miss the finger print reader. I'm thinking that Google will remove the FP reader with PXL4 and then bring it back with the PXL5. Like they did with the notch. It wasn't there on PXL2, here for PXL3, and gone for PXL4.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Several of my more sensitive secure apps: credit card, bank, use fingerprint scanner to open the app. Maybe they will go to face recognition at some point. Who knows. I think it's a deal killer for me.

That's a good point I didn't think of...... I don't bank on my current pixel, but was considering doing it when/if I picked up a pixel 4. From what I've seen, I think I would trust a fingerprint sensor over face id.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't trust voice or facial recognition and the fingerprint scanner on the back of the phone, where it belongs, his great. It's secure and convenient.

I set Google Assistant to open on voice command and had friends give it a try. It opened for more than a few. I haven't tried facial recognition but I've read about it opening for photos and people who were similar.

Here's hoping the Pixel 5 has a fingerprint reader.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
definitely going to miss the finger print reader. I'm thinking that Google will remove the FP reader with PXL4 and then bring it back with the PXL5. Like they did with the notch. It wasn't there on PXL2, here for PXL3, and gone for PXL4.
It's hard to say based on the behaviour from one feature to another

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
That's a good point I didn't think of...... I don't bank on my current pixel, but was considering doing it when/if I picked up a pixel 4. From what I've seen, I think I would trust a fingerprint sensor over face id.
There are different types. Based on the sensors it should be fairly accurate on the Pixel.

ronin_cse

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I seriously doubt we'll have to wait for developers to support it. I would be shocked if Google didn't take the same method as Apple and just plug in face unlock to the existing API that the FPS uses so it will just work with apps with no changes required in software.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't trust voice or facial recognition and the fingerprint scanner on the back of the phone, where it belongs, his great. It's secure and convenient.

I set Google Assistant to open on voice command and had friends give it a try. It opened for more than a few. I haven't tried facial recognition but I've read about it opening for photos and people who were similar.

Here's hoping the Pixel 5 has a fingerprint reader.

A classic case of fixing what isn't broken.

I'd miss it more for app unlocking than overall phone unlocking.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The only reason I bought my 2 was for the fingerprint - I already had a good flagship phone. Just one more reason for me to not upgrade to the 4.

mrpackerguy

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
I just checked which apps I use frequently that I have fingerprint ID to open :

Bank
Credit card
Car insurance
Access to my medical info thru my medical provider
Walgreens for my meds

So Google, if you're listening, I will not be upgrading to pixel 4 until you return fingerprint scanning to the device.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Not at all attacking the comments, these things concern me too. I have fingerprint access set up on a lot of apps. It's very convenient. I really like the Pixel fingerprint sensor. But... I kind of wonder if we will all be loving the face unlock in about 6 months.

I've watched my husband use Face ID on his iPhone for a long time now, most notably when he pays for something. It's a strange split-second behavior to watch from an Android perspective. I'm open to seeing how well it works. It will get integrated into apps eventually.

Of course, it could all be crap and we get a Pixel 5 with a fingerprint sensor again, Google brushing Face Unlock-gate under the rug.

beaner b

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
I just checked which apps I use frequently that I have fingerprint ID to open :

Bank
Credit card
Car insurance
Access to my medical info thru my medical provider
Walgreens for my meds

So Google, if you're listening, I will not be upgrading to pixel 4 until you return fingerprint scanning to the device.

Apple's Face ID replaced their Touch ID. All apps that accepted Touch (including banking apps) accepted Face ID. I would imagine Google has worked out the same arrangement. So if you have a face, you should be good.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Apple's Face ID replaced their Touch ID. All apps that accepted Touch (including banking apps) accepted Face ID. I would imagine Google has worked out the same arrangement. So if you have a face, you should be good.
I believe you are correct

mrpackerguy

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
I would hope that would be the case.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
The whole move to facial recognition never made sense to me.

1. The FPS is a secure, mature technology that adds negligible cost to a device, and has no downsides other than aesthetic. No issues with waterproofing.

2. FPS sensors have been known to be scratched up with no issue - good luck with that if the glass over the facial recognition sensors get scratched.

3. Twins and close family relations are not remotely likely to be able to be admitted use via FPS; same can't be said for facial recognition.

4. App culture has fully embraced FPS. As posted above, this will generate headaches for people till (and if) they fully embrace facial recognition.

5. Nobody is going to ever have a chance of tricking me into unwittingly unlocking my phone with my fingerprint. With facial recognition, all it would take is a "hey Jeremy" to get me to look their way, and someone had picked up my phone and pointed it towards me first...

6. With FPS one only has to be able to physically hold their phone to unlock it. Devices like the prior Pixels, with ergonomic rear placement, are so intuitive to unlock that most users will unlock them simply in the act of picking them up or pulling from a pocket unless they opt not to.

Facial recognition is cool, but it's a solution that didn't have a problem that wasn't already better solved. It's a shame they didn't retain the rear FPS alongside the facial recognition. Or, if they really wanted to clean up the back, integrate it into the power button as with the Slate.

I don't have any objection to facial recognition. I'm glad that they appear to have sought a more capable system approach with the addition of Soli sensors so that the sensors required solely to offer it have additional potential functionality to justify the space they take up. But dropping the FPS is definitely a step backwards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome