10-18-2019 10:27 AM
51 123
tools
    Several of my more sensitive secure apps: credit card, bank, use fingerprint scanner to open the app. Maybe they will go to face recognition at some point. Who knows. I think it's a deal killer for me.
    Coop61 and KPMcClave like this.
    09-21-2019 05:55 PM
    Several of my more sensitive secure apps: credit card, bank, use fingerprint scanner to open the app. Maybe they will go to face recognition at some point. Who knows. I think it's a deal killer for me.
    Same concern here.
    09-21-2019 09:26 PM
    If it works equally good as Apple face unlock, shouldn't be a issue. But if they could of done both would been great.
    EMGSM likes this.
    09-21-2019 09:38 PM
    If it works equally good as Apple face unlock, shouldn't be a issue. But if they could of done both would been great.
    It is an issue if those third party apps don't support it.
    brosko likes this.
    09-21-2019 10:02 PM
    It is an issue if those third party apps don't support it.
    I'm sure sure 3rd party apps would support it , like banking ect..
    09-21-2019 10:40 PM
    The big question is how long would it take for those app developers to incorporate it.
    kenorian, KPMcClave and brosko like this.
    09-22-2019 02:46 AM
    definitely going to miss the finger print reader. I'm thinking that Google will remove the FP reader with PXL4 and then bring it back with the PXL5. Like they did with the notch. It wasn't there on PXL2, here for PXL3, and gone for PXL4.
    09-22-2019 04:18 AM
    That's a good point I didn't think of...... I don't bank on my current pixel, but was considering doing it when/if I picked up a pixel 4. From what I've seen, I think I would trust a fingerprint sensor over face id.
    KPMcClave and Rukbat like this.
    09-22-2019 08:02 AM
    I don't trust voice or facial recognition and the fingerprint scanner on the back of the phone, where it belongs, his great. It's secure and convenient.

I set Google Assistant to open on voice command and had friends give it a try. It opened for more than a few. I haven't tried facial recognition but I've read about it opening for photos and people who were similar.

Here's hoping the Pixel 5 has a fingerprint reader.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    09-22-2019 08:45 AM
    definitely going to miss the finger print reader. I'm thinking that Google will remove the FP reader with PXL4 and then bring it back with the PXL5. Like they did with the notch. It wasn't there on PXL2, here for PXL3, and gone for PXL4.
    It's hard to say based on the behaviour from one feature to another
    09-22-2019 08:49 AM
    That's a good point I didn't think of...... I don't bank on my current pixel, but was considering doing it when/if I picked up a pixel 4. From what I've seen, I think I would trust a fingerprint sensor over face id.
    There are different types. Based on the sensors it should be fairly accurate on the Pixel.
    09-22-2019 08:52 AM
    I seriously doubt we'll have to wait for developers to support it. I would be shocked if Google didn't take the same method as Apple and just plug in face unlock to the existing API that the FPS uses so it will just work with apps with no changes required in software.
    09-22-2019 11:50 AM
    I don't trust voice or facial recognition and the fingerprint scanner on the back of the phone, where it belongs, his great. It's secure and convenient.

I set Google Assistant to open on voice command and had friends give it a try. It opened for more than a few. I haven't tried facial recognition but I've read about it opening for photos and people who were similar.

Here's hoping the Pixel 5 has a fingerprint reader.
    A classic case of fixing what isn't broken.

I'd miss it more for app unlocking than overall phone unlocking.
    09-22-2019 11:58 AM
    The only reason I bought my 2 was for the fingerprint - I already had a good flagship phone. Just one more reason for me to not upgrade to the 4.
    AnnDroid and brosko like this.
    09-22-2019 01:48 PM
    I just checked which apps I use frequently that I have fingerprint ID to open :

Bank
    Credit card
    Car insurance
    Access to my medical info thru my medical provider
    Walgreens for my meds

So Google, if you're listening, I will not be upgrading to pixel 4 until you return fingerprint scanning to the device.
    09-22-2019 05:06 PM
    Not at all attacking the comments, these things concern me too. I have fingerprint access set up on a lot of apps. It's very convenient. I really like the Pixel fingerprint sensor. But... I kind of wonder if we will all be loving the face unlock in about 6 months.

I've watched my husband use Face ID on his iPhone for a long time now, most notably when he pays for something. It's a strange split-second behavior to watch from an Android perspective. I'm open to seeing how well it works. It will get integrated into apps eventually.

Of course, it could all be crap and we get a Pixel 5 with a fingerprint sensor again, Google brushing Face Unlock-gate under the rug.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    09-22-2019 05:55 PM
    I just checked which apps I use frequently that I have fingerprint ID to open :

Bank
    Credit card
    Car insurance
    Access to my medical info thru my medical provider
    Walgreens for my meds

So Google, if you're listening, I will not be upgrading to pixel 4 until you return fingerprint scanning to the device.
    Apple's Face ID replaced their Touch ID. All apps that accepted Touch (including banking apps) accepted Face ID. I would imagine Google has worked out the same arrangement. So if you have a face, you should be good.
    Not Quite Right and Davidoo like this.
    09-22-2019 06:00 PM
    Apple's Face ID replaced their Touch ID. All apps that accepted Touch (including banking apps) accepted Face ID. I would imagine Google has worked out the same arrangement. So if you have a face, you should be good.
    I believe you are correct
    09-22-2019 06:54 PM
    I would hope that would be the case.
    09-23-2019 07:30 AM
    The whole move to facial recognition never made sense to me.

1. The FPS is a secure, mature technology that adds negligible cost to a device, and has no downsides other than aesthetic. No issues with waterproofing.

2. FPS sensors have been known to be scratched up with no issue - good luck with that if the glass over the facial recognition sensors get scratched.

3. Twins and close family relations are not remotely likely to be able to be admitted use via FPS; same can't be said for facial recognition.

4. App culture has fully embraced FPS. As posted above, this will generate headaches for people till (and if) they fully embrace facial recognition.

5. Nobody is going to ever have a chance of tricking me into unwittingly unlocking my phone with my fingerprint. With facial recognition, all it would take is a "hey Jeremy" to get me to look their way, and someone had picked up my phone and pointed it towards me first...

6. With FPS one only has to be able to physically hold their phone to unlock it. Devices like the prior Pixels, with ergonomic rear placement, are so intuitive to unlock that most users will unlock them simply in the act of picking them up or pulling from a pocket unless they opt not to.

Facial recognition is cool, but it's a solution that didn't have a problem that wasn't already better solved. It's a shame they didn't retain the rear FPS alongside the facial recognition. Or, if they really wanted to clean up the back, integrate it into the power button as with the Slate.

I don't have any objection to facial recognition. I'm glad that they appear to have sought a more capable system approach with the addition of Soli sensors so that the sensors required solely to offer it have additional potential functionality to justify the space they take up. But dropping the FPS is definitely a step backwards.
    KPMcClave, superprime and brosko like this.
    09-23-2019 03:27 PM
    The whole move to facial recognition never made sense to me.

1. The FPS is a secure, mature technology that adds negligible cost to a device, and has no downsides other than aesthetic. No issues with waterproofing.

2. FPS sensors have been known to be scratched up with no issue - good luck with that if the glass over the facial recognition sensors get scratched.

3. Twins and close family relations are not remotely likely to be able to be admitted use via FPS; same can't be said for facial recognition.

4. App culture has fully embraced FPS. As posted above, this will generate headaches for people till (and if) they fully embrace facial recognition.

5. Nobody is going to ever have a chance of tricking me into unwittingly unlocking my phone with my fingerprint. With facial recognition, all it would take is a "hey Jeremy" to get me to look their way, and someone had picked up my phone and pointed it towards me first...

6. With FPS one only has to be able to physically hold their phone to unlock it. Devices like the prior Pixels, with ergonomic rear placement, are so intuitive to unlock that most users will unlock them simply in the act of picking them up or pulling from a pocket unless they opt not to.

Facial recognition is cool, but it's a solution that didn't have a problem that wasn't already better solved. It's a shame they didn't retain the rear FPS alongside the facial recognition. Or, if they really wanted to clean up the back, integrate it into the power button as with the Slate.

I don't have any objection to facial recognition. I'm glad that they appear to have sought a more capable system approach with the addition of Soli sensors so that the sensors required solely to offer it have additional potential functionality to justify the space they take up. But dropping the FPS is definitely a step backwards.
    I think it's safe to say If we went by changes that made sense we'd have very few changes.
    09-23-2019 04:20 PM
    I think it's safe to say If we went by changes that made sense we'd have very few changes.

That's not even remotely true.

"Necessity is the mother of invention."

As I posted previously, this was a solution without a problem.
    09-23-2019 06:22 PM
    That's not even remotely true.

"Necessity is the mother of invention."

As I posted previously, this was a solution without a problem.
    In your opinion it's not remotely, true but that doesnt make my statement less true because that's my opinion.

We've had lots of changes no one asked for that were rammed down our throats. Its possible you liked those changes and felt them neccessary but many would disagree.

Everyone is different and what may be irrelevant to you or I may be relevant to someone else. If you want examples of changes that I felt were unnecessary I can list them for you, but I'm sure you can think of some.
    09-23-2019 07:58 PM
    In your opinion it's not remotely, true but that doesnt make my statement less true because that's my opinion.

We've had lots of changes no one asked for that were rammed down our throats. Its possible you liked those changes and felt them neccessary but many would disagree.

Everyone is different and what may be irrelevant to you or I may be relevant to someone else. If you want examples of changes that I felt were unnecessary I can list them for you, but I'm sure you can think of some.
    You didn't say they were not asked for, irrelevant, you didn't like them, or anything other than, "I think it's safe to say If we went by changes that made sense we'd have very few changes."

More changes than not make sense. I'd rather have better battery life than an ultra-slim phone. However, the desire to make phones thinner makes sense to me, even if I may not prefer that.
    09-24-2019 06:18 AM
    You didn't say they were not asked for, irrelevant, you didn't like them, or anything other than, "I think it's safe to say If we went by changes that made sense we'd have very few changes."

More changes than not make sense. I'd rather have better battery life than an ultra-slim phone. However, the desire to make phones thinner makes sense to me, even if I may not prefer that.
    I made a general statement up front. I expanded upon that statement. Not clear why I need to explain myself. Everyone can have an opinion without being told it's not even remotely true. Truth is... your truth is different than my truth because we all have different perspectives. I stated my opinion and did not come here to debate its potential truth.
    09-24-2019 08:52 AM
51 123