Leaving Pixel considered....

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I started with smartphones with a Nexus 5, I think, and just stayed. I liked having the new versions of Android as they came out and I like have Android without any bloat. I tried a Samsung, briefly, and the bloat was horrible. One of the reasons I waited so long is I'm deaf enough to not use the phone for calls. That and a friend pointed out that if I had a cell phone they could get in touch whenever they wanted. I didn't like that, either.

Things have changed. We now have Android One, which is close to basic Android, and even skins such as Oxygen One which is close enough to upgrade shortly after a new Android arrives. I have bought Xiaomi Android One phones for my nephews and they're pretty good.

With my Nexus 5 I started using Google Calendar, Google Keep, some dictionaries, contacts, and GMail. I started texting with a few friends and used Messages. But, I was carrying a DSLR at the time. I enjoy taking photos.

Two years ago I got tired of my DSLR, due to expense and weight, and decided to use my Pixel phone exclusively for six months. I never went back.

Today I have the Pixel 3. I think Pixel's GCam is great. All through the years with Pixel phones I felt the GCam was great but the camera and the phone were merely adequate. Having a great camera program but a screen you couldn't see in sunlight was not good. I had friends with Samsung phones and I could see their screen in sunlight. Other phones were faster with more RAM and more memory.

So, I've read about the Pixel 4. I've read it will be more expensive than the Pixel 3 and that was pushing it for me. Some of the new spiffy features like gestures in the air won't be available in Mexico where I live. Actually, other interesting features aren't available in Mexico.

The OnePlus 7t sounds like a stellar piece of hardware at under $600. The camera has three lens and although reports on the OnePlus camera app are good you can download Gcam for the OnePlus to use, too.

So, I'm seriously considering the OnePlus 7t for my next camera. Any thoughts? Opinions? Ideas? Whatever?

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I started with smartphones with a Nexus 5, I think, and just stayed. I liked having the new versions of Android as they came out and I like have Android without any bloat. I tried a Samsung, briefly, and the bloat was horrible. One of the reasons I waited so long is I'm deaf enough to not use the phone for calls. That and a friend pointed out that if I had a cell phone they could get in touch whenever they wanted. I didn't like that, either.

Things have changed. We now have Android One, which is close to basic Android, and even skins such as Oxygen One which is close enough to upgrade shortly after a new Android arrives. I have bought Xiaomi Android One phones for my nephews and they're pretty good.

With my Nexus 5 I started using Google Calendar, Google Keep, some dictionaries, contacts, and GMail. I started texting with a few friends and used Messages. But, I was carrying a DSLR at the time. I enjoy taking photos.

Two years ago I got tired of my DSLR, due to expense and weight, and decided to use my Pixel phone exclusively for six months. I never went back.

Today I have the Pixel 3. I think Pixel's GCam is great. All through the years with Pixel phones I felt the GCam was great but the camera and the phone were merely adequate. Having a great camera program but a screen you couldn't see in sunlight was not good. I had friends with Samsung phones and I could see their screen in sunlight. Other phones were faster with more RAM and more memory.

So, I've read about the Pixel 4. I've read it will be more expensive than the Pixel 3 and that was pushing it for me. Some of the new spiffy features like gestures in the air won't be available in Mexico where I live. Actually, other interesting features aren't available in Mexico.

The OnePlus 7t sounds like a stellar piece of hardware at under $600. The camera has three lens and although reports on the OnePlus camera app are good you can download Gcam for the OnePlus to use, too.

So, I'm seriously considering the OnePlus 7t for my next camera. Any thoughts? Opinions? Ideas? Whatever?
Try it and report back. I'm interested in the 7t also.

jaybotinc

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site

It looks like a super cool phone to me.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
So I had the 6T (actually still have it). I left the Pixel 2 for it last fall because at the time I felt the price of the Pixel 3 was to much, and I still stand behind that opinion and because it had a big flat screen and I watch a fair amount of video on my phone. Also, I had a lot of issues with the Pixel 2 and went through three of them with hardware issues. For quite awhile I loved the 6T and I still think it was far superior to the Pixel 2 in most ways. I felt the camera was better than reported as I always got very good shots with it using the stock OnePlus Camera App because gcam always was a little buggy and my favorite thing to do when I want to snap a pic is to double tap the power button to launch which wouldn't work with gcam on the 6T.

A lot of things I like about Oxygen OS, fast and fluid, some neat customization that I really never fully utilized to be honest. I'm not a big mobile gamer, I play a couple but nothing to graphically intensive to need the hardware. And that's what the OnePlus phones are geared for, gaming and performance.

What ended up bringing me back to the Pixel line with the Pixel 3 I have now was a couple of things. First, the integration with Google services. Yes, you can use them with the OnePlus device but some stuff just doesn't always quite work like you would like. It just doesn't feel like it's meant to work with the phone. Assistant was always a fight, and things like Android messages didn't work as well either. The camera, while solid on the 6T and probably better on the 7T, just isn't what you get with a pixel. Finally, the size. Man was that thing a big heavy tank. I know, it's only a few ounces but it was hard to handle one handed and never fit well in my pocket. It was hard to sit down without taking it out. Plus, it had almost no top or bottom bezel and frankly, I want a little on the top and bottom. It actually makes it easier to type. I couldn't hold the thing and reach the bottom of the keyboard without it falling out of my hands unless I was using the three button navigation.

I ended up getting my Pixel 3 for $300 off and coming back to the Pixel with the Pixel 3 has been refreshing. Yes, the OnePlus is a beast of a device but there is a level of refinement that comes with the Pixel 3 ( that the Pixel 2 didn't have IMHO). That said, the OnePlus battery life is fantastic and smokes the Pixel 3. I don't think you can go wrong with either but if you like Google's services and the integration you get with a pixel is second to none on Android. However if you are just wanting to try something different OnePlus would be my second choice. For me it's a far better experience than I ever had on any Samsung, LG or HTC device.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
It seems like Google just continues to put out phones with mediocre hardware and flagship pricing, and are relying on the "pure" Android experience and "pixel" camera to sell them. So far that's failed with every pixel line, they've had to drop the prices to get phones moving out the door. Not to mention the class action lawsuits with the 6P and original pixel.

You can get close to stock Android on many phones now, and sometimes a light skin can be better than vanilla Android. And many other phone cameras have caught up to the pixel. Besides I'm not a big fan of being the beta tester for a brand new os each year, I'd rather get it a little later when most of the bugs have been worked out. I feel the same about monthly updates..... I don't need one every month to keep me feeling all warm and fuzzy. I've used phones for several years before that weren't getting ANY updates and I had no problems whatsoever..... but then I'm pretty careful about how I use my phone which is the best form of security anyways.

My phone was working awesome until Android 10 was shoved down my throat, now of course it's starting to develop small but annoying problems :-[

I'm going to use my current pixel up and most likely try something else....... I'm sick of Google trying to charge flagship prices for mid-range phones, and I hate that I can't refuse an os upgrade without having to go into developer options which can bring it's own set of problems. Plus hearing that the 4 is going to cost more than the 3, when they can't even sell 3's unless they drop the price $300 has pretty much made me realize that it's time to try something else.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
My android 10 is working fine and since I was eagerly awaiting its release I certainly can't say it was shoved down my throat. I wouldn't assume that when Samsung or another manufacturer released their version of Android 10 it's devoid of Android's bugs and doesn't add a few of it's own.

I am curious about Oxygen OS or Android One not integrating with stock Android. I did notice on a nephews Xiaomi with Android One that it had a different camera app from Gcam.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
GCam is nice, but without the Visual Core chip it still takes time to get HDR+ or Night Sight pictures. For wide angle and tele shots, there are some pretty good aux lens kits available (ike a not too large 18X tele that doesn't vignette). The 3 and 4 don't seem to be much of an iprovement, so I'm sticking with my 2, at least until the updates stop (in about a year), then we'll see. My only problem with OP is that Otterbox stopped at the 5. The 7T sounds like a nice phone for the money otherwise.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site

7T NOT going to have a better camera than your Pixel 3. Why not keep pixel 3 for another year? Why rush? That camera will continue to be top if the line camera for at least another year or two.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It seems like Google just continues to put out phones with mediocre hardware and flagship pricing, and are relying on the "pure" Android experience and "pixel" camera to sell them. So far that's failed with every pixel line, they've had to drop the prices to get phones moving out the door. Not to mention the class action lawsuits with the 6P and original pixel.

You can get close to stock Android on many phones now, and sometimes a light skin can be better than vanilla Android. And many other phone cameras have caught up to the pixel. Besides I'm not a big fan of being the beta tester for a brand new os each year, I'd rather get it a little later when most of the bugs have been worked out. I feel the same about monthly updates..... I don't need one every month to keep me feeling all warm and fuzzy. I've used phones for several years before that weren't getting ANY updates and I had no problems whatsoever..... but then I'm pretty careful about how I use my phone which is the best form of security anyways.

My phone was working awesome until Android 10 was shoved down my throat, now of course it's starting to develop small but annoying problems :-[

I'm going to use my current pixel up and most likely try something else....... I'm sick of Google trying to charge flagship prices for mid-range phones, and I hate that I can't refuse an os upgrade without having to go into developer options which can bring it's own set of problems. Plus hearing that the 4 is going to cost more than the 3, when they can't even sell 3's unless they drop the price $300 has pretty much made me realize that it's time to try something else.
What other phone/manufacturer are you thinking about trying out?

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
7T NOT going to have a better camera than your Pixel 3. Why not keep pixel 3 for another year? Why rush? That camera will continue to be top if the line camera for at least another year or two.

I have certainly considered that. But, I'm 78-years old. I might not make it another year although I'm sure my Pixel 3 will. My only complaint with the Pixel is the screen brightness. My opthamologist pointed out that my eyes are getting old and I pointed out that they're the same age as my toes, my years, and some other body parts. I would like a brighter screen for shooting outdoors, in southern Mexico, at 5,000 feet.

I have tried some auxiliary lens on my Pixel. The first required a special case for attachment and when I asked the company about vignetting their response was, "It's the Pixel's larger sensor that's the problem. Crop the picture." I gave the lens to a nephew. I tried another set of lens and they ended up going to a nephew because they were a nuisance. If I wanted that I'd drag my DSLR out of the closet.

Keeping the Pixel 3, at least until the Pixel 4a comes out, is a viable option.

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Considered for a while now and did, bought Note 10. Will see what Pixel 4 is all about, but I doubt it's anything exciting

Camera can possibly make me buy Pixel 4 but it's not just about the quality, with P4 you simply can't takes pictures that Note can take with ease thanks to wide angle cam and remote shutter button

STiK

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Gave my Pixel 3 to my mother and now use a Pixel 3a XL. If Google continues the A series, I'll keep buying them. After using this phone, I'll have a hard time shelling out $800+ for a phone again.

Reg Robinson

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
The Pixel 3 has been excellent for me. The timely updates, consistently great camera, uncluttered apps, and very smart assistant integration have delivered exactly the experience I was hoping for. I have even enjoyed the front facing speakers. My wife's Pixel 3 experience was horrid. She went through three evil Pixel replacements before giving up on Pixel 3. Go figure. Still, I'm staying with Pixels until Google gives me a reason not to.

postup14

Oct 9, 2019
Visit site
I actually called my corporate provider yesterday to see if I can switch. Unfortunately, past the 30-day return window and they're referring me to Google. Not interested in a potential refurbished one, so I guess I'll stick with my new Pixel 3.

I had the Pixel 1 and loves it, for the most part. Battery was horrible.

The 3 has been laggy and call quality is complete trash. People have hung up on me because they can't hear anything for the first 3-5 seconds.

At least the price is right.

Started with Nokia, then Blackberry, then iPhone, then S4, then Pixel 1 and 3. Maybe I am a phone ****.

I'll probably go back to Galaxy line after this one. Almost went for S10 this time; wish I had.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Considered for a while now and did, bought Note 10. Will see what Pixel 4 is all about, but I doubt it's anything exciting

Camera can possibly make me buy Pixel 4 but it's not just about the quality, with P4 you simply can't takes pictures that Note can take with ease thanks to wide angle cam and remote shutter button

I have a remote shutter release that I tried out, worked fine, and I've never needed.

Eric Rey

Oct 9, 2019
Visit site
Ill be leaving Pixel thanks to Google support…. 3 months, no resolution, still ongoing
… And it’s made me regret purchasing an otherwise amazing phone (clean software mostly) that Google puts out. However, I’m afraid the lack of support has convinced me I’ll never buy Google hardware again.

A little background: Loyal iPhone user all the way back to the iPhone 3G, upgrading usually every two years without ever considering the competition. Frustrated with Apple innovation in recent years and with Google Assistant deeply integrated at home, the switch made sense so I pre-ordered the Pixel 3 XL.

Fast forward 10 months, here’s my issue: In early August I began having call audio issues with my Pixel 3 XL. No matter what carrier or person on the other end of the line, they wouldn’t hear me until about 10-15 seconds after the call initiated. So, I began my Google “support” journey. I logged on and initiated a chat; the agent did his thing and after some time, determined that a warranty exchange claim needed to be processed. So I waited..

A couple of days later I got an email letting me know that my replacement device has been shipped. Great! When I received my replacement device I opened the box and, to my surprise, the device was damaged. The back glass was loose, and the camera and fingerprint sensor were off-center and scratched. My original phone was mint compared to the replacement, so I was not about to accept a damaged replacement. I called Google and, honestly, I couldn’t believe the response. They told me to go ahead and return the damaged replacement, and that I would need to “wait to put in another exchange claim until they had a black 128 GB refurb unit in inventory”….wait, what??

So, what you’re saying is that I need to deal with my audio issue until you have refurb inventory? That’s completely unacceptable and beyond poor customer service. I escalated several times and was told the same thing over and over. I work in the Telecom industry, so I know what industry standard warranty exchange policy is: If you don’t have a refurb replacement, you send new. Period. After speaking with two different “supervisors” with “no one above them”, I kept getting the same response. Unacceptable. I told them I’d like to speak with a North America Supervisor/Manager, and over the last 2 months, exchanging emails, angry tweets, etc… STILL NO RESPONSE OR RESOLUTION. I am tired, frustrated, and recently everyone around me with iPhones keeps reminding me they had a “similar” issue and got it resolved immediately at an Apple Store. That makes it sting a little more…

It’s now October, my son dropped my phone and cracked a small part of the screen a couple of weeks ago. When I call Assurant (because I bought the Google protection at pre order) for a screen repair claim, they tell me the IMEI doesn’t match and Google switched my original phones IMEI on the policy with the IMEI of the BROKEN REFURB I SENT BACK! Yes, the refurb they told me to send back. You’d think they would know not to switch the IMEI on the policy, but… no.

My pixel experience has been great, up until I needed support from Google because of their crap hardware reliability. Because of this, I’ll be switching from the Pixel line no matter what they come out with next…. Just haven’t decided what I’ll be switching to!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I have certainly considered that. But, I'm 78-years old. I might not make it another year although I'm sure my Pixel 3 will. My only complaint with the Pixel is the screen brightness. My opthamologist pointed out that my eyes are getting old and I pointed out that they're the same age as my toes, my years, and some other body parts. I would like a brighter screen for shooting outdoors, in southern Mexico, at 5,000 feet.

I have tried some auxiliary lens on my Pixel. The first required a special case for attachment and when I asked the company about vignetting their response was, "It's the Pixel's larger sensor that's the problem. Crop the picture." I gave the lens to a nephew. I tried another set of lens and they ended up going to a nephew because they were a nuisance. If I wanted that I'd drag my DSLR out of the closet.

Keeping the Pixel 3, at least until the Pixel 4a comes out, is a viable option.

Interesting, I used the Moment wide, tele and anamorphic lens with the Pixel and didn't experience vignetting.

kizz23

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Been with Google since the G1, then Nexus line and now Pixel. Google needs to stop playing games and really release an iPhone killer. Bigger battery and better video more colors...everything! They also need to respect the smaller form factor and give it a big battery. First time I didn't buy the latest phone was Pixel 3. I'm almost giving up waiting to see reviews on Pixel 4.

Sep 29, 2017
Visit site
I loved my Pixel 2XL. Had a couple issues with battery life, and was screwed on pre-order. I ordered as soon as the announcement was made, and didn't receive my phone (Panda version) until two months later in December. The WEEK after I finally got it, it was reduced by £100. Thankfully, I was able to return the phone for a refund and re-buy the phone at £100 less!
Had a couple of issues with battery life, unfortunately, and the screen micro-scratched so easily! I got a couple of replacements during this time for the battery life.

Having contacted Google a few times with Nexus 6P and Pixel 2XL issues, the one thing I cannot fault as a UK Google customer is their support. The fact that once the standard fault finding has been done with their chat or phone support and the issue persists, they'll send you a replacement FIRST before you send the faulty one back. That is by far the best service I've had when having to do any kind of warranty claim. Yes, a hold is put on your account, but as long as you're genuine, no money is taken. Well, as long as you bought the phone from the Google store, anyway.

Unfortunately, the battery life just wasn't great for me, so I moved across to the S10+ when that came out. Last Samsung phone was an S3, and Touchwiz was bloody awful. One UI is so much better, and has a lot more useful stuff than stock! I actually don't mind the security update schedule, as although it's not the first week of the month (normally), it's still within the same month. Way better than it used to be!

I do miss that 2XL camera though.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I've migrated from my Pixel 2XL to the Note 10+. I have nothing really against the Pixel. It served me well. I'm just looking for more power, features, flexibility, and polish. Samsung's Note 10+ finally showed me enough this year to make the switch. I've pushed aside most of the non-Note-specific bloat and am using the Google apps I've always used; but now I've got the extra features I've been craving (including the S-Pen), expandable storage, and Samsung Pay's MST support.

One UI is toned down enough that I can deal with it (although I did install Nova). Overall, I'm very happy with the Note 10+ and don't really miss my Pixel 2XL. Going back to Android 9 was a little jarring, but One UI already has much of what Android 10 offers in terms of UX. Essentially, Android is mature enough that I'm still satisfied with performance even moving up or down a version.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar