Leaving Pixel considered....

mrssnipe

Oct 9, 2019
Visit site
I've been Android since it first drop. G1 by HTC! I loved that phone my first smart phone was actually a windows smart phone and of course I had a sidekick... anyway. I had the Pixel 2 XL and have gone the route of One Plus 7 Pro. I refuse to keep paying more and more... phones are getting close to car prices. My experience with One plus is good so far. I've had it since July. It hasn't slowed down battery is pretty good and warp charge is even better. I'm actually trying to wean myself off of google stuff so this is a great phone for that. Good Luck on your hunt for a new phone

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
I started with smartphones with a Nexus 5, I think, and just stayed. I liked having the new versions of Android as they came out and I like have Android without any bloat. I tried a Samsung, briefly, and the bloat was horrible. One of the reasons I waited so long is I'm deaf enough to not use the phone for calls. That and a friend pointed out that if I had a cell phone they could get in touch whenever they wanted. I didn't like that, either.

Things have changed. We now have Android One, which is close to basic Android, and even skins such as Oxygen One which is close enough to upgrade shortly after a new Android arrives. I have bought Xiaomi Android One phones for my nephews and they're pretty good.

With my Nexus 5 I started using Google Calendar, Google Keep, some dictionaries, contacts, and GMail. I started texting with a few friends and used Messages. But, I was carrying a DSLR at the time. I enjoy taking photos.

Two years ago I got tired of my DSLR, due to expense and weight, and decided to use my Pixel phone exclusively for six months. I never went back.

Today I have the Pixel 3. I think Pixel's GCam is great. All through the years with Pixel phones I felt the GCam was great but the camera and the phone were merely adequate. Having a great camera program but a screen you couldn't see in sunlight was not good. I had friends with Samsung phones and I could see their screen in sunlight. Other phones were faster with more RAM and more memory.

So, I've read about the Pixel 4. I've read it will be more expensive than the Pixel 3 and that was pushing it for me. Some of the new spiffy features like gestures in the air won't be available in Mexico where I live. Actually, other interesting features aren't available in Mexico.

The OnePlus 7t sounds like a stellar piece of hardware at under $600. The camera has three lens and although reports on the OnePlus camera app are good you can download Gcam for the OnePlus to use, too.

So, I'm seriously considering the OnePlus 7t for my next camera. Any thoughts? Opinions? Ideas? Whatever?

The OnePlus 7T is one of the best if not the best phone you can buy for under $600. The camera is excellent (although not quite as good or versatile as Samsung/Google/Huawei’s) though downloading Gcam will probably solve any issues.

A 3700mAh battery, FHD 6.4 inch OLED display, 48MP + 5MP setup with OIS, really fast charging, 8GB/128GB with a Snapdragon 855 and great software (and update support) ticks all the right boxes. I would say go ahead if you eventually upgrade from the Pixel 3.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I've been Android since it first drop. G1 by HTC! I loved that phone my first smart phone was actually a windows smart phone and of course I had a sidekick... anyway. I had the Pixel 2 XL and have gone the route of One Plus 7 Pro. I refuse to keep paying more and more... phones are getting close to car prices. My experience with One plus is good so far. I've had it since July. It hasn't slowed down battery is pretty good and warp charge is even better. I'm actually trying to wean myself off of google stuff so this is a great phone for that. Good Luck on your hunt for a new phone
Car prices?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The OnePlus 7T is one of the best if not the best phone you can buy for under $600. The camera is excellent (although not quite as good or versatile as Samsung/Google/Huawei’s) though downloading Gcam will probably solve any issues.

A 3700mAh battery, FHD 6.4 inch OLED display, 48MP + 5MP setup with OIS, really fast charging, 8GB/128GB with a Snapdragon 855 and great software (and update support) ticks all the right boxes. I would say go ahead if you eventually upgrade from the Pixel 3.
The Gcam port is a bit of a mixed bag. It's a pain on some phones to get it to work with multiple cameras. Certain modes are slower without the visual core. Can't argue with the price of the OnePlus but if it were me I would wait for a deal on a more expensive device instead. In my case I can't use it on Verizon anyway but that's not what I'm basing my opinion on.

Dvs1j

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I left the Pixel XL 3 for s10+. I didnt leave cause I hated pixel, I left cause I got over $800 in credits and freebie's. If Samsung and Google could make it work, do Pure Android with nothing else, but Samsung made phones like the older GPE devices, you would have a nonstop killing phone each and every year! I know the One UI is better than TouchWiz, but its still there. So many stupid programs, Bixby remapping, two browsers, two appstores... Ugh just stop. Next will be Samsung maps! LOL I will be going with PXL4 or 1+7Pro as my main device in near future.

Giancarlo Brando

Oct 10, 2019
Visit site
I've considered getting a Google Pixel for many years but my friends who've used one, have often complained about issues they had with their devices so I never ended up buying one.

I've been using my Sony Xperia XZ2 for a while now and I gotta say, I love it. Sure the camera isn't the best but the UI is very close to stock Android and the bloatware is minimal. The battery may not be the biggest either but Sony's Stamina Mode works great and if you adjust which apps use/don't use the battery in the background, then you can get through a whole day and a half on a single charge. I usually average 6-6.5hrs of SOT and I'm a heavy media consumer and I multi-task. I don't take that many pictures to the point where I need the best camera so I don't really need a Google Pixel and the camera I have on my Sony Xperia XZ2 is great enough for Instagram and Facebook so I couldn't be happier with my choice.

It's a very underrated phone and one I plan to hold on to for a long time as I've read about the longevity of Sony Xperia devices.

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I have a remote shutter release that I tried out, worked fine, and I've never needed.

When its built in, that's when u use it. I use it all the time now and I could only wish for this feature on my last few vacations.
I have never used night sight on Pixel yet......

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I've been with Google for many a year. All the way back to the HTC EVO. Had my Nexuses from the Gnex to the 5X. They all had some issues but quick updates and fixed made it tolerable.

I was looking forward to the Pixel then they got stupid and priced it at points the hardware nor the software could support. I stopped Cold Turkey with them and haven't been back.

I'm still on stock with the Nokia 6.1. does just about everything I could do on the Pixel at less than half the price.

If they're this stupid 💀 keep the prices sky high in light of the iPhone 11 coming in at 700. It's going to be a bigger blood bath than last year.

As it is I'm thinking of jumping ship to iPhone. I know I know sacrilege you say. I'm just not as comfortable with the practices Google has been doing. Might just try some of the dark side.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
When its built in, that's when u use it. I use it all the time now and I could only wish for this feature on my last few vacations.
I have never used night sight on Pixel yet......
Though I have the Note 10+, most of the shots I take remotely I do so with a mini gorilla pod. It came with a small Bluetooth remote that stores itself on the pod.

WontonSoup

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same boat, I've owned every Nexus and Pixel device with the exception of the Nexus 6. After buying the Pixel 3, which I do like overall, I don't think it was worth $799 personally. The Pixel 3a made it that decision sting even worse because I don't take pictures enough to where I would miss the visual core. After this Pixel 3 I'm pretty much done with the "flagship" line of devices. I'll do the "a" lines if they continue past this point or I'll find something else. I've actually been tempted to try iPhones out since I haven't tried them since the 1st iPhone.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm in the same boat, I've owned every Nexus and Pixel device with the exception of the Nexus 6. After buying the Pixel 3, which I do like overall, I don't think it was worth $799 personally. The Pixel 3a made it that decision sting even worse because I don't take pictures enough to where I would miss the visual core. After this Pixel 3 I'm pretty much done with the "flagship" line of devices. I'll do the "a" lines if they continue past this point or I'll find something else. I've actually been tempted to try iPhones out since I haven't tried them since the 1st iPhone.
I like the 3a line
I got it after I use my pix 3xl for the Note 10+ trade in .

Derek Gammage

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Just waiting on the pixel 4 release event to see if any surprises happen. I doubt it with all the leaks. If no surprises, I'm pulling the trigger on a 7T. Poor battery life on pixel 3 XL and to be honest I've grown to hate the notch. Didn't mind it at first but everyone else utilizes as much screen space possible why can't Google. And why can't Google use the best components available?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Just waiting on the pixel 4 release event to see if any surprises happen. I doubt it with all the leaks. If no surprises, I'm pulling the trigger on a 7T. Poor battery life on pixel 3 XL and to be honest I've grown to hate the notch. Didn't mind it at first but everyone else utilizes as much screen space possible why can't Google. And why can't Google use the best components available?
Google truly did pull out a lot of leaks with the Google Pixel 4 - I wonder if they are holding anything back. Perhaps not! But I guess we'll find out!

waterrockets

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I've had only Google phones since the Nexus 4, other than one foray into the Moto X. The Google phones all have a handful of minor annoyances, but nothing that compares to the 3rd party phones and their spins on Android. I can't stand bloatware and sharing ownership of my phone. I can't stand delayed updates, and Google fixes that for me (if I'm worried about a major version, I'll just wait to download for a week or two and check the forums -- nothing forced on me).

As it is now, my Pixel 3XL has an amazing battery life, a camera that really delivers, NightSight that transformed phone photography forever (and left Apple in the dust for a full year), regular updates, amazing and fast customer service through the phone, and an overall wonderful experience.

I honestly cannot see any anyone puts up with Samsung's BS. It completely confounds me. It must be the carrier relationships carried over from the old "subsidy model." Just makes no sense how anyone who likes Android can use Samsung's disk boot virus of an operating system.

Israel Martin

Oct 10, 2019
Visit site
I've tried to have stock android phones since they started. I had the G1, then the Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Nexus S. I ended up leaving once LG took over the phones because I just thought the designs were hideous, and HTC was doing a really good job with their lineup. I stuck with HTC from the M7 through the M10, but once they changed the design to the U11, I couldn't do it anymore. I could see their design language becoming something less ideal.

After that I considered the first Pixel, but ended up avoiding it because it just looked like a slightly uglier iPhone.

Ended up buying the Pixel 2 XL and loved it, despite the issues. On the Pixel 3 XL now and will definitely be getting the Pixel 4 XL.

I considered other phones, but their UIs just suck. I can't stand Samsung's ****ty UI and their bloatware. I don't know why they're forcing Bixby on everyone. I don't understand the love for Samsung's phone design either, the curved display edges just seem like more phone for me to break.

At the end of the day, I like having what's new, and I feel like system wise, at least, I get the newest from Pixel phones. I do wish their designs were a bit better, and that all companies wouldn't just eventually do what iPhone does, but it is what it is.

Todd1982

Oct 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm considering leaving team Google as well ....
Had every Google phone since the Nexus one .

I am disappointed to see the pixel 4XL still has bezels on it , if Samsung was able to move away from bezels on their s10 months ago , then what is googles excuse ?

I am seriously considering the one plus 7 pro