Gesture Navigation and Non Responsive Apps on Home Screen

kansashokie

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Ever since I upgraded to Android 10, on my Pixel 3xl, the apps on my homescreen don't always work. You press it and nothing happens. I have to tap them five or six times for an app to open. It is not always, just sometimes. If I go back to the two button navigation, it works just like it should. Anyone else have this issue?

Rick Jacobs

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Ever since I upgraded to Android 10, on my Pixel 3xl, the apps on my homescreen don't always work. You press it and nothing happens. I have to tap them five or six times for an app to open. It is not always, just sometimes. If I go back to the two button navigation, it works just like it should. Anyone else have this issue?

YUP, this started a couple of days ago. Apps I have grouped and single apps are both doing this. Tap tap tap tap the app does not open go to a different app and it opens, back to the apps that don't open and they continue to not open, a long press on the app generates haptic feedback but nothing happens.

I've tried just putting the phone down and giving it some time to clear up, I've done a Clear all on all my opened apps and if that does not work I do the dreaded phone reboot. The phone reboot where my phone can boot correctly, boots with my background missing needing another reboot to fix or the real pain of a reboot...my phone boots into a black screen.

Problem happens in Safe mode
Using Pixel launcher
No new apps installed on phone in past 3 weeks
The only change I've done to my phone is Gestures:
Settings/System/Gestures....I changed from 2-button navigation to System Gestures.

All my problems started after the upgrade from Android 9 to Android 10:

Phone boots to black screen
Phone boots missing background
Smart lock does not work
Phone goes into manual lock(?) can't charge on wireless charger
Nest Home/Away assists no longer reports daily activity
Albuquerque/Phoenix/San Diego 3g no bars
Tapping apps do not open
Battery life is terrible and I've never complained about battery life

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I got it running in safe mode and seems to be working at moment. Like I said it only does it part of time. I am going to keep it in safe mode for little bit. If it is good, will start uninstalling apps. thanks
Just in case you could check which apps have the 'Draw over other apps' permission enabled.

kansashokie

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
YUP, this started a couple of days ago. Apps I have grouped and single apps are both doing this. Tap tap tap tap the app does not open go to a different app and it opens, back to the apps that don't open and they continue to not open, a long press on the app generates haptic feedback but nothing happens.

I've tried just putting the phone down and giving it some time to clear up, I've done a Clear all on all my opened apps and if that does not work I do the dreaded phone reboot. The phone reboot where my phone can boot correctly, boots with my background missing needing another reboot to fix or the real pain of a reboot...my phone boots into a black screen.

Problem happens in Safe mode
Using Pixel launcher
No new apps installed on phone in past 3 weeks
The only change I've done to my phone is Gestures:
Settings/System/Gestures....I changed from 2-button navigation to System Gestures.

All my problems started after the upgrade from Android 9 to Android 10:

Phone boots to black screen
Phone boots missing background
Smart lock does not work
Phone goes into manual lock(?) can't charge on wireless charger
Nest Home/Away assists no longer reports daily activity
Albuquerque/Phoenix/San Diego 3g no bars
Tapping apps do not open
Battery life is terrible and I've never complained about battery life

Glad I am not only one. My battery life is good still, and I am not having missing boot loader. I haven't installed anything new either and don't have many apps on my phone, all i have is reddit, accuweather, facebook, instagram, spotify, the chive and espn fantasy sports app. Have had all of these on my phone for as long as I can remember.

Rick Jacobs

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Glad I am not only one. My battery life is good still, and I am not having missing boot loader. I haven't installed anything new either and don't have many apps on my phone, all i have is reddit, accuweather, facebook, instagram, spotify, the chive and espn fantasy sports app. Have had all of these on my phone for as long as I can remember.

Same here with my apps.....I had ZERO problems with my Pixel phone on Android 9 from the 1st boot on Android 10 and I had problems and getting anyone in Google to listen is like smacking my head with a brick.

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
If the problem doesn't occur in safe mode, then it's an app causing the problem. It will have to be located and removed. If the problem does occur in safe mode, then a factory reset is going to be needed.

kansashokie

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
You don't have a screen protector on, do you? If so, can you test it without the protector?

I do but I tried it without when android 10 first came out and I started experiencing this issue. Still same problem. On my homescreen I have chrome, play store, accuweather, messages and phone app only. It is just apps on home screen that have problem. If i swipe up into app drawer, it works fine.

kansashokie

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I found many other people on google's support page with same issues. I am copying and pasting one person's fix for it. I will also paste link to whole chain if anyone else wants to look at it.

I finally figured out how to reproduce this issue every time. First make sure and have the new system nav gestures enabled. If you then swipe up to open the app drawer, then use the back gesture from right side of screen (right to left swipe), this issue will occur every time. Swiping from the left side of screen (left to right gesture) to go back works fine however. So it may be just the right-to-left back gesture that's the issue (which I tend to use the most).

Again, swiping up and down on the app drawer will temporarily resolve this issue without needing a reboot.

I wonder if Google even reads these support threads? Maybe this will help. I did report this to Google on 10/4/2019, along with how to reproduce.

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/13553491?hl=en

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I found many other people on google's support page with same issues. I am copying and pasting one person's fix for it. I will also paste link to whole chain if anyone else wants to look at it.

I finally figured out how to reproduce this issue every time. First make sure and have the new system nav gestures enabled. If you then swipe up to open the app drawer, then use the back gesture from right side of screen (right to left swipe), this issue will occur every time. Swiping from the left side of screen (left to right gesture) to go back works fine however. So it may be just the right-to-left back gesture that's the issue (which I tend to use the most).

Again, swiping up and down on the app drawer will temporarily resolve this issue without needing a reboot.

I wonder if Google even reads these support threads? Maybe this will help. I did report this to Google on 10/4/2019, along with how to reproduce.

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/13553491?hl=en

If you want to call Google's attention to this issue, you really need to submit feedback directly to Google. Use your phone to go to Settings > About phone > now tap on "Send feedback about this device." Type your feedback. You can include the URL for this topic as well as the one on the Google Pixel Support forum.

kansashokie

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
If you want to call Google's attention to this issue, you really need to submit feedback directly to Google. Use your phone to go to Settings > About phone > now tap on "Send feedback about this device." Type your feedback. You can include the URL for this topic as well as the one on the Google Pixel Support forum.

I have been working with google, they say that they have never heard anyone else having this issue.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Puiman