Should I Factory reset from backup or don't use phone backup?

Rick Jacobs

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I did a Factory reset yesterday hoping to fix the issues I'm having with my phone since the upgrade from Android 9 to 10. I used the Factory reset from backup option but now I'm thinking all that did was reintroduce what ever phone system problems I had onto a clean install.

If I select Factory reset without backup I'm guessing this will take a lot more work to download and setup but I would not be bringing in any previous phone settings that might be causing my phone problems.

Does this sound right? Has anyone done a Factory Reset without backup, what should I expect?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The phone the way it was when you got it, excecpt on 10 instead of on 9.

In the future, unlock the bootloader, install TWRP and do your backups that way. (If you want the emulated SD card backed up too, run Tipatch patch after you install TWRP. Or you could follow Backing up an Android Device, so you could restore just what you want to install.

(The original "fix" should have been to just wipe the system cache from recovery.)

dtones39

Jul 1, 2017
Visit site
I always setup new when I get a new device or wipe it to factory settings. The majority of my apps and data are tied to an account and I really don't need my messages or phone call history. You could also setup as new, check if the problem is still there and if not, then setup your phone again. If it is still there, then just restore again using the backup.
I did a Factory reset yesterday hoping to fix the issues I'm having with my phone since the upgrade from Android 9 to 10. I used the Factory reset from backup option but now I'm thinking all that did was reintroduce what ever phone system problems I had onto a clean install.

If I select Factory reset without backup I'm guessing this will take a lot more work to download and setup but I would not be bringing in any previous phone settings that might be causing my phone problems.

Does this sound right? Has anyone done a Factory Reset without backup, what should I expect?

Rick Jacobs

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I always setup new when I get a new device or wipe it to factory settings. The majority of my apps and data are tied to an account and I really don't need my messages or phone call history. You could also setup as new, check if the problem is still there and if not, then setup your phone again. If it is still there, then just restore again using the backup.

I'm going to do a Factory reset and not use a phone backup over the weekend.

dtones39

Jul 1, 2017
Visit site
If the problem isn't there after the reset, pay attention as you set the phone up again. If the issue comes back, you may be able to isolate if it's an app that is causing the issues.

Rick Jacobs

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
If the problem isn't there after the reset, pay attention as you set the phone up again. If the issue comes back, you may be able to isolate if it's an app that is causing the issues.

After a Factory reset this morning NOT using backup to restore there were 10 Google apps on my phone. I did a reboot and the phone booted into a black screen. I've done 2 factory resets in 3 days and neither has fixed any phone problems. I called Google Fi and they did some trouble shooting and now are going to replace the phone.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I never factory reset from a backup, I only factory reset because I want a fresh start, and a device that's going to last a long time reliably. Resetting from backups can quite often bring the problems you were trying to get rid of right back like previously mentioned.

Rick Jacobs

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
After time spent with some very friendly people at Google Fi support and Factory resets with and without backups Google is going to replace the phone under warranty. I had been documenting every problem I had since the Android 10 upgrade and sent then into Google via Settings/Tips & Support/Send feedback.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Well that's good they are replacing it.

I have never used the backup system. I always do a clean reset when I do it for the reason of I don't want the bad issues coming back. Most of the time this solves any issues I've got.