Can we expect a price drop?

anon(166548)

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I was hoping the prices on the 3 series would drop when the 4 series was announced yesterday. It didn't.

Can anyone who was paying attention to the 2 series when the 3 series came out last year give a prediction on whether (and when) to expect a price drop?

BTW I'm aware the price is currently $300 off the regular (astronomical IMO) price. I'm just hoping for a better price on year-old technology.

Thanks.

coffee-turtle

Q&A Team
Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I was hoping the prices on the 3 series would drop when the 4 series was announced yesterday. It didn't.

Can anyone who was paying attention to the 2 series when the 3 series came out last year give a prediction on whether (and when) to expect a price drop?

BTW I'm aware the price is currently $300 off the regular (astronomical IMO) price. I'm just hoping for a better price on year-old technology.

Thanks.

Patience...just wait for the holidays to kick in and stores rush to push merchandise and get as much profit possible on old inventory to make way for new.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It's going to be a bit trickier with the 3A and 3XL being on the scene. I wouldn't expect Google's official pricing to dip below $600 for the 3 and $700 for the 3XL.

They've got to maintain separation so the 3A can continue to sell until the 4A launches.

That way, the 3A can be discounted by $100 and the Pixel 3 will be discontinued.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
It's going to be a bit trickier with the 3A and 3XL being on the scene. I wouldn't expect Google's official pricing to dip below $600 for the 3 and $700 for the 3XL.

They've got to maintain separation so the 3A can continue to sell until the 4A launches.

That way, the 3A can be discounted by $100 and the Pixel 3 will be discontinued.

Yeah, I doubt they would put themselves in as position to sell the regular 3 for cheaper than the A model. You're probably spot on here.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
They are discounted on Amazon already. I just picked up a P3 for only slightly more than a 3a. My last flagship with a proper FPS!

I'll admit that a part of me was still thinking that even at similar prices the 3a is still the better device.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

The 3 is currently $499 and the XL is $599. Not sure where you are getting your prices....

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The 3 is currently $499 and the XL is $599. Not sure where you are getting your prices....

Thanks, I stand corrected and see the update prices.

Pixel 3 starts at $499
Pixel 3a starts at $399
Pixel 3XL starts at $599
Pixel 3a XL starts at $479

I've heard lots of praise about the 3a on the forums and from reviewers. When it comes to Pixels, the main selling point is the camera and Google's Android experience. If that can be had on the 3a, why would anyone buy the 3? (I know there's a difference in processor and a few other things, but do a majority of people really care about anything else but the end user experience?)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Pixel 3 starts at $499
Pixel 3a starts at $399
Pixel 3XL starts at $599

I've heard lots of praise about the 3a on the forums and from reviewers. When it comes to Pixels, the main selling point is the camera and Google's Android experience. If that can be had on the 3a, why would anyone buy the 3? (I know there's a difference in processor and a few other things, but do a majority of people really care about anything else but the end user experience?)
I'm on the 3a very good phone, you would get the regular 3 if you want wireless charging ,ip water resistant .

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
I think the 3 XL could be the better Pixel to use in late 2019 and beyond especially since you can hide the notch via the developer options

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I doubt they would put themselves in as position to sell the regular 3 for cheaper than the A model. You're probably spot on here.

I didn't think they would drop the P3 prices down to $499 from $799. So if this practice stays in place for the next cycle, we could see a P4 get dropped to $499 by this time next year.

Their pricing models and trade-in values are interesting to me.

The Pixel 3 debuted at $799 and discounted to $499, 1 year later. If I want to trade this device into Google now, they'll offer $225 of credit. Over a year, this device depreciated 71%.

anon(166548)

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the 3a very good phone, you would get the regular 3 if you want wireless charging ,ip water resistant .

The wireless charging was why I was interested in the 3XL over the 3aXL. And the lack of fingerprint (plus the price, OMG!) means the 4XL is out of the question for me.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The wireless charging was why I was interested in the 3XL over the 3aXL. And the lack of fingerprint (plus the price, OMG!) means the 4XL is out of the question for me.
I don't blame , I like wireless charging also but wanted to try out pixel3a line since I already have pixel 2xl and 3xl.

dtones39

Jul 1, 2017
Visit site
I just picked up a 3XL 64 gb new from Amazon for $551, pretty good deal. I'll wait until Black Friday or around that time for the pixel 4 and see if they have another buy one get one half off deal.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
The pixel 3 line has been a poor seller, that's why the "permanent" sales prices. Google needs to make flagship quality phones if they're going to charge flagship prices. And the 4xl looks just like a 2xl with a couple extra tricks. Very underwhelming..... I was expecting a lot more :-(

Ten Four

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
My guess is that Google won't drop the price of the Pixel 3 more, but might offer special deals via Project Fi. Sign up for service and get a Pixel 3 for an additional $100 off, or something like that. They are currently offering $100 Fi credit with a Pixel 4.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 6, 2013
Visit site
I got the Pixel 3xl 128gb for $499 last month. I swore the iPhone X was the last time I would spend $1000 + on a phone, and I'm sticking to it. Smartphones are plateauing, there's less and less manufactures can do with the format which why we are seeing all of these "ho-hum' incremental yearly updates. I guess my point would be that I've shifted from "gotta have the latest & greatest at any price", to "Last years tech at half the price is ok by me" ...
Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 6.01.58 AM.png

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Pixel 3 starts at $499
Pixel 3a starts at $399
Pixel 3XL starts at $599

Well for only 100 dollars difference the 3 offers more features and a different build.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The pixel 3 line has been a poor seller, that's why the "permanent" sales prices. Google needs to make flagship quality phones if they're going to charge flagship prices. And the 4xl looks just like a 2xl with a couple extra tricks. Very underwhelming..... I was expecting a lot more :-(
I must admit that I thought once the HTC team got involved we would see something more promising.