Good morning everyone, hope you all doing well.

I've recently considered purchasing the Pixel 3XL but I wanted to ask some Pixel owners if they know the answer to this as it's a deal breaker for purchasing.

I'm aware that Google allows you to hide the bath tub notch at the top of the screen from the settings. However, does that "hiding" remain in place when you open apps as well? E.g. playing games, watching moves, opening the camera app?

Is that hiding a permanent feature and blocks all apps from using the "extra" screen restate?

Thank you very much in advance everyone!
    11-15-2019 12:38 AM

I've recently considered purchasing the Pixel 3XL but I wanted to ask some Pixel owners if they know the answer to this as it's a deal breaker for purchasing.

I'm aware that Google allows you to hide the bath tub notch at the top of the screen from the settings. However, does that "hiding" remain in place when you open apps as well? E.g. playing games, watching moves, opening the camera app?

Is that hiding a permanent feature and blocks all apps from using the "extra" screen restate?

Hi, good morning to you! Welcome to the forums! I've never actually tried the display caught out setting on my Pixel 3 XL until now. I'll provide you some screenshots I took of different apps with the setting turned on. However, it does work in all settings and all applications. As far as I can tell. The downside comes as you lose some screen real estate on the very top of the screen. But that's up to your personal preference of course :-)
    11-15-2019 07:09 AM
    Hi, good morning to you! Welcome to the forums! I've never actually tried the display caught out setting on my Pixel 3 XL until now. I'll provide you some screenshots I took of different apps with the setting turned on. However, it does work in all settings and all applications. As far as I can tell. The downside comes as you lose some screen real estate on the very top of the screen. But that's up to your personal preference of course :-) [IMG=360x697]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191115/6377b8ec339e3c3d58ce5f0d013f8505.jpg[/url][IMG=360x697]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191115/1f0d0c95eab709d002aa909c604f35e7.jpg[/url]
    Thank you for your reply. You have been quite helpful.

That's good to know. I really dislike the notch but not really concerned with the lost screen space (coming from a smaller phone it's still a upgrade in size)

I really love the phone, 4o if I'm able to hide the notch in ALL applications through the settings then that's perfect and I'll give it a buy.

My only concern was that it would hide the notch certain apps but not all. Thank you again for your assistance.
    11-15-2019 10:03 AM

That's good to know. I really dislike the notch but not really concerned with the lost screen space (coming from a smaller phone it's still a upgrade in size)

I really love the phone, 4o if I'm able to hide the notch in ALL applications through the settings then that's perfect and I'll give it a buy.

My only concern was that it would hide the notch certain apps but not all. Thank you again for your assistance.
    Yeah, even when I got My Pixel 3 XL with the notch, I was never too worried about the notch even though everyone else went nuts about it! I honestly don't even notice the notch anymore through YouTube or any other application I use on my phone. The pixel 4 is nice but if you have a pixel 3, there's not much of an upgrade to justify a pixel 4 :-)
    11-15-2019 12:19 PM

Yes, force hide notch from developers option will force hide EVERYWHERE.
    Mr MnmlEngr likes this.
    11-15-2019 06:37 PM

You could try the Nacho Notch app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...xda.nachonotch

I've used it on two different phones (Moto G7+ Android 9 and OnePlus 7 Android 9 and 10) and it works great.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    11-15-2019 06:41 PM
    I've found hiding the notch somehow affects performance a titch. Might have something to do with re-canoitering the graphics on every screen.
    11-15-2019 07:18 PM
    Yes, quite possibly so. like I said, I've never used that setting in developer options so I can't speak to it. But that would make a lot of sense.
    11-15-2019 07:44 PM
    Otherwise no noticeable screen appearance difference
    eric002 likes this.
    11-15-2019 08:21 PM
    Kate and I both have Pixel 3 XL's. We both found the notch distasteful and we didn't buy until satisfied that the notch could be eliminated through the Developer Option. We've had them for over a year now and never see a notch with any app. We are both quite pleased with our 3 XL's on Google Fi.
    11-17-2019 03:43 PM
    If you use dark mode and a dark wallpaper (I do), the notch is not really noticeable
    11-17-2019 04:19 PM
    If you use dark mode and a dark wallpaper (I do), the notch is not really noticeable
    Yep yep, true that! Sometimes that's what I do! And I enjoy my notch. It doesn't bother me whatsoever. But you're right, with a darker wallpaper, you barely see the notch whatsoever!
    11-17-2019 04:59 PM
    The one simple thing Google could have done to ease the pain of the notch would have been to, when hiding the notch, used the space left and right of it for the clock, battery, signal, and notification icons. That would have allowed the remaining "non-notched" display to offer slightly more screen real estate for the rest.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    11-19-2019 10:45 PM
    The one simple thing Google could have done to ease the pain of the notch would have been to, when hiding the notch, used the space left and right of it for the clock, battery, signal, and notification icons. That would have allowed the remaining "non-notched" display to offer slightly more screen real estate for the rest.
    That's exactly what the Nacho Notch app does, as I mentioned above. I agree with you, though, that option should be stock.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    11-20-2019 06:50 AM
    Kate and I both have Pixel 3 XL's. We both found the notch distasteful and we didn't buy until satisfied that the notch could be eliminated through the Developer Option. We've had them for over a year now and never see a notch with any app. We are both quite pleased with our 3 XL's on Google Fi.
    Awesome, thank you for the reply. Everyone's comments have been very helpful. I'll definitely give the phone a purchase!

Just need keep a look out for Black Friday deal and then swoop in.
    11-21-2019 10:53 AM