Convince me why (or why I shouldn't) buy a Pixel 3 XL

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Update: so in the end, despite my misgivings, that "massive discount" (thank you, Best Buy) was too hard to pass up and went with the Pixel 4 XL anyways. :) Thanks for everyone's thoughts on the 3 though!
That's so awesome! Happy Phone Day/Week! What storage size/colour did you get?!

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Update: so in the end, despite my misgivings, that "massive discount" (thank you, Best Buy) was too hard to pass up and went with the Pixel 4 XL anyways. :) Thanks for everyone's thoughts on the 3 though!
I did what I adviced you. Bought mint pixel 3 xl for $360. I see absolutely no need to pay up for Pixel 4 XL. That said, co graduations. Enjoy your new phone.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
That's so awesome! Happy Phone Day/Week! What storage size/colour did you get?!

I went with the 128 GB in black. The white wasn't available to pick up or ship when I ordered it. I might put a skin on it anyways to give it my own flavor.

I did what I adviced you. Bought mint pixel 3 xl for $360. I see absolutely no need to pay up for Pixel 4 XL. That said, co graduations. Enjoy your new phone.

A Pixel 3 XL in mint condition for $360 is really good, congrats to you!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Exciting! Let us know how you like it.

I'm still very much on the fence about ultimately upgrading to the 4 XL or sticking with the 3 XL until the 5 comes out. The unlimited Original Quality Google Photos backup on the 3 XL continues to loom large as a reason to hold off. Oh well, I already did my part in throwing money at Google this year by snagging an i5 Pixel Slate, which I'm enjoying immensely.:p

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Exciting! Let us know how you like it.

I'm still very much on the fence about ultimately upgrading to the 4 XL or sticking with the 3 XL until the 5 comes out. The unlimited Original Quality Google Photos backup on the 3 XL continues to loom large as a reason to hold off. Oh well, I already did my part in throwing money at Google this year by snagging an i5 Pixel Slate, which I'm enjoying immensely.:p

That's what my primary reason for holding off. However, I have a Google One subscription I've had for awhile (it was a Drive subscription before). From what I understand, any uploads I do to Photos will remain in full resolution.

Edit: side note, you're still liking the Slate? My Pixelbook is a little over a year old now, and after seeing the Pixelbook Go, I'm glad I'm sticking with the original Pixelbook. :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
you're still liking the Slate?

Oh yeah, it's quite nice, and at the significant discount, it was a great deal. I got the Brydge keyboard, which in some ways is even better than the Pixelbook's. The speakers are astonishingly good for a tablet/laptop, with unusually rich bass. Display is brilliant, performance is great, and the tablet UI works fine (although I don't use it much that way so far).

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
^^^The deal on those (and getting the choice of accessory) is pretty great! I'd jump on it too, but it may be a bit overkill in my household to pick up yet another Chromebook (Pixelbook, Samsung Chromebook Plus, Acer clamshell), even if it is a tablet. :D

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
^^^The deal on those (and getting the choice of accessory) is pretty great! I'd jump on it too, but it may be a bit overkill in my household to pick up yet another Chromebook (Pixelbook, Samsung Chromebook Plus, Acer clamshell), even if it is a tablet. :D

This is my vice. I already have a Pixelbook, an HP X360 14, and an Acer Chromebook Tab 10. I gave my older Lenovo Thinkpad Chromebook 13 to my daughter, and plan on giving her the Tab 10 as a Christmas gift (since she'd love the art options with the stylus).

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
This is my vice. I already have a Pixelbook, an HP X360 14, and an Acer Chromebook Tab 10. I gave my older Lenovo Thinkpad Chromebook 13 to my daughter, and plan on giving her the Tab 10 as a Christmas gift (since she'd love the art options with the stylus).

Nice! I was seriously considering getting the Slate, and my kids have the other two Chromebooks (my wife has a Macbook Air, meh.). My working tablets are still running, but definitely on the old side (Nexus 7, Nexus 10) which the kids also use. So the want is there, but I have put my spending on other things. My son wants to build a gaming desktop for Christmas, my daughter wants a modern Polaroid, and I have no clue what to get the wifey yet on the gadget front. :)

RickInHouston

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure this is my la st Pixel. If they can't keep up with a tablet and / or watch - then I'm done. Just bought an Active 2 Tizen run watch. It's been great. I'd like to have more features available to me in the watch so a Samsung phone looks like my next choice. Buh-by Pixel and Google hardware.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I'm pretty sure this is my la st Pixel. If they can't keep up with a tablet and / or watch - then I'm done. Just bought an Active 2 Tizen run watch. It's been great. I'd like to have more features available to me in the watch so a Samsung phone looks like my next choice. Buh-by Pixel and Google hardware.
Note 10+ is what you need. And Samsung Buds. So good