Pixel 3 battery rapidly draining charge

Apple2Droid

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Installing the accubattery pro app will give you very detailed discharging information which could also isolate the issue for you

I have Accubattery Pro though, unfortunately, I hadn't yet installed it on this phone–I've only had the phone for a few months. I still follow their charging guidelines though.

Apple2Droid

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everyone for all of your helpful replies! So here's what I did . . .

This phone had a few bad pixels in the upper left corner that only bothered me in the beginning but given this and the charging issue, and the fact that Google was no help at all and wouldn't tell me if they would honor the warranty, I jumped on a Note 10 sale at the Microsoft store. I had traded a Pixel 2 on one in September, then returned the Note 10, so I got a $450 gift card for the Pixel 2 trade. The Note 10 was $200 off and there was a $300 trade in on the Pixel 3 (exactly what I paid for it), and there was a free wireless charger as part of the promotion. So with my gift card from my previous trade-in I spent $47 in taxes for this phone.

If I had gotten assurance that Google would have warranted the phone I would have stuck with it and tried a factory reset to see if that fixed the issue. They not only didn't say if they would or wouldn't honor the warranty, the "support" that they provided didn't even address my issue. The fact that the promo on the Note 10 ended on Sunday I just decided to go with it. –I do much prefer the Pixel experience though.

mustang7757 - Yes, I do realize that you're laughing at me right about now, or rolling your eyes at the very least . . . FYI, i'm running the Note 10 in renegade mode, i.e. no signing into Samsung anything and no Samsung permissions granted.

Apple2Droid

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue, along with some funky functionality of the phone in general. I've had a pixel OG and now 3xl, I've never had to factory reset, but decided to do it as I figured it was a rouge app.

Did it on new years, it's been perfect ever since.

Solved the battery issue as will as the functionality issues I was having.

Thanks for your post. I would have done this but I also had another issue with the phone and just made an impulse trade-in for a Note 10.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks everyone for all of your helpful replies! So here's what I did . . .

This phone had a few bad pixels in the upper left corner that only bothered me in the beginning but given this and the charging issue, and the fact that Google was no help at all and wouldn't tell me if they would honor the warranty, I jumped on a Note 10 sale at the Microsoft store. I had traded a Pixel 2 on one in September, then returned the Note 10, so I got a $450 gift card for the Pixel 2 trade. The Note 10 was $200 off and there was a $300 trade in on the Pixel 3 (exactly what I paid for it), and there was a free wireless charger as part of the promotion. So with my gift card from my previous trade-in I spent $47 in taxes for this phone.

If I had gotten assurance that Google would have warranted the phone I would have stuck with it and tried a factory reset to see if that fixed the issue. They not only didn't say if they would or wouldn't honor the warranty, the "support" that they provided didn't even address my issue. The fact that the promo on the Note 10 ended on Sunday I just decided to go with it. –I do much prefer the Pixel experience though.

mustang7757 - Yes, I do realize that you're laughing at me right about now, or rolling your eyes at the very least . . . FYI, i'm running the Note 10 in renegade mode, i.e. no signing into Samsung anything and no Samsung permissions granted.
I'm not judging:)
Good luck with the new phone it's really good one

Apple2Droid

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Before you give up on the phone factory reset it and set it up as a NEW phone, don't restore anything.... that will remove all third party apps from the picture. If it's fine you'll know it was a rogue third party app causing the problem. If it's not you'll know the phone has an issue, then contact Google and get a replacement.

I always have at least one backup phone completely set-up and ready for a quick sim swap if something happens to my main phone ;-)

Thanks! I would have done that but the phone had another issue and I wasn't sure if Google would honor the warranty on it so I made an impulse trade on a Note 10 and got exactly what I paid for it back in the trade. I've been thinking about keeping a backup for a while, and I thought the P3 would be my backup moving forward. I might opt for a Pixel 4a as the backup when it comes out. Thanks again!

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday evening I noticed battery level had dropped to 35% around 1800. I didn't think too much about it as I got caught up in dinner and then Netflix. Had the intention to take a look at battery utilization, but by the time I looked again at 2200, phone had shut down. Battery level dropped to 0% (could only see that after connecting to wired USB C charger once the phone powered back up).

I'm working from home and on WiFi all day along with strong Verizon signal. The only things I used the Pixel 3 for yesterday were light texting, checking email, and about 55 minutes as a hotspot while out during lunchtime workout. When I got home after the workout, battery level was around 75%. So, something decided to grab CPU cycles afterward.

I was planning to investigate before bedtime, but was not able to check due to the phone shutting down (caught up in Netflix and forgot to look). So, is there an app I can install that can go back and show historical battery utilization details? I've used GSam Battery Monitor Pro in the past, but after Android 10 - I think - root access was required to get details, so I uninstalled the app. Or is there a way to check historical battery utilization details using the built-in Battery settings and its features? The May system/security update is installed, while the Google Play Services is still on the March update.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007