I want to be able to dump calls without the caller knowing that I'm dumping them. I just want the caller to think I'm not near by my phone. I used to be able to do this by hitting the side volume key and it would silence/not vibrate any more and the screen would go off and the call would go to vm after several rings.

Now, when I hit the volume or power button, the call keeps showing on the screen. There's been a time or two when I do this and put the phone in my pocket and it actually answers the call...horrendous! The only way to get rid of the call is to hit decline and the person knows I dumped them. I don't want to do that and I want the phone to just ignore the rest of the ringing.

Does that make sense? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
    01-08-2020 09:27 AM
    What happens if you turn on Do Not Disturb while the phone is ringing? (I've never tried it myself.)
    01-08-2020 11:35 AM
    Flip to shhh is on ?
    01-08-2020 12:13 PM
    I want to be able to dump calls without the caller knowing that I'm dumping them. I just want the caller to think I'm not near by my phone. I used to be able to do this by hitting the side volume key and it would silence/not vibrate any more and the screen would go off and the call would go to vm after several rings.

Now, when I hit the volume or power button, the call keeps showing on the screen. There's been a time or two when I do this and put the phone in my pocket and it actually answers the call...horrendous! The only way to get rid of the call is to hit decline and the person knows I dumped them. I don't want to do that and I want the phone to just ignore the rest of the ringing.

Does that make sense? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
    It's an extra step but you can hit the volume button to silence the call and then the power button to turn off the screen. I just verified it on my Pixel 3XL.
    01-08-2020 01:09 PM
    Thanks, guys. No, I did not have DND or flip to shh on and would rather not do it that way. I'm going to go with Derek's recommendation. I tried that solution before, but it didn't seem to work. I tried again and it initially didn't work, but I think you have to hit the power button TWICE. After the first time, the screen came back on again. So for me it was volume, power, power. Then the screen goes black and I can put it back in my pocket without fear of answering. Thank you all. Appreciate it.
    mustang7757, B. Diddy and Derek_B like this.
    01-08-2020 02:30 PM